Wheelock, Vermont , Father Kills Teen...

Wheelock, Vermont , Father Kills Teen Son In Hunting Accident 1/May/2009

Posted in the Hunting Forum

Bobby Garrison

Canterbury, UK

#1 May 1, 2009
Father mistake his 17 years old for a turkey and shoots him fatally.
http://tabanpanahi.com/guncrime/2009/05/02/wh...
ErikW65

Waitsfield, VT

#2 May 2, 2009
While this is being described as a hunting "accident" it's actually a reckless, negligent act that involves a conscious decision to violate hunting rules, comon sense, and the law.

The father said he thought his son was in a different area. So he figured it was OK to violate the law and shoot at the object before positively identifying it. And since he didn't get a good enough of a look at the object to tell it was not his son, he obviously wasn't bothering to tell if it had a beard, and was thus a legal-to-kill male either.

Prosecute him to the full extent of the law.
Sophie

Holyoke, MA

#3 May 3, 2009
Are you kidding? You obviously dont no the family! Dont open your fat mouth until you get your facts straight! Jake and kevin are amazing people and kevin would never hurt jake. This family just lost there son, then dont need to lose the dad too!
ErikW65 wrote:
While this is being described as a hunting "accident" it's actually a reckless, negligent act that involves a conscious decision to violate hunting rules, comon sense, and the law.
The father said he thought his son was in a different area. So he figured it was OK to violate the law and shoot at the object before positively identifying it. And since he didn't get a good enough of a look at the object to tell it was not his son, he obviously wasn't bothering to tell if it had a beard, and was thus a legal-to-kill male either.
DeerSlayer

Albany, NY

#4 May 4, 2009
Sophie wrote:
Are you kidding? You obviously dont no the family! Dont open your fat mouth until you get your facts straight! Jake and kevin are amazing people and kevin would never hurt jake. This family just lost there son, then dont need to lose the dad too!
<quoted text>
Erik is correct, as an avid hunter and father of 4 I am vexed by this total disregard for safety. Every good hunter knows better than to shoot at something he "thinks" is game. You are responsible for your actions and your bullets' path from start to finish. Although this is a terrible accident and I feel very badly for the family this is an inexcusable violation. What would you say if it was YOUR boy he shot?? You would want to hang him yourself! This man has no place in the woods hunting and should never be allowed near firearms again. We the RESPONSIBLE hunters have a hard enough time with ARA and anti-hunting groups that we don't need people like this giving us black eyes.
ErikW65

Waitsfield, VT

#5 May 4, 2009
Thanks to DeerSlayer. I am pro-hunting when it's done responsibly. I walk in the woods and so I have a direct interest in this, but certainly no axe to grind against this particular hunter.

This case is no different than a person who drives drunk and crashes resulting in the death of his son. Either way, a selfish action was undertaken, with unintentional death resulting. I don't have any sympathy for those who cause their own tragic ends with bad decisions and safety violations that threaten the public.
Sam

Northbridge, MA

#6 May 7, 2009
ErikW65 wrote:
You are so wrong in writing this. He didn't do this on purpose. I hope one day that you one day understand and hopefully grow a heart. So as someone who knows and loves Jake, SHUT UP! I say that as respectfully as I can.
Sam

Northbridge, MA

#7 May 7, 2009
We all Love you Jake. Rest in Peace...:'(
I know you're in a better place looking down on all of us that love you! We all miss you so much already!
RLW

Bergen, Norway

#8 May 10, 2009
This man will be in agony for the rest of his life and I doubt he will ever hunt again. It is a tragic accident and his punishment will be served every single day of his life. I feel for Kevin!
Hope you are strong enough to overcome this Kevin!
toby tatro

AOL

#9 Aug 18, 2009
i appalled by this,ive been a die-hard turkey and deer hunter all my life. im d have shot pope and young bucks with bow and up to 24lb turkeys every year,and not once have i ever thought a hunter in the woods resembled either of them,i took my hunter safety when i was 10,and the thing that sticks in my head the most from that coarse is and i qoute "always be 100% sure of what you are shooting at"end qoute.and in turkey hunting the turkey must be a male with a beard,what did he have a black tie on hanging around his neck dangling of his chest,you people that feel sorry for him make me sick to my stomach,yes he has to live with this the rest of his life,but he has a life,unlike his son.and to blame his son because he wasnt where he was supposed to be makes me even more ill,so hes to blame now?this is not a mistake its a tragedy of a hunter who didnt care what he was shooting at,its a shoot now check later attitude,which im sure isnt the first time for him after this reckless example.its hunters like this that give us true responsible hunters a bad rap,and someone died out of it.he may walk away now but im sure theres a future tragedy for him when his time comes to pass,not everyone out there is willing to forgive true neglegence,and im sure the man upstairs is watching,have a wonderful life living with the fact that you shot your son out of shear idiocey,and walked away
ked

AOL

#10 Oct 20, 2009
WHO GIVES A FK, I DONT CARE HOW "NICE " PEOPLE THEY WERE, THEY HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO SYMPATHY FROM ME,...FKEN HUNTERS DESERVE EVERY SINGLE THING THEY GET, THESE FKEN IGNORANT SCUMBAGS RUNNING AROUND THE WOODS LOOKING FOR THINGS TO KILL ??? PLEASE,..THEY "REEP WHAT THEY SOW".........Tough SHIT! GET A NEW FKEN "HOBBY", HUNTING IS FOR PUSSIES!

Since: Jan 09

KEEP OUT

#11 Oct 20, 2009
ked wrote:
WHO GIVES A FK, I DONT CARE HOW "NICE " PEOPLE THEY WERE, THEY HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO SYMPATHY FROM ME,...FKEN HUNTERS DESERVE EVERY SINGLE THING THEY GET, THESE FKEN IGNORANT SCUMBAGS RUNNING AROUND THE WOODS LOOKING FOR THINGS TO KILL ??? PLEASE,..THEY "REEP WHAT THEY SOW".........Tough SHIT! GET A NEW FKEN "HOBBY", HUNTING IS FOR PUSSIES!
I can't think of any season regarding any creatures from the cat family in my area.
I am impressed with your grasp of the English language. Keep trying and you will eventually be able to type something that resembles a coherent thought.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hunting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Too young to hunt deer? Not in Wisconsin Nov 14 scoob 1
News Hiking into hunting season: Some tips to stay safe Sep '17 im not a doctor 4
News Car-deer collisions on rise in much of Wabash V... (Apr '17) Apr '17 iloveblackyogapants 1
News Family: School shamed 9-year-old for wearing sh... (Jan '17) Jan '17 buff24seven 1
News Man shoots himself in chest with crossbow while... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Bigbill 1
News Ronald Weaner elected president of Pennsylvania... (Feb '11) Dec '16 deweyj 5
News Annual controlled deer hunt to begin next week (Oct '08) Oct '16 Larry 5
More from around the web