Illegal target shooting creates hazzards

Illegal target shooting creates hazzards

There are 5 comments on the Oroville Mercury-Register story from Apr 3, 2008, titled Illegal target shooting creates hazzards. In it, Oroville Mercury-Register reports that:

So many people have used remote spots in upper Butte Creek Canyon for target practice over the years that large trees have been killed, or literally cut in half, and no longer stop bullets.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Oroville Mercury-Register.

“An Erudite Hillbilly”

Since: Mar 08

Lake Oroville, CA

#1 Apr 3, 2008
Ok, I admit, at first I thought this was going to be another "sensible city folks move to country and take issue with the way things have always been." But nope, this story is about freaking IDIOTS! "Evidence of alcohol consumption" and shooting at items with no backstop? These definitely are not the standard hill-dwelling folks that grew up with guns we're talking about as they've never had an education with firearms. These must be flatlanders bringing their new toys to the hills. The same new breed I'd been starting to see in the hills the past several years that has led to me giving up hunting the hills I grew up in for fear of my own (and my son's) safety. I hope they get caught being idiots, and busted hard for it.
long time resident

Plymouth, MN

#2 Apr 3, 2008
I completely agree people need to be more responsible. Responsible for shooting safely, responsible for cleaning up their targets, and responsible for being courteous about noise. And those who are irresponsible should be warned/cited.
However, this sounds very much like an exaggeration of the issue. The author and possibly Deputy Patterson are clearly anti-gun and use very inflammatory terminology to gain support for their agenda to make it illegal for people to target shoot on any but restricted/designated areas. This reads more like an attack on the second amendment and our freedom.

More and more of our freedoms are being taken away (especially for sportsmen) and the "Zero Tolerance" scares me as it is totally left up to the interpretation of the police and not an established law. Why don't we do something positive for once. Instead of taking away the freedoms of those people just trying to enjoy the sport and the outdoors, why don't you present a positive solution. Push up some dirt for a back stop, place a trash can in the area and educate the users to be responsible and set some reasonable times. When people use their automobiles irresponsibly (speed, talk on cell phones, put on makeup, run red lights) all potentially life threatening behaviors, are they arrested, have their car confiscated or destroyed? Then why are they allowed to destroy the heirloom that was handed down from your great-grandfather? Ask yourself why?
FORMER FLATLANDER

AOL

#3 Apr 3, 2008
hey i moved here like 5 years ago am i still a flatlander? i was born here an draised here until i was 18, then went to city to make $$. now im back and im sorry if my truck is nicer than yours. but i dont shoot until i see the whites of their eyes.

ted nugent hate me
random witty name

Colusa, CA

#4 Apr 4, 2008
I'm familiar with that area, i've even been to a couple of the places in question, they are some the dumbest places to shoot in the entire county.
Stupid people doing stupid things. nothing new, but the stupid are starting to outnumber those with even the slightest bit of critical thinking abilities.
there are tons of places to shoot, that are both safe, legal (and no, limiting where one can fire a weapon is not a 2nd amendment issue), and responsible places to shoot.
The Claypit range in Oroville,
Indoor range at Safer Arms (shameless plug)
Private ranges dotted all over the county.
Inside the D.A.'s house*
*only if you are related to said D.A.
Vern

AOL

#5 Apr 4, 2008
random witty name wrote:
I'm familiar with that area, i've even been to a couple of the places in question, they are some the dumbest places to shoot in the entire county.
Stupid people doing stupid things. nothing new, but the stupid are starting to outnumber those with even the slightest bit of critical thinking abilities.
there are tons of places to shoot, that are both safe, legal (and no, limiting where one can fire a weapon is not a 2nd amendment issue), and responsible places to shoot.
The Claypit range in Oroville,
Indoor range at Safer Arms (shameless plug)
Private ranges dotted all over the county.
Inside the D.A.'s house*
*only if you are related to said D.A.

The same problem is here at Mud Creek on the levy. Morons with guns, sometimes semi automatic. All of the neighbors can hear them during the day and sometimes at night even when it's not hunting season. The police and sheriffs dept. are useless and nothing will be done until someone gets hurt.
Idiots ... they walk among us!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shooting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tennessee Shooter Was 'Upset' by Gaza War, Frie... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Zeppelin 1
News Canada helping Brits buy 'Bosnian' and 'Somali'... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Somali 1
News Mugshot practice: Police used black male photos... (Jan '15) Jan '15 cops are psychos 5
News Police shoot dog in St. Clair Shores after comp... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Law and disorder 1
News Florida sergeant fired for having Trayvon Marti... (Apr '13) Apr '13 anksyeyway 28
News Trayvon Martin shooting targets were 'No-Shoot'... (Apr '13) Apr '13 politically incor... 1
Local shooting (Mar '13) Mar '13 lexxy 1
More from around the web