Fighting back: To avoid falling victi...

Fighting back: To avoid falling victim of a vicious drug war, some resort to taking up arms (4:30...

There are 34 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Mar 7, 2011, titled Fighting back: To avoid falling victim of a vicious drug war, some resort to taking up arms (4:30.... In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

On the ranch lands near the U.S. border, people no longer take security for granted and have turned to weapons to stave off drug thugs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rick O Shea

Farmington, NM

#1 Mar 7, 2011
Just shows the idiocy of Mexico's gun laws. Law abiding citizens have to risk prison terms or risk being slaughterd like sheep. The drug war continues to escalate and Obama just opened US highways to Mexican truckers putting all Americans in danger. Sucks when you have to arm yourself against the actions of your own president, just like the citizens of Mexico have been forced to do.
defender

Las Cruces, NM

#2 Mar 7, 2011
Rick O Shea wrote:
Just shows the idiocy of Mexico's gun laws. Law abiding citizens have to risk prison terms or risk being slaughterd like sheep. The drug war continues to escalate and Obama just opened US highways to Mexican truckers putting all Americans in danger. Sucks when you have to arm yourself against the actions of your own president, just like the citizens of Mexico have been forced to do.
That last story in the article was useless. Adriana Gómez Licón seems to be lacking on brains and logic. Why would you go through so much to write a good informative story only to shoot it down saying, "Oh, by the way, if you take up arms and defend your family, you will all die anyways." I guess that is the anti-gun world we live in. These two countries are pathetic! It is time that Mexico revolts and that the U.S. of A. get some real leadership in office!
Rick O Shea

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Mar 7, 2011
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
That last story in the article was useless. Adriana Gómez Licón seems to be lacking on brains and logic. Why would you go through so much to write a good informative story only to shoot it down saying, "Oh, by the way, if you take up arms and defend your family, you will all die anyways." I guess that is the anti-gun world we live in. These two countries are pathetic! It is time that Mexico revolts and that the U.S. of A. get some real leadership in office!
I agree....Interesting how the anti gun, liberal voice is pathetically silent on this issue. Come on Dems....no opinion on your president inviting Mexican trucking on US highways and the relentless cartel slaughter of innocent citizens? I guess as long as everyone get their drivers license then your all OK with it right?
watchdog 1

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Mar 7, 2011
Someone should send a copy of this article to HandGun Control Inc,or whatever they are calling themselves this week.
Let them read about how their "gun free" perfect world will be like if they get their way.
Probably would'nt do any good though. They have perfect 20/20 tunnel vision.
Rick O Shea

Las Cruces, NM

#5 Mar 7, 2011
watchdog 1 wrote:
Someone should send a copy of this article to HandGun Control Inc,or whatever they are calling themselves this week.
Let them read about how their "gun free" perfect world will be like if they get their way.
Probably would'nt do any good though. They have perfect 20/20 tunnel vision.
Truth is they just don't care. They never did and never will. The liberals would rather protect their idealogical idiocy while innocents are massacred, than admit that their stance on gun control has the potential to invite mass murder on a national scale. I would really like to hear any attempt to defend Obama's "deal" with Calderon to let Mexican truckers on US highways, especially while the Mexican drug war continues to escalate and spill over into the US across the border regions of our country.
Ex El Paso res

Las Cruces, NM

#6 Mar 7, 2011
Three simple facts here folks:

Gun control does not work: Military and police have 1 M guns and residence have 15.5M in a country WITH gun control.

Armed person - citizen able to defend themsleves
Unarmed person - subject of the state or in Mexico victim with a toe tag and another statistic.

Criminals are less likely to commit a crime when they do not know who is or is not armed. Their possiblity of a limitted career (being killed) go up significantly when people can defend themselves.
Real problems

Las Cruces, NM

#7 Mar 7, 2011
Rick O Shea wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth is they just don't care. They never did and never will. The liberals would rather protect their idealogical idiocy while innocents are massacred, than admit that their stance on gun control has the potential to invite mass murder on a national scale. I would really like to hear any attempt to defend Obama's "deal" with Calderon to let Mexican truckers on US highways, especially while the Mexican drug war continues to escalate and spill over into the US across the border regions of our country.
What does trucking have to do with this article?

But since you brought it up, the program was started by Bush. Typical right wing response is to wail about something a Democrat does that was started by a Republican.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-parker/ob...
Real problems

Las Cruces, NM

#8 Mar 7, 2011
Where in this article is an example of it working out well for an armed Mexican citizen?
listenupPendyjs

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Mar 7, 2011
There's 35,000 unarmed Mexicans for whom it certainly didn't work out well. People need guns to protect themselves from the stupidity of the other animals on this planet. The colt revolver was what settled the west, not the idiotic politicians who are little more than dollar w hor es. If there is a hell, it is lit with their fat.
Rick O Shea

Las Cruces, NM

#10 Mar 7, 2011
Real problems wrote:
<quoted text>
What does trucking have to do with this article?
But since you brought it up, the program was started by Bush. Typical right wing response is to wail about something a Democrat does that was started by a Republican.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-parker/ob...
The circustances in Mexico have changed dramatically since Bush was president. And I would have been just as passionately against it if the program was implemented during his administration. The article emphasizes the murderous control the cartels have over the day to day lives of the citizens of Mexico. Do you really believe that Mexican truckers can transport and distribute shipments into the US free from the violent influence of the drug lords? Do you really believe that the cartels won't establish contacts in the US that are tied to the shipments of Mexican commerce here in the US? Do you really believe that the cartels won't attempt to implement the same brutal, indiscriminate enforcement tactics here as they do currently in Mexico and in the US along the border regions?
Rick O Shea

Las Cruces, NM

#11 Mar 7, 2011
Real problems wrote:
Where in this article is an example of it working out well for an armed Mexican citizen?
One question for you. If you and you're family were being attacked by people trying to kill you. Would you have the right to defend yourself and your family?
Real problems

Las Cruces, NM

#12 Mar 7, 2011
Rick O Shea wrote:
<quoted text>
The circustances in Mexico have changed dramatically since Bush was president. And I would have been just as passionately against it if the program was implemented during his administration. The article emphasizes the murderous control the cartels have over the day to day lives of the citizens of Mexico. Do you really believe that Mexican truckers can transport and distribute shipments into the US free from the violent influence of the drug lords? Do you really believe that the cartels won't establish contacts in the US that are tied to the shipments of Mexican commerce here in the US? Do you really believe that the cartels won't attempt to implement the same brutal, indiscriminate enforcement tactics here as they do currently in Mexico and in the US along the border regions?
If the cartels do attempt it, I guess you and your 2nd amendment buddies will take care of them so there's no need to freak out. Do you think those inspecting trucks entering the US are incompetent?
Real problems

Las Cruces, NM

#13 Mar 7, 2011
Rick O Shea wrote:
<quoted text>
One question for you. If you and you're family were being attacked by people trying to kill you. Would you have the right to defend yourself and your family?
Why don't you just answer my question?
Al Reine

United States

#14 Mar 7, 2011
Mexico = Nothing more then a Country that is full of CORRUPTION, and Crime. America; Quickly becoming just like Mexico; Remember to thank President Obama, HLS, Czar Napoliano, Eric Holder, and the Crooks from Cook county Ill. Look at the Obama Cabinet. Now read and see the lies in Obama Care. Corruption from the very top ! Murder and Crime from Illegals has risen, look at increased numbers of deaths & murder in Juarez, and Las Cruces.
Rick O Shea

Las Cruces, NM

#15 Mar 7, 2011
Real problems wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you just answer my question?
There wasn't an example represented in the article. Now extend me the same courtesy and answer mine.
Rick O Shea

Las Cruces, NM

#16 Mar 7, 2011
Real problems wrote:
<quoted text>
If the cartels do attempt it, I guess you and your 2nd amendment buddies will take care of them so there's no need to freak out. Do you think those inspecting trucks entering the US are incompetent?
One things for sure..you won't
Rick O Shea

Las Cruces, NM

#17 Mar 7, 2011
Real problems wrote:
<quoted text>
No not incompetent. They are dedicated, hard working people doing the very best they can with what is already extremely limited resources and personell, anyone of whom will tell you that despite all their efforts they are only able to intercept a fraction of what is already comming in.
defender

Las Cruces, NM

#18 Mar 7, 2011
Real problems wrote:
That is LIBERAL media for you...they won't publish when it worked, only when it didn't.

Why does it seem that you are under the opinion that we don't (as don't the Mexicans) have the right to defend ourselves? Remember, when moments matter the police are only minutes away. If there were a cop for every citizen you would cry that there are too many police. But when they aren't there to defend you (most of the time they can not be) you cry and complain that they don't do their jobs. Why don't you just go buy a firearm and protect yourself? It makes life much more simple for everyone.
Real problems

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Mar 7, 2011
Rick O Shea wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I would have that right. Whether owning a gun is the best way is debatable.
Real problems

Albuquerque, NM

#20 Mar 7, 2011
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
That is LIBERAL media for you...they won't publish when it worked, only when it didn't.
Why does it seem that you are under the opinion that we don't (as don't the Mexicans) have the right to defend ourselves? Remember, when moments matter the police are only minutes away. If there were a cop for every citizen you would cry that there are too many police. But when they aren't there to defend you (most of the time they can not be) you cry and complain that they don't do their jobs. Why don't you just go buy a firearm and protect yourself? It makes life much more simple for everyone.
Ok find some examples of mexican citizens with guns successfully defending themselves against drug cartels from whatever conservative media outlet you choose.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shooting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tennessee Shooter Was 'Upset' by Gaza War, Frie... Jul '15 Zeppelin 1
News Canada helping Brits buy 'Bosnian' and 'Somali'... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Somali 1
News Mugshot practice: Police used black male photos... (Jan '15) Jan '15 cops are psychos 5
News Police shoot dog in St. Clair Shores after comp... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Law and disorder 1
News Florida sergeant fired for having Trayvon Marti... (Apr '13) Apr '13 anksyeyway 28
News Trayvon Martin shooting targets were 'No-Shoot'... (Apr '13) Apr '13 politically incor... 1
Local shooting (Mar '13) Mar '13 lexxy 1
More from around the web