Five generations of Howard hunters

There are 15 comments on the Nov 2, 2012, The Brainerd Daily Dispatch story titled Five generations of Howard hunters. In it, The Brainerd Daily Dispatch reports that:

Jennifer Stockinger/ Duff Howard of Ottertail Friday walks out of the hunting shack, a place where he has hunted since the late 50s.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brainerd Daily Dispatch.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
NYDeerslayer

Albany, NY

#128 Dec 9, 2012
Girls Hunt Too wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad to hear you got some venison on your trip. I can't believe how cruel those words were against your family! How can someone justify threating a human life all for "taking" an animal as we have done for years and years! I find myself shocked by these anti hunters! If you don't eat meat...o.k I get it...otherwise they just don't make sense! My husband watched does and fawns walk by his tree stand and a huge buck that he was not confident enough to take a shot at. This is man in nature and it is not as easy as going to the store. I would love to see "those" people try to get a wild turkey within 20 yards to take a shot with a bow! God! I wish they could only see how the butterball turkey they are eating was raised and killed!. Happy Hoildays to your family and enjoy the fruits of your labour!
Thank You GHT. I hope your husband gets the buck he's been so patient for. Happy Holidays to you and yours as well!!!
NYDeerslayer

Albany, NY

#129 Dec 9, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting you mention hair and odors.
I just got back from our cabin where a friend was out hunting in my BF's tree stand.
She didn't want my dogs to get near her hunting gear because of "dog scent" being sensed by the deer.
People have homes and cabins and dogs throughout this section of woods.
My friends hunting gear is "dog scent free." My gear is not. She didn't see any deer while in the tree stand sitting motionless and scentless. I see them frequently while walking AND while sitting.
Do you believe "scent" of any kind really makes a difference on whether or not the deer come in? I don't buy the fact that it does. Of course, I never hunted, so I don't know for sure. Only going by how often I see them, and she doesn't.
Hi Raptor, My take on the whole scent free thing, I think if the deer are used to a certain scent, such as a dog in a backyard, it will not be as skitchy as if it smells a dog where it normally wouldn't, deep in the woods. I think they are alarmed at scent they are not sure of. deer who are used to people (especially if fed in a residential area) are less likely to be alarmed as well as younger more inexperienced deer. A big buck didn't get that big by being stupid, most of these deer know what a hunter is and may be completely noctural outside of the rut when they make the mistake of coming out of their cover to chase does.
on the ground or in a stand, I always sit downwind of where I think the deer will come through religiously, and it works for me. The only true advantage of a stand is the deer is less likely to spot you.
Get Out

Jacksonville, NC

#130 Dec 11, 2012
<quoted text>
Interesting you mention hair and odors.
I just got back from our cabin where a friend was out hunting in my BF's tree stand.
She didn't want my dogs to get near her hunting gear because of "dog scent" being sensed by the deer.
People have homes and cabins and dogs throughout this section of woods.
My friends hunting gear is "dog scent free." My gear is not. She didn't see any deer while in the tree stand sitting motionless and scentless. I see them frequently while walking AND while sitting.
Do you believe "scent" of any kind really makes a difference on whether or not the deer come in? I don't buy the fact that it does. Of course, I never hunted, so I don't know for sure. Only going by how often I see them, and she doesn't.
Some scents deer will run from and others not so much. I think it depends on what they’re exposed to on a regular basis. Had a friend that shot two deer within ten minutes of each other while smoking a cigarette on a farm we hunted. The wind was blowing the cigarette smoke towards the deer too. The farmers’ house was upwind (2 to 300 yards away) and almost in line with the hunter, he was a smoker as well.
Girls Hunt Too

Windsor, Canada

#131 Dec 14, 2012
It also depends on the hunting pressure. If a smell is unframiliar to a deer that has not been exposed to humans...he may take interest or run the other way. I find heavily hunted deer are far more nervous. My husband is religious about scent covers....over the top maybe! Like Ny said being downwind is your best bet..but a mature buck will come up around you if he is unsure. Sometimes it's just luck or a buck stupified by the scent of a doe!!

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#132 Dec 14, 2012
We had just finsihed installing some fencing for the dogs up north when no sooner did we walk in the house, I looked outside and saw two deer- a doe and a fawn, at the bird feeder, less than ten feet from where we were working. They must have been watching from the shadows.

Oh yeah, we saw a flying squirrel up at the cabin last weekend too. We had gone out driving at night to see what we could find when it flew right in front of the truck and our headlights hit it at just the right time.

GHT, Have you made it to Cabelas yet? I hope you let me know if and when you do and we will try to get over there to meet you.
Girls Hunt Too

Windsor, Canada

#133 Dec 16, 2012
We had just finsihed installing some fencing for the dogs up north when no sooner did we walk in the house, I looked outside and saw two deer- a doe and a fawn, at the bird feeder, less than ten feet from where we were working. They must have been watching from the shadows.
Oh yeah, we saw a flying squirrel up at the cabin last weekend too. We had gone out driving at night to see what we could find when it flew right in front of the truck and our headlights hit it at just the right time.
GHT, Have you made it to Cabelas yet? I hope you let me know if and when you do and we will try to get over there to meet you.
No it's been so busy at my store and with Christmas coming up my schedule is crazy! I was really sick for awhile with a chest infection. It will be in the New Year...I will let you know. I want to buy a ice fishing shanty. We have 15 pounds of goose and duck sausage coming next week....yum!

SE Michigan

#134 Dec 16, 2012
Girls Hunt Too wrote:
<quoted text>
No it's been so busy at my store and with Christmas coming up my schedule is crazy! I was really sick for awhile with a chest infection. It will be in the New Year...I will let you know. I want to buy a ice fishing shanty. We have 15 pounds of goose and duck sausage coming next week....yum!
Sounds good. Is it like a breakfast sausage?
You might be able to get a really good deal on an ice fishing shanty this year. Second year with no ice up this way, and people have no use for them here anymore.:)
Girls Hunt Too

Windsor, Canada

#135 Dec 19, 2012
No not breakfast they're bigger but we do eat them with eggs sometimes. It is so mild here I don't know if we will get any ice?!

SE Michigan

#136 Dec 19, 2012
Girls Hunt Too wrote:
No not breakfast they're bigger but we do eat them with eggs sometimes. It is so mild here I don't know if we will get any ice?!
That's funny, it's kinda warm here too.:)
But I see they are expecting a winter storm with 10+ inches of snow up at the cabin.
Is this cool, or what???
A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM THURSDAY TO 7 PM EST FRIDAY.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER...

* HEAVY SNOWFALL WILL DEVELOP THROUGH THE DAY THURSDAY AND CONTINUE INTO MUCH OF THURSDAY NIGHT. SNOWFALL TOTALS WILL BE IN EXCESS OF 10 INCHES. BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WILL ACCOMPANY THIS SNOW... ESPECIALLY LATE THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY... WITH POSSIBLE PERIODS OF BLIZZARD CONDITIONS FOR PORTIONS OF NORTHWEST LOWER MICHIGAN.
http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localal...

Did you get your snowshoes yet?

On a sadder note, we may or may not go up this weekend. It depends on the dog. He is not well. We're hoping the drugs he's on can give a him a few more weeks/months of quality life.
Girls Hunt Too

Windsor, Canada

#137 Dec 20, 2012
<quoted text>
That's funny, it's kinda warm here too.:)
But I see they are expecting a winter storm with 10+ inches of snow up at the cabin.
Is this cool, or what???
A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM THURSDAY TO 7 PM EST FRIDAY.
HAZARDOUS WEATHER...
* HEAVY SNOWFALL WILL DEVELOP THROUGH THE DAY THURSDAY AND CONTINUE INTO MUCH OF THURSDAY NIGHT. SNOWFALL TOTALS WILL BE IN EXCESS OF 10 INCHES. BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WILL ACCOMPANY THIS SNOW... ESPECIALLY LATE THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY... WITH POSSIBLE PERIODS OF BLIZZARD CONDITIONS FOR PORTIONS OF NORTHWEST LOWER MICHIGAN.
http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localal...
Did you get your snowshoes yet?
On a sadder note, we may or may not go up this weekend. It depends on the dog. He is not well. We're hoping the drugs he's on can give a him a few more weeks/months of quality life.
That's sad to hear! I don't know what I'll do when my pets go! It's actually pouring rain here. Every day for the lasts 2 weeks have been dreary!I hope it at least snows for Christmas morning...the kids love that! Hopefully you'll get up to the cabin..then you can use your snowshoes! And no I haven't gotten any snowshoes yet! We need snow!! Happy Holidays to you!

SE Michigan

#138 Dec 31, 2012
Girls Hunt Too wrote:
<quoted text>
That's sad to hear! I don't know what I'll do when my pets go! It's actually pouring rain here. Every day for the lasts 2 weeks have been dreary!I hope it at least snows for Christmas morning...the kids love that! Hopefully you'll get up to the cabin..then you can use your snowshoes! And no I haven't gotten any snowshoes yet! We need snow!! Happy Holidays to you!
Thank you. I hope your Christmas was good.

I was able to get out Friday and do some snowshoeing down home. It was a good workout...and sorely needed.

We are up north at the cabin for the weekend and so far so good with Austin. He's had fun running on the property and riding here and there in the truck. He's on Prednisone which has reduced his tumors and their effects....temporarily. I treasure each and every moment he has left. It is definitely hard to lose a pet, but not a damn thing we can do about it. At this point I can only pray that his remaining time is pain-free and fun. His favorite thing to do is to go swimming. I hope he lasts long enough to go in the lake at least one more time. I know that's asking for alot at this point. We are lucky we got another Christmas with him and another trip to the cabin and to the property. When I get home I have a good photo of him enjoying the weekend. I will post it on my profile page.

Everything up here is covered in snow right now. I just stepped outside and flakes are falling gently. It is SOOO beautiful. Maybe I will get some snowshoeing in tomorrow before we head home. I was in the process of making a trail in the yard, but there is so much snow on the trees, many of them are bent down to the ground blocking what little path I had created. No matter, I can take the road down to the river.

There are alot of people snowmobiling up here. It's really good for the businesses that got hurt because of lack of snow last year.

Oh, I see it's after midnight. I missed the ball dropping. Oh well, no biggie. I don't celebrate getting older. But Happy New Year to you and everyone else here.
Girls Hunt Too

Windsor, Canada

#139 Jan 16, 2013
Sorry I've been soooo busy at work but now my hours get cut..being Jan and all! We had snow and ice. We were even able to go ice fishing but a few days of record high temps ruined all that! it's cold now and i hope everything freezes so we can do my daughters bday at point pelee! We missed out last year and everyone enjoys a change from our usual house parties! I have been thinking of taken the kids skiing! Haven't done it myself in 15 years! We'll see what the weather brings! Health and happiness in the new year!

SE Michigan

#140 Jan 16, 2013
Girls Hunt Too wrote:
Sorry I've been soooo busy at work but now my hours get cut..being Jan and all! We had snow and ice. We were even able to go ice fishing but a few days of record high temps ruined all that! it's cold now and i hope everything freezes so we can do my daughters bday at point pelee! We missed out last year and everyone enjoys a change from our usual house parties! I have been thinking of taken the kids skiing! Haven't done it myself in 15 years! We'll see what the weather brings! Health and happiness in the new year!
Lucky you! I (kinda) wish my hours would get cut! There is just SOOOO much I want to do, but no time.

Skiing is one thing I've never done, but always wanted to. Enjoy if you go.

Don't feel bad about the ice melting. Our snow melted up north too. We're hoping for some more Saturday so he can take the snowmobile out and do some riding. It will be his last chance this year because he gets surgery at the end of the month.
mike

Macon, MO

#141 Jan 17, 2013
I love hearing stories about hunting familys its a great tradition one that we need to keep carrying on. Some of the best memories I have in my life are spending time outdoors fishing and hunting with family and friends. Come check out my site on facebook at gruntin n' gobblin outfitters.

SE Michigan

#142 Mar 5, 2013
Girls Hunt Too wrote:
Health, not so much. I got knocked on my a** Thursday. Today I think I'm finally starting to get over the flu, or whatever it was that hit me. I've been watching the Home and Garden Channel and a few House Hunting episodes have been in Canada. That made me think of you. We are getting some sunny days now and I wonder if you've begun your home search. It's giving me the itch to start my own search.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hunting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hunting Leases (Jun '14) Apr 24 birain 2
News Turkey hunting: A Wisconsin success story Apr 24 birain 2
Countryside outfitters. Apr 24 birain 2
News Open Season: Book illustrates how to make your ... Apr 5 David 1
The Swamp Company Apr 1 Theresa Muddy Girl 1
News The Mike Williams mystery (Dec '06) Mar 29 Mukabi 32
'Tree Stand Murders' recounts St. Paul man's Wi... Mar '15 Lance 1
More from around the web