Dowdy testifies in Christmas Eve murder trial

Despite a foggy recollection of the fatal Christmas Eve shooting that ended the life of 42-year-old David Steed, Thomas Dowdy Jr. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Know It All

AOL

#1 Jul 18, 2008
He's guilty in the first degree. He premeditated, he practiced shooting. All he needed was an excuse to kill. I wonder how many other victims of his thievery were after him. See 'ya in 25 years or so.
informed

Hayward, CA

#2 Jul 18, 2008
So many differant versions from Dowdy of what happened does he think the jury doesn't keep track of his testimony? He didn't mean to kill him but shot him twice and a total of four shots. Murder as I see it.
Anonymous

Arcata, CA

#3 Jul 18, 2008
guilty as sin.
Anonymous

Eureka, CA

#4 Jul 18, 2008
Ijust hope and pray the jurors see what you see.Wednesday he said he did not mean to kill him and thursday he said he did. His grandfather is a registered sex offender, Hugh Wallace Dowdy on Megan's law, his father is a worthless drunk working for a local rancher a couple hours a day for $40 cash under the table daily, now Jr. is a murderer, let us pray that his unborn child does not follow the family tradition.
Candy Jacomella

Ukiah, CA

#5 Jul 18, 2008
It seems Mr. Dowdy's memory fog is somewhat selective. He has no problem remembering things that are beneficial to him, but anything that might be incriminating is foggy. Give me a break.
TRUTH

Arcata, CA

#6 Jul 18, 2008
informed wrote:
So many differant versions from Dowdy of what happened does he think the jury doesn't keep track of his testimony? He didn't mean to kill him but shot him twice and a total of four shots. Murder as I see it.
He was hit by a truck, you all seem to forget. And at leist he isn't a liar like Ken Huse, come on, what kind of person says "I don't recall" when asked if he's ever done Meth! You can't help being related to pieces of shit here and there, as for Tom's dad, not a drunk, which makes me know that you are just grasping at straws, and really know nothing at all. So keep spewing forth your lies, there very intertaining.
Anonymous

Eureka, CA

#7 Jul 18, 2008
I've never heard so many ways to say I don't remember in my life!!!!!!!! "I don't recall, I can't say for sure, I don't remember, It all happened so fast, My memory isn't good, I have a booboo on my head, etc., etc., etc., etc. He clearly and "Positively" remembered EVERYTHING Steed supposedly said and did, NOTHING of what he supposedly did BUT evertyhing Womack (his girlfriend) said HE did he was positive was incorrect and had a clear enough memory to offer a contridicting story. WOW!!! The jury was taking feverish notes.
Oliver Holmes

Schaumburg, IL

#8 Jul 18, 2008
At least the truth has been heard.

A man, hard on his luck, steals wood to keep his young family warm, must defend himself from a crazed drug fiend who has threatened his life. That drug addict and his family of conspirators have physically attacked him more than once, and damaged his personal property. On all days, but the eve of the celebration of the birth of Christ, this maniac has the audacity (more likely the complete loss of judgment) to attack and threaten the lives of this gentle man and his family. Imagine the trauma that innocent two-year old child has endured. Imagine the solemn rejoice and celebration being violently interrupted by a crazed drug fiend. That family has been scarred by that demon.

It is sad to read how utterly un-American his neighbors have become. And you, his community, who consider him Ďscumí and associates his character with that of his father and his attacker, would rather side with that crazed, drug infested, miscreant because this man acted. He did not wait for next barrage of deadly violence from his attacker, but defended himself and his family.

Shame on you.
informed

Hayward, CA

#9 Jul 18, 2008
Mr. Holmes,

As an insider you are way off Dowdy and his girlfriend Womack have changed their story four times for her and three for him. The mace incident,slashing tire, four wheeler theft David Steed had nothing to do with my guess somebody else Dowdy screwed over. Making threats probably, so does that make it OK to shoot someone, in the back no less I don't think so.
annoyed

United States

#10 Jul 18, 2008
Oliver Holmes wrote:
At least the truth has been heard.
A man, hard on his luck, steals wood to keep his young family warm, must defend himself from a crazed drug fiend who has threatened his life. That drug addict and his family of conspirators have physically attacked him more than once, and damaged his personal property. On all days, but the eve of the celebration of the birth of Christ, this maniac has the audacity (more likely the complete loss of judgment) to attack and threaten the lives of this gentle man and his family. Imagine the trauma that innocent two-year old child has endured. Imagine the solemn rejoice and celebration being violently interrupted by a crazed drug fiend. That family has been scarred by that demon.
It is sad to read how utterly un-American his neighbors have become. And you, his community, who consider him Ďscumí and associates his character with that of his father and his attacker, would rather side with that crazed, drug infested, miscreant because this man acted. He did not wait for next barrage of deadly violence from his attacker, but defended himself and his family.
Shame on you.
You are off your Rocker!! You also must be a relative of Dowdy... Nobody in their right mind is going to defend this guy after reading all of the evidence. First off he is a theif and second he and his girlfriend can't seem to remember one story of theirs from the next. If you are telling the truth your story is going to stay the same time and time again. Just because you are down on your luck does not give you the right to go out and steal from others. Was Dowdy checked for drugs the night of Dec 24th? NO GOOD PERSON would go out and steal from another. And when you have a selective memory like Dowdy that says one thing "guilty".. OH ya, shooting someone in the back really sounds like your life is being threatend doesn't it. How I wish I was on this jury!!!!! You would be gone for a LONG<LONG time mr Dowdy..
Oliver Holmes

Schaumburg, IL

#11 Jul 18, 2008
Sir

Allow me to be as presumptuous as you. I am sure that you lock your doors and roll up the windows of your sparkling new Subaru while driving through this manís neighborhood. All the while sniffling and looking down at him for the hardships he must endure. You patronizingly bolster your ego by telling yourself that some government program you so proudly endorse will eventually save this soul.

I can assume that your last act of aggression you experienced was not picking up your grass clippings from your neighborís primly manicured suburban yard and he not allowing his kids to trick-or-treat your house.

None the while, this family man, fighting to keep his family warm and fed, must do what is necessary to survive. His community has abandoned him a long time ago. Drug abuse is out of control. Violence is rampant and goes unfettered. And there he is, just trying to survive.

I ask you. If some drug soaked maniac had a blood vendetta against you, would you sit and wait for the crazed aggressor? He has attacked before and promised to attack again. Would you just sit in wait...until he attacks again and again? Of course not.

As the saying goes, the man brought knife to a gun fight. But more precisely, left his gun in his sonís truck.
curious

Arcata, CA

#12 Jul 18, 2008
Oliver Holmes wrote:
Sir
Allow me to be as presumptuous as you. I am sure that you lock your doors and roll up the windows of your sparkling new Subaru while driving through this manís neighborhood. All the while sniffling and looking down at him for the hardships he must endure. You patronizingly bolster your ego by telling yourself that some government program you so proudly endorse will eventually save this soul.
I can assume that your last act of aggression you experienced was not picking up your grass clippings from your neighborís primly manicured suburban yard and he not allowing his kids to trick-or-treat your house.
None the while, this family man, fighting to keep his family warm and fed, must do what is necessary to survive. His community has abandoned him a long time ago. Drug abuse is out of control. Violence is rampant and goes unfettered. And there he is, just trying to survive.
I ask you. If some drug soaked maniac had a blood vendetta against you, would you sit and wait for the crazed aggressor? He has attacked before and promised to attack again. Would you just sit in wait...until he attacks again and again? Of course not.
As the saying goes, the man brought knife to a gun fight. But more precisely, left his gun in his sonís truck.
You have lost your mind. You keep repeating the fact that he was trying to keep his family warm and fed, how do you do that by stealing wood? Now it comes to light that Tom was high on pot and pain killers and you still defend him. You gotta be a Dowdy!
informed

Hayward, CA

#13 Jul 18, 2008
There was no weapon in the truck knuckle head # 11 you have no idea what you are talking about. Stealing, murder a family man NOT!!!!! People like you are ridiculous. Dowdy has changed his story on the stand in front of the jury and so did his girlfriend Womack completely differant than the statement he gave the police. MURDER!!! bottom line.
curious

Arcata, CA

#14 Jul 18, 2008
TRUTH wrote:
<quoted text> He was hit by a truck, you all seem to forget. And at leist he isn't a liar like Ken Huse, come on, what kind of person says "I don't recall" when asked if he's ever done Meth! You can't help being related to pieces of shit here and there, as for Tom's dad, not a drunk, which makes me know that you are just grasping at straws, and really know nothing at all. So keep spewing forth your lies, there very intertaining.
Tom's dad may not be a drunk but he is a thief, and a meth head currently on probation for getting caught doing it. He was fired from a local rancher due to stealing hay and then selling it. If that wasn't bad enuf, he threatened to kill the woman who turned him in. Like father like son, the father just hasn't murdered anyone.
Roy Bean

Katy, TX

#15 Jul 18, 2008
Olivier

I applaud you. Reading this paper and comments, it is plain to see that this part of the country is inhabited by wimps.

Hell, Curious, the man is at his home enjoying Xmas Eve. Personally, I would be lit up on Scotch.

Ask Joe Horn about whether your home is your castle!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Horn_shootin...

By the by, Momma told me that in some places in this world where it gets cold, they burn WOOD to keep warm. Imagine that.
annoyed

United States

#16 Jul 18, 2008
Oliver Holmes wrote:
Sir
So are you telling me that we all should go out and steal from one another because "these are hard times"? No I don't drive a shiny new subaru I drive a shiny new suburban thank you and that does not mean I drive around looking down upon people, I am a honest hard working person in this community and yes I do look down on trash whom are out stealing from others. Liars and theives are the worst types there are. Liars and theives also fall into the druggie meth head catagory as well. Your wanting to defend this type tells me you are one of "them"
Roy Bean

Katy, TX

#17 Jul 18, 2008
I hope Oliver Wendell doesn't mind me jumping in, but I can't resist.

If you ain't towin' a big boat behind that Suburban, you must have smoked some of that stuff yourself. Gas up there is expensive!

It seems that you folks have a pretty bad drug problem up. Hell, I would have my handgun at my side and load up on #4 buck for those unwanted guests.
Shannon

Eureka, CA

#18 Jul 18, 2008
Oliver Holmes and Roy Bean are you guys for real?
He didn't need the wood he stole it for his roommates mother and he couldn't of been that down on his luck he had a house to live in, He had a truck and enough gas to go steal a load of wood from someone that went out and work to get and was going to use the money for his family.I just wish i was a juror.
Herbie Hind

United States

#19 Jul 18, 2008
Why didn't he go out into the forest and collect his own firewood? He had time to go out and target shoot. There's enough downed trees and limbs outside of Fortuna to keep you extremely busy. I'm guessing he was too busy doing his drugs. He was protecting his shame. Guilty as charged.
Know It All

AOL

#20 Jul 19, 2008
Hang down your head, Tom Dowdy. Hang down your head and cry ...

Truth and Oliver Holmes: go suck an egg. You can't defend the indefensible. MURDER it is and MURDER it'll be found to be. Wanna bet?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shooting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police shoot dog in St. Clair Shores after comp... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Law and disorder 1
Florida sergeant fired for having Trayvon Marti... (Apr '13) Apr '13 anksyeyway 28
Trayvon Martin shooting targets were 'No-Shoot'... (Apr '13) Apr '13 politically incor... 1
Local shooting (Mar '13) Mar '13 lexxy 1
Kahr CW40 (Feb '13) Feb '13 Anonymous 1
Deer rifle (May '06) Dec '12 Missy 87
Remington 700 police for sale(legally) and othe... (Aug '11) Aug '12 dave 6

Shooting People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE