Residents sue, complain over proposed...

Residents sue, complain over proposed Buckroe Beach pier

There are 35 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Feb 20, 2008, titled Residents sue, complain over proposed Buckroe Beach pier. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

The city's plans to build a pier at Buckroe Beach may be in a snag more entangling than a snarled fishing reel.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hampton Taxpayer

Yorktown, VA

#1 Feb 20, 2008
I can't believe the only arguement to this plan is boating rights. How about the city doesn't need to spend our money on a pier. How about they don't need to be in the fishing pier business anymore than they should be in the hotel business. I mean the track record for Hampton financially should be proof enough that this is going to be a huge cost to the taxpayers. Mr. Agee speaks of the public good...what public good? Is the public crying out for a fishing pier? I think the City be better served by not spending the money on a pier. It is like the City Council has money just burning a hole in the pocket and they will spend on any hair brained scheme that comes along.
ksl

United States

#2 Feb 20, 2008
The pier will eventually cost around 10 million dollars. It will then lose more than a million dollars a year forever. Good investment? We could buy a charter boat to take citizens fishing for far less.
jack

United States

#3 Feb 20, 2008
Thats quite a large sum that Hampton taxpayers will have to pay to insure that some guy from Richmond has a place to fish. Why not ask other cities to pay for this project. Oh thats right this is one of Kearney's pet projects that he must finish before he is booted from office.
Hampton worker

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#4 Feb 20, 2008
Quit crying you babies!! Lets go fishing!!
Ex-Hamptonian

Hampton, VA

#5 Feb 20, 2008
ksl wrote:
The pier will eventually cost around 10 million dollars. It will then lose more than a million dollars a year forever. Good investment? We could buy a charter boat to take citizens fishing for far less.
Where do you keep getting this 10mil junk from? You're flaming.
Surry with a fringe

Atlanta, GA

#6 Feb 20, 2008
I agree that times have changed. If you want to really dress up Buckroe and make it family friendly, forget about the pier, with its parking. Think of the logic here. Would they build a 5 million dollar facility for smokers so they would have a place to enjoy some nicotine? Nope, so why is it so important to spend that kind of money when the homeowners in Hampton are already sweating out our annual real estate tax bills. I used to think of retiring. Now when I look at my annual tax bill, I figure I'll have to work just to pay my taxes. Just because there is a project on the books doesn't mean you're obligated to build it fellas.
Lillian

United States

#7 Feb 20, 2008
Why are they building a parking lot on the beach? Where are all the save the wetlands people now?
ksl

United States

#8 Feb 20, 2008
Ex-Hamptonian wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you keep getting this 10mil junk from? You're flaming.
Originally this project was supposed to cost 2 million. The city has not acquired all of the property necessary to build the parking lot on the beach. that cost and anticipated overruns will drive up the price. The one that gets me though is the annual loss that this will produce. That is the gift that will keep on giving for a lifetime. That is a lot of tax money down the toilet. Thats what has me flaming.
Chop-Hop

Huntsville, AL

#9 Feb 20, 2008
don't worry.
the pier will not be built.
atleast not there.
the City will pander to the economic elite...look no further than the publically funded private beach at the other end of Buckroe..to hell with the middle class tax payer...They ignored US as they sell the last bit of open space.
that same open space (lotts B) would have been pefect for over flow parking like it always has been. This group would rather pave the sand for parking..great.
I just pray that Hampton does not have ANY say so in regards to Fort Monroe.
Dewey

Virginia Beach, VA

#10 Feb 20, 2008
I don't understand why the city is in the pier building business. I guess Boss Ross needs a place to park his seafood barge.
Bob

Newport News, VA

#11 Feb 20, 2008
Dewey wrote:
I don't understand why the city is in the pier building business. I guess Boss Ross needs a place to park his seafood barge.
Because private companies have already figured out that you cannot make money on a fishing peer there. At least not one that is as elaborate as the city wants to built.

Why don't they just extend the pier/platform that is there now? I guess thats not expensive enough..

But rather that all of us flaming about how bad the city council is we ought to figure out who to vote in and vote out in the next election.(May is coming out.) obviously many on the current council are not real smart when it comes to spending our money.

Kearney and Leary are insane when it comes to fiscal responsibility on spending our money. Lets not vote those guys back please...
Dewey

Virginia Beach, VA

#12 Feb 20, 2008
Kearney needs to go! He just will not come off of his spending binge. Our taxes keep going up just to pay for his insanity.

I find it funny that the same city council that was up in arms over the wetlands in Grandview are now paving the beach front. I bet thats real good for the health of the bay. I guess thats just politics as usual for old Boss Ross. I'm sure all of Denbigh will thank him for building them a pier. Kearney is a real shrewd businessman. Thank goodnees he was a teacher or he would have starved to death.
Lonnie

Virginia Beach, VA

#13 Feb 20, 2008
The council must be smoking crack over in Hampton. Paving a beach? What in the world could they be thinking. Someone from the state or federal government has to step in to rescue mother nature.
donna

Newport News, VA

#14 Feb 20, 2008
people please, you can't own a beach unless you buy your own private island. the beach blongs to all of us coastline beaches can't be owned by anyone. the fishing pier should be built off of the pier that already exists at the beach. that pier had a restaurant on it when the amusement park was there, it has survived all the hurricanes since then. it should be built there, a restaurant should be built on it again with restrooms , picnic tables. it should be open all year round and made available to all of us. why build another one when there is a pier down at the beach that isn't getting used like it could be.

Since: Feb 08

United States

#15 Feb 20, 2008
hey! lets build a pier to attract fishermen to attract sharks to eat the beachgoers... a hot dog stand would be nice or a place to buy a cold drink... buckroe isn't much fun.
AJay

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#16 Feb 20, 2008
I don't think any of it matters. From the latest plan I saw, there is still insufficient parking, so while it may be considered a "public" beach, the general public is going to have a really difficult time getting to it.
Chop-Hop

Huntsville, AL

#17 Feb 20, 2008
you can't own a beach anywhere but HAMPTON.
Grandview beach, The beach at the end of first street..the beach between Buckroe and Fortmonroe.
this IS PRIVATE BEACH. just try and park near it or walk down it and find out for yourself.
Dewey

Virginia Beach, VA

#18 Feb 20, 2008
Am I the only one that is outraged about the fact that Hampton is paving the beach? It doesn't make any difference who owns it once they turn the beach into a parking lot. Yes they are going to pave paradise and turn it into a parking lot.
Property Rights

Norfolk, VA

#19 Feb 20, 2008
donna wrote:
people please, you can't own a beach unless you buy your own private island. the beach blongs to all of us coastline beaches can't be owned by anyone. the fishing pier should be built off of the pier that already exists at the beach. that pier had a restaurant on it when the amusement park was there, it has survived all the hurricanes since then. it should be built there, a restaurant should be built on it again with restrooms , picnic tables. it should be open all year round and made available to all of us. why build another one when there is a pier down at the beach that isn't getting used like it could be.
Wrong again Donna...
Huh

United States

#20 Feb 20, 2008
donna wrote:
people please, you can't own a beach unless you buy your own private island.
What??? I can't believe you actually made this statement. Each property owner in White Marsh own part of the beach. I do believe that the owners still allow people to use the beach even though it is private property.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fishing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News French Broad River water levels are advantageou... (Aug '08) Oct '17 jdr3366 13
News $10K Offered For Info Leading To Arrest In Colu... (May '17) May '17 Palin s Turkey Th... 1
News Lake Logan Center to host fly fishing school (Feb '17) Feb '17 N2TROUT 1
News Realtree Launches New Fishing Lifestyle Brand (Feb '17) Feb '17 Mr Snyder 2
News Weird news has been going on for years in Inlan... (Jan '17) Jan '17 Knock off purse s... 2
News Nudist swimmer left in agony in lake - after fi... (Aug '16) Aug '16 Nudistfriendfinde... 1
News Boat repossession binge: Fort Lauderdale compan... (Apr '09) Aug '16 Steverino 69
More from around the web