Why is Congress so afraid of gun control?

Apr 10, 2013 | Posted by: Mr_Bill | Full story: www.newyorker.com

What's the worst that could happen? That's what people sometimes ask friends who are considering taking a step that carries a risk but also stands to change their lives for the better.

It’s what people ought to be asking Congress, in particular those senators—Republicans and a few Democrats—who are holding up federal action on gun safety. Last week, it became apparent that the gun-control measures that President Obama and many others have championed since the killings in Newtown, Connecticut, were losing support in Congress. The Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid, had already acknowledged that a renewal of the assault-weapons ban was a no-go.

Comments
1 - 20 of 33 Comments Last updated May 6, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Voters?
Makes sense

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Yeah, right.

7:07am, Wed 10 Apr 2013

Boy, aged six, shot dead by four-year-old friend in US

Last updated Wed 10 Apr 2013

World
gun control
USA

A six-year-old boy in New Jersey has died after being shot by a friend, aged just four, as their parents stood nearby.

Toms River police chief Michael Mastronardy said: "The six-year-old ... retrieved a rifle within the house, a .22-caliber rifle, came outside...

“A shot went out and the six-year-old was struck in the head."

The incident followed another fatal shooting days ago, this time in Tennessee, that also involved a four-year-old boy.

God have mercy on Republicans.
Makes sense

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Four-year-olds are able to get guns and kill people in the US because of their 2nd Amendment right to form well regulated militias.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Makes sense wrote:
Four-year-olds are able to get guns and kill people in the US because of their 2nd Amendment right to form well regulated militias.
No, the Militia portions (there are three) of the US Constitution were disregarded, and thrown into the trash by the present Supreme Court. Militia has no meaning anymore; neither does well-organized.

At present, the Second amendment really means that Americans can buy any guns they want, excepting those military weapons the NRA allows the federal government to forbid them; and no membership and no commissioned officers, no organization under state governors' command is any longer necessary under the NEW "Roberts" 2nd Amendment.
SlipperySlope

Bryn Mawr, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Congress is not afraid of gun control. They in reality know the slippery slope that it can and probably will lead to. They know the voters know this as well. It's not just about preaching to their choir.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

RustyS wrote:
Voters?
NRA money.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Every 4 y/o has the constitutional right to have a gun.

Wayne Lapierre, NRA
abe

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Makes sense wrote:
Yeah, right.
7:07am, Wed 10 Apr 2013
Boy, aged six, shot dead by four-year-old friend in US
Last updated Wed 10 Apr 2013
World
gun control
USA
A six-year-old boy in New Jersey has died after being shot by a friend, aged just four, as their parents stood nearby.
Toms River police chief Michael Mastronardy said: "The six-year-old ... retrieved a rifle within the house, a .22-caliber rifle, came outside...
“A shot went out and the six-year-old was struck in the head."
The incident followed another fatal shooting days ago, this time in Tennessee, that also involved a four-year-old boy.
God have mercy on Republicans.
No reason for this. not the guns fault. it is the parents fault for not training the kid and talking to the kid about guns. I have had my own gun since I was 15, along with my drivers licensee. I have never shot anyone, never killed anyone with the car. I hunted before I was 15 using my fathers guns and we ate what we killed. Stop the stupid crap about it being the guns fault. in this case it is the parents fault. you do not need to hide the gun, lock it up. that is a lot of BS. Just teach them what a gun is and start training them early. Most of the gun grabbers do not know one end of the gun from the other end, just endless, useless whinning.,

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

abe wrote:
<quoted text>
No reason for this. not the guns fault. it is the parents fault for not training the kid and talking to the kid about guns. I have had my own gun since I was 15, along with my drivers licensee. I have never shot anyone, never killed anyone with the car. I hunted before I was 15 using my fathers guns and we ate what we killed. Stop the stupid crap about it being the guns fault. in this case it is the parents fault. you do not need to hide the gun, lock it up. that is a lot of BS. Just teach them what a gun is and start training them early. Most of the gun grabbers do not know one end of the gun from the other end, just endless, useless whinning.,
Nothing wrong with you hunting with your gun. We need more responsible gun owners like you. Not the problem.

Yes, the gun owning parents are GUITY, and should do hard time, and be sued in civil court.

But that won't bring these children back.
The gun is the open barn door. You and the NRA want more open barn doors, and the want to blame the cows for wandering. And just shrug your shoulders when the wolf takes a calf

And we need to try in court every person who trasmits a gun to a child, or crazy or criminal, or wife abuser.

And those who deal in death by buying up guns and selling them to kids and thugs and crazies in places like the south of Chicago should do long, hard labor in prison. No chance of parole.

Not your fult, but surely, some irresponsible gun owner's fault. Every time. Think on it.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

abe wrote:
<quoted text>
And these parents should be prosecuted for the kid's death. Maybe that would make then understand guns aren't toys.
Lee Majors

Kent, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Please sign this petition if you love the children

Http://wh.gov/MHMi
SlipperySlope

Bryn Mawr, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Lee Majors wrote:
Please sign this petition if you love the children
Http://wh.gov/MHMi
So by YOUR standards if we don't sign YOUR petition we don't love children????????

The Left Coast

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
NRA money.
Well that and the 5 million votes.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

RustyS wrote:
<quoted text>
Well that and the 5 million votes.
Only a moron thinks 5 million potential votes matter; it's the $50 million in NRA money that runs things in Washington.
Makes sense

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Rick Warren's son had a life-long history of mental illness and managed to get a gun and kill himself.

Suicide is the number one use of a gun after hunting, not self defense.

You got a gun? Are you a responsible gun owner? How do you keep your gun from being used improperly?

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

With a dad like Rick Warren, the kid is better off dead.

The Left Coast

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Only a moron thinks 5 million potential votes matter; it's the $50 million in NRA money that runs things in Washington.
You mean like the unions, the banks, the insurance companies? Unlike these, people voluntarily donate to the NRA. And I don't think calling Obama a moron is apppropriate.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

RustyS wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean like the unions, the banks, the insurance companies? Unlike these, people voluntarily donate to the NRA. And I don't think calling Obama a moron is apppropriate.
Really?

So I can join the NRA without paying the $35 annual membership fee?

Where's that on their website?

The Left Coast

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
So I can join the NRA without paying the $35 annual membership fee?
Where's that on their website?
Unlike union dues, you MAY join if you like, not mandatory. Besides, I doubt they'd let you in, being a progressive sheep & all. But hey, send them $35 and see what happens.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

RustyS wrote:
<quoted text>
Unlike union dues, you MAY join if you like, not mandatory. Besides, I doubt they'd let you in, being a progressive sheep & all. But hey, send them $35 and see what happens.
No one is forced to join a union either; it's your choice to work there or not.

Btw, I was an NRA member back when they were actually a pro-American organization. Now they're just another criminal organization which supports killers of children.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••