Snowmobiler seeks $50,000 from East G...

Snowmobiler seeks $50,000 from East Grand Forks for 'negligence'

There are 30 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 2, 2009, titled Snowmobiler seeks $50,000 from East Grand Forks for 'negligence'. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

One of the two men who drove snowmobiles over the dam on the Red River north of Grand Forks and East Grand Forks has filed a claim for $50,000 with the city of East Grand Forks for what his attorney says are injuries due to the city's negligence.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Natasha Badanoff

Minneapolis, MN

#22 Apr 2, 2009
The Independent Voter wrote:
Good thing for Bruce the city can't counter sue for being stupid.
Sure wish they could!!!
Bobby

Minneapolis, MN

#23 Apr 2, 2009
They should also sue their parents, for raising such stupid kids.
Jack

Shakopee, MN

#24 Apr 2, 2009
Incredible wrote:
<quoted text>
This is why he is suing! Don't you see it? The signs were REMOVED March 7 (I think) to protect them from damage, so the city is liable (because they were NOT there) for not warning him before he went over the dam. They are not liable because the dam is there, they are liable because they took down the signs. I am guessing that is what the city council member was considering, at least.
There is now way he should win, but even if he loses, the city will still be stuck with the legal cost to defend itself. This is EXACTLY why there should be federal law that requires the payment of the legal costs to the person / entity that is sued if the person suing loses. And it should be directly from lawyer to lawyer, and it cannot be passed on to the claimant. This would take money out of the lawyers' pockets that bring these stupid lawsuits, hoping one in ten pays off.
What will happen is the insurance company will settle for some amount because to them its a simple cost analysis. If they can cut a check for less then what they think it will cost them to defend against this suit, regardless of the merit of the case, then its in their (and their stockholder's) interest to go with the cheapest route. The lawyers know this so they bring up all these "protect the idiot (i.e. my client) from themselves" suits. The insurance companies are only concerned about short-term profit (this quarter, this year) so they don't care about the long term affect of more "idiot" cases becasue they will just raise the premiums to cover those costs.
Just another symptom of what's wrong with the US business environment and led us into the big economic mess we're in.
attn_required

Minneapolis, MN

#25 Apr 2, 2009
GOTTA LOVE AMERICA!!! Where it even pays to be STUPID!!!!
Common Sense

Saint Paul, MN

#26 Apr 2, 2009
TORT REFORM!
Taxpayer

Brainerd, MN

#27 Apr 2, 2009
He lives there and doesn't know about the dam?
Your Maine Man

Mahwah, NJ

#28 Apr 3, 2009
In most of the New England states, if you put your sled on any body of water, you are traveling "at your own risk", and I don't believe your vehicle insurance will cover any loss. Be that a car out on a frozen lake ice fishing, or a snowmobile scooting across a river or lake. Also, most land owners end up signing agreements with snow mobile clubs to waive responsibility of injury for use of their land. Takes just a few knuckle heads though to screw everything up for the masses. If he was from East Grand Forks, would he not have known about the dam?
Mark Kulda

Maple Grove, MN

#29 Apr 3, 2009
Hopefully if the case ever gets very far, a judge or jury will find that snowmobiling in this manner carries an inherent risk and is not compensable.
Then they can ask for sanctions against the plaintiff and his lawyer for bringing a frivolous suit.

Since: Sep 08

Saint Paul, MN

#30 Apr 3, 2009
Freedom wrote:
The democrats and their lawyer backers are busy changing laws to make it easier to sue. Lawsuits like this are the result.
can you say Norm Coleman?
charlie brown

Minneapolis, MN

#31 Apr 9, 2009
why is someone else negligent for your risky adventures?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Snowmobiling Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cycling makes the grade at Tourism Northern Ont... Dec '15 Polly 1
News Snow safety focus of task force (Jan '15) Jan '15 markey da masshole 2
News WGRZ News - A Family's Devastation (Mar '08) Dec '14 Cici75 55
News Charges possible in moose encounter (Apr '14) Apr '14 sled dog 1
News Three people die in weekend snowmobiling accide... (Feb '06) Mar '14 Anonymous 13
News Idaho man dies in snowmobile accident (Feb '12) Feb '13 YelIowback Crack 24
News Morning Briefing Weekend (Feb '12) Feb '12 pissed off mill rat 2
More from around the web