Man: Death threats over abandoned dog

Man: Death threats over abandoned dog

There are 42 comments on the WLFI-TV West Lafayette story from Sep 17, 2012, titled Man: Death threats over abandoned dog. In it, WLFI-TV West Lafayette reports that:

A man who left his dog to die on Mount Bierstadt says he has been getting death threats, even though he has paid vet bills and agreed to turn over the dog to one of the rescuers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLFI-TV West Lafayette.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Karma Chameleon

Medford, NY

#2 Sep 18, 2012
As he should.......let him suffer like he was going to let his dog suffer.

Payback is a bitch (no pun intended....although it is fitting)

“frequently laughing”

Since: Apr 09

Hotel California

#3 Sep 18, 2012
Stupidity should be painful, unfortunately it was the dog suffered.

“Headbanger”

Since: May 12

London, England

#4 Sep 18, 2012
i'm finding it hard to have any sympathy for him.

“....VETS”

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#5 Sep 18, 2012
didn't remember a second person so why weren't they also charged

Virginia Patriot

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#6 Sep 18, 2012
They were unable to rescue the injured dog without risking their own safety and life, even though they tried. There is a difference between an animal and a human, and everyone who threatens the man's life for making such a difficult decision should be prosecuted in accordance of the law.

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#7 Sep 18, 2012
Virginia Patriot wrote:
They were unable to rescue the injured dog without risking their own safety and life, even though they tried. There is a difference between an animal and a human, and everyone who threatens the man's life for making such a difficult decision should be prosecuted in accordance of the law.
thought: makes you wonder how a rescuer back packed the dog out later.... same mountain wasn't it

Virginia Patriot

Location hidden

#8 Sep 19, 2012
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
thought: makes you wonder how a rescuer back packed the dog out later.... same mountain wasn't it
Not at all. The rescuer had the skill and ability to do what the others could not.

We are vets. We know how to react and respond in combat situations. Would you expect a civilian to be able to do what you could? Would you even expect them to try? Same thing.

It's easy for one to be a hero when they read of a situation. Not so easy when being part of the situation.

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#9 Sep 19, 2012
Virginia Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all. The rescuer had the skill and ability to do what the others could not.
We are vets. We know how to react and respond in combat situations. Would you expect a civilian to be able to do what you could? Would you even expect them to try? Same thing.
It's easy for one to be a hero when they read of a situation. Not so easy when being part of the situation.
two people:

The dog spent eight days on the mountain on her own.

The dog's rescue became an international news story after a group of good Samaritans banded together to rescue Missy in a day-long operation.

Ortolani said he was forced to leave his dog on the mountain after Missy's paws became cut and she couldn't walk. A storm then rolled in, Ortolani said.

Ortolani said he and a 19-year-old friend tried to carry the 112-pound dog for more than two hours over treacherous, rocky terrain but they worried for their own safety

now how do we carry one of our own whom weighs far more than 112lbs... two people , one only 19 years can't ok

Virginia Patriot

Location hidden

#10 Sep 19, 2012
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
two people:
The dog spent eight days on the mountain on her own.
The dog's rescue became an international news story after a group of good Samaritans banded together to rescue Missy in a day-long operation.
Ortolani said he was forced to leave his dog on the mountain after Missy's paws became cut and she couldn't walk. A storm then rolled in, Ortolani said.
Ortolani said he and a 19-year-old friend tried to carry the 112-pound dog for more than two hours over treacherous, rocky terrain but they worried for their own safety
now how do we carry one of our own whom weighs far more than 112lbs... two people , one only 19 years can't ok
It must be remembered that this was a dog, not a person. A much greater effort (in spite of the risks) would be taken to save the life of a human.

Television and popular movies often uses anthropomorphic animals for our entertainment, and through constant exposure to such fictitious characters, it has become the norm to identify them more as fellow humans than as animals.(This also leads to the questioning of the intelligence of some people who was apparently influenced by such forms of entertainment, examples include a young adult who climbed into a lion's den to "talk" with the lion, a woman who thought it would be sweet to pet a panda, or the boy who wanted to feed a bison...).

Now I do have a respect for and a strong concern about the welfare of animals, and I oppose pet abuse and support stiff penalties for those who wilfully neglect or abuse them. However, I do not consider the life of an animal to be as valuable as a human life. I do applaud the rescuers for their actions, and I think that it was proper and fitting to volunteer and allow the custody of the dog to be offered to the rescuers. But to threaten the man's life for the decision that he made for the safety for himself and of the young adult accompanying him is not acceptable and the violators should be investigated and charged in accordance to the law.

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#11 Sep 19, 2012
sorry but in NAM Thor gave his life for me and my partner ,, so a dog isn't just a dog , do you want this person to have this dog back ???

btw my partner was killed on the spot and I took four shraps

Virginia Patriot

Location hidden

#12 Sep 19, 2012
tallyho wrote:
sorry but in NAM Thor gave his life for me and my partner ,, so a dog isn't just a dog , do you want this person to have this dog back ???
btw my partner was killed on the spot and I took four shraps
WIA myself, though quite a bit later than you.

Do I think this guy should have his dog back? No. He abandoned her and therefore I believe that he forfeited all claims of ownership to her.

Do I hold him responsible for taking the dog with him without having an emergency evacuation plan? Yes. It was poor judgment on his part, and it could have proven much more serious if the 19 year old was injured instead of the dog.

Do I believe that he should be charged with neglect? No. Even though he was ill prepared for such a situation, he did make a good faith effort to evacuate the dog, and he made a decision based on his own safety and that of his companion.

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#14 Sep 20, 2012
children weigh 112 lbs and their feet bleed and their bodes give out... perhaps you may not see it in a certain way , but I was taught to lend a helping hand

“Taste great in milk!”

Since: Aug 08

#15 Sep 20, 2012
Kriss10 wrote:
i'm finding it hard to have any sympathy for him.
Ditto.

Virginia Patriot

Location hidden

#16 Sep 20, 2012
tallyho wrote:
children weigh 112 lbs and their feet bleed and their bodes give out... perhaps you may not see it in a certain way , but I was taught to lend a helping hand
Most men wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice their own life in the attempt to save a child. However, this was a dog, not a child. And the man was not trained in animal rescue.

You can not reasonably expect everyone to be heroes. The man made a decision to abandon the dog in favor for the safety of his companion and himself. Because he was unsuccessful in removing the dog from the mountain, he reported the incident, which was relayed to rescuers, where trained personnel retrieved the canine. He paid for all of the dog's medical expenses, and he even offered to transfer ownership to one of the rescuers. This is much more than what the majority of people would do if they enlist the aid of the Police, Fire fighters or Paramedics for whatever reason.

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#17 Sep 20, 2012
why are we going back and forth on this you won't you won't ,,

me , well me and the dog would have been down

off that mountain

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#18 Sep 20, 2012
Virginia Patriot wrote:
Maybe THEY couldn't rescue the dog, but someone else could have- and did! Eight days go by before they something to someone? Come on! They should be hung. And this isn't about what's more important, humans or dogs. It's about a dog left to die a slow painful, lonely death.

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#19 Sep 20, 2012
what it is you brought the dog there so the dog should come back with ya ....

Virginia Patriot

Location hidden

#20 Sep 20, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe THEY couldn't rescue the dog, but someone else could have- and did! Eight days go by before they something to someone? Come on! They should be hung. And this isn't about what's more important, humans or dogs. It's about a dog left to die a slow painful, lonely death.
Why do you value the life of an animal over the life of a human? Would you have prefered a mercy killing of the dog?

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#21 Sep 21, 2012
Virginia Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you value the life of an animal over the life of a human? Would you have prefered a mercy killing of the dog?
You don't know what I value more, so please don't make assumptions. Like I said, this isn't about which life is more valuable, a dog, or a human. It's about the life of a DOG, period.

Why is it when ever an animal story comes on the news, somebody out here has to bring up how much more important humans are, rather than just discussing whether the event was justified or not?

I'll tell you this; if it was my dog and me up there, I would either stay and die with him, or IMMEDIATELY upon my return plead with someone, ANYONE, to go get him- and they would be nicely compensated for their time and risk.

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#22 Sep 21, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know what I value more, so please don't make assumptions. Like I said, this isn't about which life is more valuable, a dog, or a human. It's about the life of a DOG, period.
Why is it when ever an animal story comes on the news, somebody out here has to bring up how much more important humans are, rather than just discussing whether the event was justified or not?
I'll tell you this; if it was my dog and me up there, I would either stay and die with him, or IMMEDIATELY upon my return plead with someone, ANYONE, to go get him- and they would be nicely compensated for their time and risk.
what compounds this story is , he abandoned the dog... but 8 days later when the dog was rescued he wanted the dog back

have a good day

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mountain Climbing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
northface biggest competitor (Sep '07) Jan 16 Joe Joe 16
Who is the Greatest Climber Ever? (Aug '07) Dec '15 braglo 58
Where would you go if you could go any place in... Nov '15 Anonymous 1
News Huntington Museum of Art's Exhibition 280 retur... Oct '15 Huntington Hatten... 1
Rock Climbing for kids (Mar '15) Mar '15 Gerald Vonberger 1
News Happy Birthday, Edmund Hillary, First Man to Su... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Jelly Doughnuts 1
Toubkal guide (Jul '07) Oct '14 toubkal ascent 3
More from around the web