Woman dies in snowmobile accident

Woman dies in snowmobile accident

There are 14 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Jan 5, 2010, titled Woman dies in snowmobile accident. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

An 18-year-old woman died Saturday night when she fell off one snowmobile and was struck in the head by another sled following behind, Vermont State Police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

just me

San Antonio, TX

#1 Jan 5, 2010
And the snowmobiler still has a free pass when it comes to riding and alcohol. When is the state going to say enough is enough? If you consume alcohol and ride a snowmobile you should be subject to to the SAME laws as if you were on any other motorised vehicle-car==motorcycle--boat lawnmower and even non motorised like horseback ALL have laws governing drunk driving. But not here in Mass. it's a free ride. NOT ALL SNOWMOBILERS are intoxicated but there are quite a few as it seems all trails lead to a drinking establishment. TIME to change a few laws such as the dui laws--put registration numbers back on the sleds--back to shut down trails after 11 pm and increase patrols by the Mass Enviromental police. They were out on Jan 1st for registrations why can't they be that way for dui?
Rob

Berne, NY

#2 Jan 5, 2010
Saturday? Today is Tuesday - this has been blogged about for days. This pitiful paper is a bit late. Dawson you can go back to sleep now.

Snowmobile + Drinking = Tragedy....
Knowsitall

Roxbury, VT

#3 Jan 5, 2010
Rob wrote:
Saturday? Today is Tuesday - this has been blogged about for days. This pitiful paper is a bit late. Dawson you can go back to sleep now.
Snowmobile + Drinking = Tragedy....
FYI: This is a Bennington Banner story picked up by the Eagle. The story posted SUNDAY on the Banner Web site. Of course, if the Beagle was more truthful about publishing their sister papers' stories it wouldn't look they're always a day late.
Pittsfield Resident

Watervliet, NY

#4 Jan 5, 2010
just me wrote:
And the snowmobiler still has a free pass when it comes to riding and alcohol. When is the state going to say enough is enough? If you consume alcohol and ride a snowmobile you should be subject to to the SAME laws as if you were on any other motorised vehicle-car==motorcycle--boat lawnmower and even non motorised like horseback ALL have laws governing drunk driving. But not here in Mass. it's a free ride. NOT ALL SNOWMOBILERS are intoxicated but there are quite a few as it seems all trails lead to a drinking establishment. TIME to change a few laws such as the dui laws--put registration numbers back on the sleds--back to shut down trails after 11 pm and increase patrols by the Mass Enviromental police. They were out on Jan 1st for registrations why can't they be that way for dui?
This was a Vermont accidnet.
Adams Resident

Clockville, NY

#5 Jan 5, 2010
just me wrote:
This accident occured in Vermont. But I do agree with you, if you are driving drunk it should not matter what you are driving or where you are driving, if you have an accident you should be charged with DUI
orion09

Davenport, IA

#6 Jan 5, 2010
cars... offroading....boating....perso nal watercraft....water skiing...snow skiing..sky diving...scuba diving..motorcycles...snowmobi ling...

leave the freek'n booze at home for later enjoyment!!you reap what ya sow
Pittsfield

AOL

#7 Jan 5, 2010
My condolences go out to the family..An accident no matter how it happens is tragic.
AMB

Williston, VT

#8 Jan 5, 2010
guys, ive been looking at a lot of online news papers, and they are all the same when it comes to the comments, and i know the whole truth of what happened, because i am family to one of the people involved...first of all, drinking was not key thing here...weather made visibilty low, there were only two snowmobiles riding, and it was in a field not a trail, and before anyone puts the blame on the drivers, realize that this was just a freak accident, no one is to blame, the driver of jessica was 100 percent sober, and the other driver had been drinking but who is to say he was obliviated? Also, the driver of jess, my brother, worked on jessica for as long as it took for paramedics to arrive, so please understand that drinking is not the highlight of this event, it was just a freak accident consisting of people in the wrong place at the wrong time
Prayers

Springfield, MA

#9 Jan 5, 2010
Understanding that these very young adults and a teenager involved all the laws in the world would not have prevented this. They were on private land. Most important here is that a beautiful young lady lost her life and the young men involved will suffer throughout life. There is a grief stricken family left behind. They will circle the dark drain of despair for years to come. This could have been anyone's child, anyone's son on the other sled. Orion09 should remember that what goes around comes around. Perhaps your family will be next to endure such a terrifying, heartwrenching tragedy.
My prayers go out to all involved with sincere heartfelt love.
AMB

Williston, VT

#10 Jan 5, 2010
just me wrote:
There are laws about driving a motorised vehicle, and bicycles and such, the reason that they dont apply her is because it was not on a VAST trail, it was on private property (these are veromont laws, idk about mass ones)
unknown

AOL

#11 Jan 6, 2010
Kids are going to be kids there out joy riding on their new toys and a very bad accident happen's.Im sure the kid who was driving the snowmobile that hit the girl feels really bad and very sorry.It was very stupid to be drinking and riding a snowmoblie but we did things like that when we were kids,it doesn't make it right but one loss of life is enough.Im sure that those kikds won't ever drink and drive again.Give a kid an OUI and all that would ruin his life.Believe me I know!!!
unknown

AOL

#12 Jan 6, 2010
My prayers go out to the girls family im sorry for your loss. May god bless you all
angry young man

AOL

#13 Jan 6, 2010
orion09 wrote:
cars... offroading....boating....perso nal watercraft....water skiing...snow skiing..sky diving...scuba diving..motorcycles...snowmobi ling...
leave the freek'n booze at home for later enjoyment!!you reap what ya sow
You mean to tell me you never did anything stupid like that when you were at that age?I know I certainly did im not proud of but im man enough to admit it!
ur mom

Union, ME

#15 Jan 22, 2010
You know what I love snowmobiling so enough, and stop complaining

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Snowmobiling Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Teenagers Disappear While Snowmobiling (Mar '08) Jun '16 Shellysmom 112
News Cycling makes the grade at Tourism Northern Ont... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Polly 1
News Snow safety focus of task force (Jan '15) Jan '15 markey da masshole 2
News WGRZ News - A Family's Devastation (Mar '08) Dec '14 Cici75 55
News Charges possible in moose encounter (Apr '14) Apr '14 sled dog 1
News Three people die in weekend snowmobiling accide... (Feb '06) Mar '14 Anonymous 13
News Idaho man dies in snowmobile accident (Feb '12) Feb '13 YelIowback Crack 24
More from around the web