Carrollton Free Press Standard Letter...

Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the Editor | Randy Wilhelm

There are 4 comments on the Carrollton Free Press Standard story from Apr 9, 2014, titled Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the Editor | Randy Wilhelm. In it, Carrollton Free Press Standard reports that:

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources, which by law is required to conserve the deer herd, has instead destroyed it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Carrollton Free Press Standard.

bob

Burbank, OH

#1 Apr 9, 2014
Tell it to the front of my truck,jack.
Randy Miller

Uhrichsville, OH

#3 Apr 10, 2014
In 5 years I hit 3 deer and it cost me, and the insurance company, $7500 to get my new car fixed. We have an overpopulation of deer here, according to the district in Akron.
Back Country

Ocala, FL

#4 Apr 13, 2014
Could not agree more Randy. I have some acreage here in Carroll County and have more than one bullet hole in my house from summer wood chuck hunters not giving a hoot what direction they are shooting. If the city breed weekend warriors start using rifles for deer hunting in Ohio people are going to die.

Banned

“This town is nuts...”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#5 Apr 16, 2014
Game populations are managed by harvest limits and the age class and sex of the animals taken, not the method or means for how they are harvested. Human population density could factor in to the decision not to allow these calibers but It would be a very small factor since the chances of someone accidentally being harmed by a stray bullet that was fired at an animal is extremely low. It might happen a couple times per year in the entire country so you're probably more likely to be struck by lightning twice.

The advantage to allowing such calibers is the hope that they might allow someone to harvest an animal that they may not have otherwise. The memory of that harvest could be the tie that binds that hunter to the outdoors as a way of life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hunting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Coyote Hunting in Michigan Jun '16 Get Out 4
Funny Hunting Accident Stories Jun '16 Mortimer Durand 1
News Annual controlled deer hunt to begin next week (Oct '08) May '16 mistake this yr a... 4
News Trump Jr. stumps for Trump Sr. in Covington Apr '16 Just Sayin 4
News Phil Robertson takes Ted Cruz duck hunting (Jan '16) Jan '16 Riding the Range 1
Whitetail Deer Hunting (Oct '14) Jan '16 Aquarius-WY 14
News or 2016, House Speaker Paul Ryan sets sights on... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Ritual Habitual 1
More from around the web