West's column an outrage

West's column an outrage

There are 18 comments on the Vallejo Times-Herald story from Jun 19, 2008, titled West's column an outrage. In it, Vallejo Times-Herald reports that:

As a Christian who loves her country and led prayers for our honored dead on a recent Sunday, I feel the need to express my outrage at Diana West's May 28 column in which she defends American soldiers using the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Vallejo Times-Herald.

Nici

Washington, DC

#1 Jun 19, 2008
Well written and very good letter. I completely agree Muhammad (and I am not a Mulsim i'm a catholic actually but I have read several books on Islam and Muhammad because I do not make judments until I have gotten an understanding of the situation) stated very clearly that Muslims, Christians and Jewish persons were to live peacefully together. The jihadists warp the teachings to their benfits... I can think of quite a few times Jesus's words have been warped to fit the view of radicals. However You can not judge a whole religion on the radicals.
NancyPelosi

United States

#2 Jun 19, 2008
It is just a book, like so many other books it's just words on paper.
The usefullness of the message is in the head and heart of the user.
Your letter is a lot of bluster and after reading it and thinking about your words, I have come to the conclusion that you must be a liberal
Santa Claus

United States

#3 Jun 19, 2008
Religion makes people nuts.
Steven

Vallejo, CA

#4 Jun 19, 2008
"NancyPelosi" doesn't like Rev. Grey's message of peaceful coexistence and so assigns her an invective "liberal" label? Real nice. Bravo to the good Reverend for her thoughtful letter.

“Judge Much?”

Since: Apr 08

Vallejo

#5 Jun 19, 2008
NancyPelosi wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that you must be a liberal
And that has what to do with anything? You are not a liberal. Doesn't mean a thing to me,'tis your right.

Question: Are you of the opinion that we should only have one party?

Question: Do you beleive only in liberal or conservative and that there is no one that agrees with some side on one issue and another side on another issue?

Perhaps you should join up with White Power who has recently joined our discussions, I am sure he is quite conservative.

“Judge Much?”

Vallejo

#6 Jun 19, 2008
Santa Claus wrote:
Religion makes people nuts.
People have died since the dawn of time for religion. Religion = power. I find it sad that so many die for religions based on the same foundations, peace, and care/respect for fellow man.
gun metal blue

San Francisco, CA

#7 Jun 19, 2008
would seem odd to me the Qur'an in english. of course its odd that schools are more and more allowing it into schools as a study subject yet they seem to believe it is more history then being christian is so studing the christian faith is NOT allowed. somehow equal treatment is forgotton as is seperation of church and state. except when the christian faith is involved.
The Sweede

San Rafael, CA

#8 Jun 19, 2008
I agree with Santa...religion does make people nuts, always has and a quick look at world history and the nightly news will reaffirm that. ALL religions. That said it is just a book, with words and guidelines to follow. It is a symbol, and in particular, people that bow their heads to the Qur'an are very serious about symbolism and imagery. Like when the Dane made those cartoons a couple years ago--they went nuts, and world governments caved into their pressure as many of them rioted in the streets of various countries. They also like to burn things like pictures of world leaders, and the American Flag, again the fascination with symbolism. I realize that not all people of Islamic faith take part in this lopsided, bigoted, hateful, better than thou ritualistic behavior. Most Islamics are peaceful people and wish these degenerate radicals would dry up and blow away.
I do think it is interesting though that in Christianity there are the fundamentalist wackos with weird and sometimes harmful ways of going about their lives, but they don't seem to get all worked up about things when their symbols are desecrated or abominated. I mean, we just don't see these wacko's rioting in the streets, burning things, blowing things up, etc..
If I were religious I would just have faith in my ideas and beliefs and not let what others do to the symbology of my religion get me all riled up, after all, others cannot touch your soul...right?
A nutty world indeed!
Springs Road Resident

Fremont, CA

#9 Jun 19, 2008
The Q'uran and Vicki Gray, what do you think they would do to you in the countries of the Faithful Servants. Screw Islam! As for you Vicki Gray, give it up, you are useless to the nth degree.
educate

Hayward, CA

#10 Jun 19, 2008
gun metal blue wrote:
would seem odd to me the Qur'an in english. of course its odd that schools are more and more allowing it into schools as a study subject yet they seem to believe it is more history then being christian is so studing the christian faith is NOT allowed.
Almost all universities offer a course that studies the bible as literature, as well as other courses that cover Christianity as a religion. I took a History of Western Civilizations class and we had to study all branches of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam extensively. Also, why is it odd that the Qur'an has been translated to English? The Bible was not written in English either.
Well written and eloquently stated, Vicki Gray.
Sherrie Connelly

Elk Grove, CA

#11 Jun 19, 2008
I want to commend the Rev. Vicki Gray's insightful and important letter. It is a good education for all of us. Thank you, Vicki.

Since: Jan 08

Elk Grove, CA

#12 Jun 19, 2008
PS Since I wasn't properly logged in before the system assigned me to Fresno, CA which is not correct. I am a hospital chaplain at UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, CA, and used to live in Vallejo.
Blake Ross

New York, NY

#13 Jun 19, 2008
America needs to understand and accept the rest of the world. Not demonize it for the political profits of a few, I have never seen so many rabid pawns in some rich man's game as these neocon christian right kooks.

Rev. Gray demonstrates simple intelligence.
Is that too much to ask?

“Judge Much?”

Vallejo

#14 Jun 19, 2008
The Sweede wrote:
I do think it is interesting though that in Christianity there are the fundamentalist wackos with weird and sometimes harmful ways of going about their lives, but they don't seem to get all worked up about things when their symbols are desecrated or abominated. I mean, we just don't see these wacko's rioting in the streets, burning things, blowing things up, etc..

If I were religious I would just have faith in my ideas and beliefs and not let what others do to the symbology of my religion get me all riled up, after all, others cannot touch your soul...right?
A nutty world indeed!
Sweede, for the most part I agree strongly with your post. With the exception of the Christian fundamentalist whackos you refer to. There have been a lot of Jewish and Islamic houses of worship being blown up, tagged with racist slurs, not to mention doctors, nurses, and patients shot at, and some killed at many a health institution. There have been a couple of christian churches burned in the last 2 years, both in the south, but they were primarily houses of worship attended by mostly black congregations. I postulate that these acts may have been done by fundamentalist christians, or at the very least, appluded by them.

The last part of your post said with much more tact than I have what I would have said, and in less words as well :-)

“Judge Much?”

Vallejo

#15 Jun 19, 2008
Springs Road Resident wrote:
The Q'uran and Vicki Gray, what do you think they would do to you in the countries of the Faithful Servants. Screw Islam! As for you Vicki Gray, give it up, you are useless to the nth degree.
No person is useless, and something can be learned from all. You are a sad, angry person, I pity you for your lack of ability to walk in another's shoes, even for a moment, to try to understand what they are really saying. I certianly try to understand the motivations behind your strongly worded posts, for to be so strongly worded, you must have some very good personal reasons to say what you do. You do not, it appears have that ability nor care to learn. Again, I pity you.
LTC Steve Stover

United States

#16 Jun 20, 2008
Rev. Gray,
I could not have said it better. Maj. Gen Jeffery Hammond truly cares about his Soldiers and the Iraqi people. Only an ignorant person would offend those we have, first and foremost, a mission to protect. Our mission, which we have shed our blood, sweat and tears, is to protect the people. Ultimately, each day we serve, we are giving the Iraqi people time; time for the Iraqi Security Forces to improve, time for the government to take care of their people, and time to find and rid Iraq of terrorists and criminals. We are your Soldiers. We represent America each day we are here. How will others remember us? What will be our legacy? Hopefully, they will remember our selfless service and sacrifice.
Very Respectfully,
LTC Steve Stover
Multi-National Division-Baghdad and 4th Inf. Div.
Side note. Everyone keeps spelling my boss' name wrong. AP-style it is Maj. Gen. Jeffery Hammond.
LTC Steve Stover

United States

#17 Jun 20, 2008
Rev. Gray,
I could not have said it better. Maj. Gen Jeffery Hammond truly cares about his Soldiers and the Iraqi people. Only an ignorant person would offend those we have, first and foremost, a mission to protect. Our mission, which we have shed our blood, sweat and tears, is to protect the people. Ultimately, each day we serve, we are giving the Iraqi people time; time for the Iraqi Security Forces to improve, time for the government to take care of their people, and time to find and rid Iraq of terrorists and criminals. We are your Soldiers. We represent America each day we are here. How will others remember us? What will be our legacy? Hopefully, they will remember our selfless service and sacrifice.
Very Respectfully,
LTC Steve Stover
Multi-National Division-Baghdad and 4th Infantry Division
Side note. Everyone keeps spelling my boss' name wrong. AP-style it is Maj. Gen. Jeffery Hammond.

“Judge Much?”

Vallejo

#18 Jun 23, 2008
Thank you, LTC Stoner, for your comments and for serving our country, I do not agree with the war, but 'tis done and I back your efforts 100%. Please stay safe and come home sane and whole. Those that serve our country, in times of war, or times of peace are our Nations greatest heros, no matter what war they serve/served in. Your efforts and sacrifice will not forgotten, ever. Please have faith in the American people, you are not forgotten, many fight here for your brothers in arms rights when they come home, many pray for you each day, have faith in us, as we have in you.
With utmost respect,
a civilian

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shooting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tennessee Shooter Was 'Upset' by Gaza War, Frie... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Zeppelin 1
News Canada helping Brits buy 'Bosnian' and 'Somali'... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Somali 1
News Mugshot practice: Police used black male photos... (Jan '15) Jan '15 cops are psychos 5
News Police shoot dog in St. Clair Shores after comp... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Law and disorder 1
News Florida sergeant fired for having Trayvon Marti... (Apr '13) Apr '13 anksyeyway 28
News Trayvon Martin shooting targets were 'No-Shoot'... (Apr '13) Apr '13 politically incor... 1
Local shooting (Mar '13) Mar '13 lexxy 1
More from around the web