Boy shot while turkey hunting with dad in SE Wis.

Full story: TwinCities.com

Authorities say a boy dressed in camouflage was shot while turkey hunting with his father in Jackson Marsh in southeastern Wisconsin.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of94
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
fred

Sparta, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2011

Judged:

Take the guns away from that shooter!! He is a loose cannon.

Moms, keep your little ones away from these hunting 'parties'!! Every year children are killed because hunters don't practice the least safety.
Smartass

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2011

Judged:

This is terrible. Dad has no brain and one wounded child. This kid is not old enough to be out there. Other hunters saw something moved and shot. Now tell me this is God's way.
Robert Thorn

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2011

Judged:

Whomever wrote this for the AP made themselves look quite ignorant with the last sentence in the story.

A five year old should never be out in the woods or field or slough during hunting season. That is just too young to assure their safety. A five year old especially should never be out during a turkey hunt because turkey hunting is the most dangerous hunting we have in this part of the country. The shooter also needs to be charged. Who shoots at what they 'think' is a turkey?
Sevens

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2011

Judged:

A child is never too young to be introduced to the outdoors. Dad did nothing wrong here.

Yet it's really sad that I have to think twice about taking my nephew or future children out to experience the most beautiful and exciting of the hunting seasons because some twit can't be bothered to hunt safely.

There's no reason to blame the father. It boils down to an idiot who was more than likely breaking a law (stalking) and most certainly breaking tons of common sense laws.
Robert Thorn

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2011

Judged:

Sevens wrote:
A child is never too young to be introduced to the outdoors. Dad did nothing wrong here.
Yet it's really sad that I have to think twice about taking my nephew or future children out to experience the most beautiful and exciting of the hunting seasons because some twit can't be bothered to hunt safely.
There's no reason to blame the father. It boils down to an idiot who was more than likely breaking a law (stalking) and most certainly breaking tons of common sense laws.
BECAUSE of the inherent dangers involved in hunting is PRECISELY why a 5 year old is to young to take hunting. The boys in our family knew they could go to deer camp during deer season only when they were 12 years old (the age legal at the time) and they looked forward to it with GREAT anticipation. I'm sure it did not live up to their expectations. But the anticipation was a good thing. Turkey hunting is too dangerous to bring along a 5 year old. This story is sad evidence that I am correct. A 7 year old was killed a few years ago in Minnesota under similar circumstqnces..
Sevens

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2011

Judged:

I'm not disagreeing that there's a degree of danger involved with turkey hunting. You are certainly correct.

However, the inherent danger involved is right up there with riding a bike, taking a bath, playing outside, etc.

I spent many happy hours in the woods with my father long before I was carrying a gun. I'm glad he did, for the simple fact that by the age of 12, I would have lost interest due to sports and Nintendo, and missed out on many great childhood experiences.

I do understand where you're coming from, but the truth is, a father shouldn't have to worry about things like this. Another person's incompetence and ignorance caused this accident, nothing else. The shooter carries 100% of the blame for his actions. Two cardinal rules of turkey hunting were completely ignored; no stalking and positively identify your target.
Robert Thorn

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2011

Judged:

The fact that a 5 year old died is all that matters. Riding a bike is not in the same universe when compared to the dangers of hunting. I took my young children out with me during other times of the year rather than when there were other people in the woods with loaded weapons. Of course you can do as you wish, good luck to you.
Sevens wrote:
I'm not disagreeing that there's a degree of danger involved with turkey hunting. You are certainly correct.
However, the inherent danger involved is right up there with riding a bike, taking a bath, playing outside, etc.
I spent many happy hours in the woods with my father long before I was carrying a gun. I'm glad he did, for the simple fact that by the age of 12, I would have lost interest due to sports and Nintendo, and missed out on many great childhood experiences.
I do understand where you're coming from, but the truth is, a father shouldn't have to worry about things like this. Another person's incompetence and ignorance caused this accident, nothing else. The shooter carries 100% of the blame for his actions. Two cardinal rules of turkey hunting were completely ignored; no stalking and positively identify your target.
Wolverine

Cumberland, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2011

Judged:

The shooter is 100% responsible for the incident. It is criminal negligence that resulted in a death & should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. No blame should be given to the father or the child enjoying a hunting outing together.
Robert Thorn

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2011

Judged:

Wolverine wrote:
The shooter is 100% responsible for the incident. It is criminal negligence that resulted in a death & should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. No blame should be given to the father or the child enjoying a hunting outing together.
I agree with you. Anyone who is not sure of their target should not be hunting at all. However, I still believe age 5 is too young to take a child hunting.
Wolverine

Cumberland, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2011

Judged:

Robert Thorn wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you. Anyone who is not sure of their target should not be hunting at all. However, I still believe age 5 is too young to take a child hunting.
So do not take your 5 year old hunting! I leave that decision up to the parents of the child, as it should be. Your opinions only effect your decisions. This is a free country, & my state has no age requirements to hunt.
Robert Thorn

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2011

Judged:

Wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>So do not take your 5 year old hunting! I leave that decision up to the parents of the child, as it should be. Your opinions only effect your decisions. This is a free country, & my state has no age requirements to hunt.
What's the matter wuth you? Go back and read my posts. I said do as you wish and I also gave ny opinion. These threads are all about opinions. We have both provided them.
Stray rounds flying

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2011

Judged:

A good reason to avoid being in the woods at all is that the DNR uses silencers to cull heards of deer and other animals.

If you are in the woods and hear a cracking noise, HIT THE DIRT because it is noise from a bullet passing near you. The cracking noise is from the bullet breaking the sound barrier.

The report from the gun being shot is muffled by the silencer.

BEWARE there are killers out there!!

“"Fortitudine Vincimus"”

Since: Oct 09

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

Judged:

Stray rounds flying wrote:
A good reason to avoid being in the woods at all is that the DNR uses silencers to cull heards of deer and other animals.
If you are in the woods and hear a cracking noise, HIT THE DIRT because it is noise from a bullet passing near you. The cracking noise is from the bullet breaking the sound barrier.
The report from the gun being shot is muffled by the silencer.
BEWARE there are killers out there!!
Make sure and let everyone know the next time the "sky is falling" too. LOL
Wolverine

Cumberland, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

Robert Thorn wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the matter wuth you? Go back and read my posts. I said do as you wish and I also gave ny opinion. These threads are all about opinions. We have both provided them.
Nothing. Your opinion is just that an opinion. It is not supported by the overall stats on hunting safety, nor does my state have an age limit to hunt. The idiots who shoot at sounds should be held responsible, not the young kids who want to hunt. Why do we hold the innocent responsible for criminal or negligent people? Your opinion SUCKS.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

Judged:

Wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>Nothing. Your opinion is just that an opinion. It is not supported by the overall stats on hunting safety, nor does my state have an age limit to hunt. The idiots who shoot at sounds should be held responsible, not the young kids who want to hunt. Why do we hold the innocent responsible for criminal or negligent people? Your opinion SUCKS.
You are wrong, dipshit. YOUR opinion is that of a brain dead dickless coward.
Wolverine

Cumberland, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

Judged:

cruaute de fin wrote:
<quoted text>You are wrong, dipshit. YOUR opinion is that of a brain dead dickless coward.
GFY, you freedom hater.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

Judged:

Wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>GFY, you freedom hater.
Oh, I love freedom, what I despise are dickless cowards that are taking up space and oxygen. Go take your meds, coward.
Wolverine

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

Judged:

It's true, hunters are cowards and have tiny, limp dicks.
Stanford Cardinal

Shakopee, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

Judged:

No laws were broken. The last time I check you liberal democrats we have the right to have weapons.

Now, would I bring my 5 year old out to hunt no, but that is the right of this parent. He is preparing his child to hunt and that might not be a bad idea because if Obama and the Democrats spend anymore of our tax dollars we will all be shooting squirrels for food.
Wolverine

Cumberland, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2011

Judged:

Wolverine wrote:
It's true, hunters are cowards and have tiny, limp dicks.
LOL! When liberals can't intelligently discuss differences, they resort to "penis envy" quips. Freud would have a ball with you idiots.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of94
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hunting Discussions

Search the Hunting Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Hunting Good Music Here It Is! Jun 30 PARIS COWBOY 2
Hunting Good Music, Here It Is ! Jun 30 PARIS COWBOY 2
The Mike Williams mystery (Dec '06) Jun 29 parrrd 26
Pa. push on to legalize semiautomatic rifles fo... Jun 23 Rockchucker44 1
Ohio Grassman photo from game camera ? (Jul '13) Jun 20 Andreaanimallover 3
Hunting Leases Jun 11 Violet Campbell 1
'American Idol' recap: Dexter Roberts' luck run... May '14 Fanbase 8
•••
•••