Family dog mistaken for coyote, shot ...

Family dog mistaken for coyote, shot and killed by hunter

There are 9 comments on the Bangor Daily News story from Dec 30, 2011, titled Family dog mistaken for coyote, shot and killed by hunter. In it, Bangor Daily News reports that:

YORK, Maine - Officials say charges are likely to be filed after a hunter fatally shot a family dog in southern Maine.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bangor Daily News.

montanajohn

Billings, MT

#1 Dec 30, 2011
what no leash law in maine!!
go to the pound and get a new dog...

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#2 Dec 31, 2011
The dog deserves to DIE because a human didn't put a leash on it? What a stupid statement.

Why the hell would a hunter be shooting at coyotes anyway? Does he eat them? I doubt it! Can we not ALL share the land and get along in peace?

Joe USA

“"Fortitudine Vincimus"”

Since: Oct 09

USA

#3 Dec 31, 2011
Plenty of people shoot cyotes for different reasons, Raptor. They'er vermin. As well as pet dogs that run wild and chase game animals or cattle for food or fun.
This news piece is poorly written and contradicts itself, pet owners have a responsibility.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#4 Dec 31, 2011
Joe USA wrote:
Plenty of people shoot cyotes for different reasons, Raptor. They'er vermin. As well as pet dogs that run wild and chase game animals or cattle for food or fun.
This news piece is poorly written and contradicts itself, pet owners have a responsibility.
Happy New Year, Joe! As a pet owner, I agree. But death is quite a sentence for what could possibly be a "mistake" by someone. How do you explain to a child that comes home from school to find the meter reader let the dog out of the yard That someone shot him? Or Grandma came to visit and Fido scooted out the door by accident?

Some people might "consider coyotes "vermin," but that doesn't make it so. They are real live beings with feelings and families. To shoot a creature just because it exists is wrong. Food or self defense is a different situation that I can understand.

Joe USA

“"Fortitudine Vincimus"”

Since: Oct 09

USA

#5 Jan 2, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy New Year, Joe! As a pet owner, I agree. But death is quite a sentence for what could possibly be a "mistake" by someone. How do you explain to a child that comes home from school to find the meter reader let the dog out of the yard That someone shot him? Or Grandma came to visit and Fido scooted out the door by accident?
Some people might "consider coyotes "vermin," but that doesn't make it so. They are real live beings with feelings and families. To shoot a creature just because it exists is wrong. Food or self defense is a different situation that I can understand.
Happy New Year to you too, Raptor!
"How do you explain to a child"...? With mine, I tell them the truth, simple.
As to coyotes being vermin... I enjoy/love the outofdoors and everything that goes with it. That being said, coyotes can reek havoc on "stuff"... plenty, and there is a gazillion of em. They get dead for it, its life in the real world. That includes rouge pets that reek havoc in the outofdoors.
I'm not trying to making blankets statements, Raptor. There is a time for everything.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#6 Jan 2, 2012
Joe USA wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy New Year to you too, Raptor!
"How do you explain to a child"...? With mine, I tell them the truth, simple.
As to coyotes being vermin... I enjoy/love the outofdoors and everything that goes with it. That being said, coyotes can reek havoc on "stuff"... plenty, and there is a gazillion of em. They get dead for it, its life in the real world. That includes rouge pets that reek havoc in the outofdoors.
I'm not trying to making blankets statements, Raptor. There is a time for everything.
I believe you are in the desert southwest, no? You might have a gazzilion coyotes. Those of us in other locations may not relate to that.

I've had problems with rogue pets, mostly cats- and they do reek havoc on other wildlife. I always at least give them a chance. They go to the shelter. Someone either claims them or they don't.

I don't get many rogue dogs though. The few I had, I found their owners instead of sending them to the shelter. One got away from the owner time and time again. The last time he ended up in the shelter and the owners wouldn't go claim him. They had no interest. He would have died unclaimed. He's now three years old and one of the nicest, gentlest dogs I've ever owned! I couldn't even imagine someone shooting him simply because he was walking around free.

Joe USA

“"Fortitudine Vincimus"”

Since: Oct 09

USA

#7 Jan 3, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you are in the desert southwest, no? You might have a gazzilion coyotes. Those of us in other locations may not relate to that.
I've had problems with rogue pets, mostly cats- and they do reek havoc on other wildlife. I always at least give them a chance. They go to the shelter. Someone either claims them or they don't.
I don't get many rogue dogs though. The few I had, I found their owners instead of sending them to the shelter. One got away from the owner time and time again. The last time he ended up in the shelter and the owners wouldn't go claim him. They had no interest. He would have died unclaimed. He's now three years old and one of the nicest, gentlest dogs I've ever owned! I couldn't even imagine someone shooting him simply because he was walking around free.
You're right, no. NW No blanket statements, a time for everything.
jmom

Milford, NH

#8 Jan 19, 2012
Hunters have a responsibility to know for certain what they are shooting when they fire a gun, which is why this hunter is now facing charges. This was no rogue dog that was running out of control on a game preserve or cattle ranch. It was a well-behaved family pet being walked on a trail in a residential area/neighborhood. The dog looks NOTHING like a coyote. To blame the family is absurd and callous.
Jesus_H_Christ

Pittsburgh, PA

#9 May 31, 2012
Joe USA wrote:
Plenty of people shoot cyotes for different reasons, Raptor. They'er vermin. As well as pet dogs that run wild and chase game animals or cattle for food or fun.
This news piece is poorly written and contradicts itself, pet owners have a responsibility.
Wrong.

Coyotes EAT vermin such as mice. Mice eat what we eat. There are a lot of mice.

Got it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hunting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do hunters have gay sex in the woods ? (Jun '13) Aug 25 Mick 13
Coyote Hunting in Michigan Jun '16 Get Out 4
Funny Hunting Accident Stories Jun '16 Mortimer Durand 1
News Annual controlled deer hunt to begin next week (Oct '08) May '16 mistake this yr a... 4
News Trump Jr. stumps for Trump Sr. in Covington Apr '16 Just Sayin 4
News Phil Robertson takes Ted Cruz duck hunting (Jan '16) Jan '16 Riding the Range 1
Whitetail Deer Hunting (Oct '14) Jan '16 Aquarius-WY 14
More from around the web