Chris Niskanen: Deer hunting, Western...

Chris Niskanen: Deer hunting, Western-style

There are 11 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Nov 28, 2010, titled Chris Niskanen: Deer hunting, Western-style. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

On a sleeting Sunday afternoon in western Wisconsin, Steve Falkers and Parker Wegwerth saddled up their horses, put .30-30 Winchesters in their scabbards and went deer hunting.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Ice Pony Girl

Rush City, MN

#1 Nov 28, 2010
While I'm not a hunter fan, I did enjoy your horsey story. Good job Candy and Vegas!!! Hope to see ya on the trails next summer!
Ice Pony Girl

Rush City, MN

#2 Nov 28, 2010
Oops...that should be not a HUNTING fan. Sorry!:O)
Deer Wounding

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Nov 28, 2010
Hunting with a decades old 3030 results in more wounded deer running away to die later of infection and slow loss of blood.

Funny how "civilized people" are allowed to shoot deer with a .223 caliber firearm and a 30 pound pull bow and a 3030. Neither weapon results in damage needed to kill a deer without undo suffering by the animal AND many lost animals.

Years a go I hunted with a bow and asked a farmer if I could hunt his property and he said NO because of the number of deer he saw with arrows sticking out of them. I now hunt with a .308 which is a strong performer when shooting deer.
twins

Montevideo, MN

#4 Nov 28, 2010
Deer Wounding wrote:
Hunting with a decades old 3030 results in more wounded deer running away to die later of infection and slow loss of blood.
Funny how "civilized people" are allowed to shoot deer with a .223 caliber firearm and a 30 pound pull bow and a 3030. Neither weapon results in damage needed to kill a deer without undo suffering by the animal AND many lost animals.
Years a go I hunted with a bow and asked a farmer if I could hunt his property and he said NO because of the number of deer he saw with arrows sticking out of them. I now hunt with a .308 which is a strong performer when shooting deer.
A lot of deer have been killed with a 30-30 calib. rifle and I doubt that farmer saw one deer with an arrow sticking out of it, he probably just used that as an excuse to tell you no !!!
Deer Wounding

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Nov 29, 2010
twins wrote:
<quoted text>A lot of deer have been killed with a 30-30 calib. rifle and I doubt that farmer saw one deer with an arrow sticking out of it, he probably just used that as an excuse to tell you no !!!
You are right many deer have been killed with 30-30s. However I have used 30-30s and did not have good luck with killing the animals unless you drop a round into the chest cavity. Once I converted to a .308 the difference was dramatic and none now escape once hit even if the hit isn't in the best place.

Oh ya I know the world is a perfect place and every shot at a deer is supposed to be at less than 30 yards with NO brush between you and the deer but there is a real world out there and perfect conditions are virtually NEVER present.

Don't know if you are aware but the MnDNR has lowered the minimum pull of a bow for deer hunting to 30 pounds. I used to use a 40 pound pull bow and it was inadaquate I cannot uderstand why it is now legal to stick arrows in deer with a 30 pound bow. Makes no sense.

BTW I was never able to hit a deer with my 40 pound bow. I took one shot at a deer and the arrow dropped in front of the deer and she ran past me so fast I had no time to knotch another arrow and after that I decided Archery hunting was a waste of time and the arrow was no match for a Whitetail.
Scott S

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Dec 1, 2010
There is this thing called ethics. True a .308 will plow through more brush than a 30-30, but even a .375HH Mag won't go through a 12" Oak. If you don't have a clean shot you shouldn't be shooting. I don't care how big the buck is. I happen to hunt with a .308 and it is a great whitetail caliber.
Deer Wounding

Delano, MN

#7 Dec 1, 2010
Scott S wrote:
There is this thing called ethics. True a .308 will plow through more brush than a 30-30, but even a .375HH Mag won't go through a 12" Oak. If you don't have a clean shot you shouldn't be shooting. I don't care how big the buck is. I happen to hunt with a .308 and it is a great whitetail caliber.
Same hit with 30-30 and .308 WILL produce different results. Unless you hunt fields and areas with NO brush there is always the possibility of a round hitting something on the way to the target.

My brother tested various rounds ability to go through brush and now uses 180 grain 30 cal round nose bullets, from a .308 or 30-06. The 180 grain consistantly punched through the brush hitting the target.
Outfidel

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Dec 1, 2010
Scott S wrote:
This.

I use either my 30-06 or my 35 Rem. depending on the day. Some days if I am going to be on a stand where I know it will be short range I'll even use my .44. All of them are more than adequate for deer/brush. But I agree with you that a clean shot is most important. I've seen way too many people take rear end shots, gut shots etc. If I don't have a good shot I won't shoot. It takes restraint to do so after sitting for hours upon hours without sometimes seeing a thing. But I've harvested many deer and I've NEVER had to track one or lost a deer. Yes things can happen ie: a larger branch diverting the round etc. But hunters ought to take more care in shot placement.

BTW I also agree that .223 and a 30lb. bow are waaaay too low for whitetails. Frankly I'm not sure why the DNR decided to allow this.
Scott S

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Dec 1, 2010
"Same hit with 30-30 and .308 WILL produce different results." This is true, but if hit in the vitals both results will be fatal. Heck, I know a guy that harvested a 400+lb black bear with a 30-30 back in the day when you got tags for both. My only point was shot placement is everything. Outfidel nailed it, too many hunters taking shots that shouldn't be taken..223 is light for deer hunting. On the other hand poachers have been known to use .22lr due to the low noise. Deer are not a tough animal to kill.
Deer Wounding

Delano, MN

#10 Dec 1, 2010
Scott S wrote:
"Same hit with 30-30 and .308 WILL produce different results." This is true, but if hit in the vitals both results will be fatal. Heck, I know a guy that harvested a 400+lb black bear with a 30-30 back in the day when you got tags for both. My only point was shot placement is everything. Outfidel nailed it, too many hunters taking shots that shouldn't be taken..223 is light for deer hunting. On the other hand poachers have been known to use .22lr due to the low noise. Deer are not a tough animal to kill.
You admit a .223 is lite for deer but focus on placement. Seems like you are on the proverbial fence.

Poachers have been using 22LR but consider they have an slight advantage in that they shoot from vehicles with deer standing still in the open with no brush or trees between them and the animal.

My experiance shows the 30-30 just doesn't damage the animal like a .308. Because of the size of the wound you have a better chance of killing the animal AND if the placement didn't go as planned there is more blood loss so the animal can be tracked and found.

We stay at the Gunflint Lodge in spring, off peak rates. Anyway there is a herd of deer up there and you see the aftermath of hunting. One deer had a wound in it nose, clear through it's nose. I'll bet one of those "Placement" shooters aimed at the head for a clean kill and the deer pulled it's head back when it saw the recoil and results of the weapon discharge. So the deer lived with a cavity through the nose.

Deer hunting is not an exact sport with known outcomes and the way I see it the bigger cal. the better, from 40+ years experiance.
NOBSALLOWED

Houston, TX

#11 May 9, 2013
To the fool who made an idiot out of himself when he stated that bows, 223, and 30-30 can only wound deer. learn how to shoot, and dont be so dependent on the caliber to do your killing. Kill your game with skill of making good shots and smart decisions. Be a hunter, and not an ignorant butcher. I killed my first deer when i was 5 years old using a 223 with 55 grain remington core lock ammo. I killed my limit of deer every year after that using a 223. when i was 11 years old i killed my first deer with a fred bear 55 lb recurve. i killed my limit evey year after that with either a bow are 223. when i was 22 years old i borrowed a 300 win mag (the sights were dead on) and wounded my first deer. i shot a doe at 150 yards, hit her in the shoulder and out the other shoulder, and didnt find her until i saw the buzzards two days later. i have killed, elk, fallow, nalgi, axis, hogs, ibex, and tons of deer with 223 and bow every since, and have yet to lose another animal. become a good shot, a good hunter, and learn to make smart decisions while under pressure. Dont be so dependent on a cannon to compinsate for your lack of talent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hunting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hiking into hunting season: Some tips to stay safe Sep 17 im not a doctor 4
News Car-deer collisions on rise in much of Wabash V... Apr '17 iloveblackyogapants 1
News Family: School shamed 9-year-old for wearing sh... (Jan '17) Jan '17 buff24seven 1
News Man shoots himself in chest with crossbow while... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Bigbill 1
News Ronald Weaner elected president of Pennsylvania... (Feb '11) Dec '16 deweyj 5
News Annual controlled deer hunt to begin next week (Oct '08) Oct '16 Larry 5
Do hunters have gay sex in the woods ? (Jun '13) Aug '16 Mick 13
More from around the web