Rio canoeing: Let's do it in El Paso

Full story: El Paso Times 21
Ski Kansas? No. But it makes for a clever T-shirt slogan. Canoe El Paso? Now there's an idea. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sounds good

El Paso, TX

#1 May 13, 2010
...if we can convince the folks at Elephant Butte to release enough flow to float a canoe.
Dionicio Rivera

New Orleans, LA

#2 May 13, 2010
Canoe El Paso! Now, that's a crazy idea. How crazy can you get? But that's a good one! It is about time we develop our resources instead of building a fence around it. This is not the first time I heard about it. The former mayor of Sunland Park, NM(sorry I forgot his name) was talking about it a long time ago. I think that could be one of the reasons he lost the re-election.

Count me in anyway. I support that crazy idea.
X El Pasoen

AOL

#3 May 13, 2010
Ill believe it when I see it, but seems that all good ideas get shot down in EP. What I think of first, has the water quality been taken into consideration. How many communities dump sewage, fertilzers, and insecticides into the river. If the canoe tips, what kind of growths, and sores will appear? Then as they say in Cruces, Flush twice, El Paso needs the water. EEWWWWWW!
X El Pasoen

AOL

#4 May 13, 2010
One more thing, a couple of weeks ago, I was at the river above Cruces, My Hound dog wouldnt even drink from the river, I wouldnt dare let him swim in the poop soup.
Really are you for real

El Paso, TX

#5 May 13, 2010
Sounds good in theory, but our esteemed Mayor appears to be living in a bubble. With all of the violence going on, I dont think moving targets paddling down the river would be a great idea. Mr. Mayor, get your priorities straight, fill in the potholes first, instead of spending my tax money on nonsense.
Really

El Paso, TX

#6 May 13, 2010
X El Pasoen wrote:
One more thing, a couple of weeks ago, I was at the river above Cruces, My Hound dog wouldnt even drink from the river, I wouldnt dare let him swim in the poop soup.
When the first Idiot(El Pasoan) drawns the party is over like always.
Eastside Mike

El Paso, TX

#7 May 13, 2010
Does anyone know the phone number for the Anthony River Rowing & Surf Club?
build it

El Paso, TX

#8 May 13, 2010
Ah, the good old days of the 70's and 80's. When the levee's were actually open. There were picnics, swimming, rafts, canoes, and depending on where along the levee you went, even a little skinny dipping. I could see this working, but there would need to be adequate security because the idiots will come out.
not a good idea

El Paso, TX

#9 May 13, 2010
many el pasoans cant swim and with the drug thing going on people would probably get kidnapped from their canoes.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#10 May 13, 2010
Really are you for real wrote:
Sounds good in theory, but our esteemed Mayor appears to be living in a bubble. With all of the violence going on, I dont think moving targets paddling down the river would be a great idea.
The proposed canoe "stretch" runs from the state line to just short of the international boundary... no canoing near the Mexico border, from what I read.

Since: Mar 10

El Paso, TX

#11 May 13, 2010
build it wrote:
Ah, the good old days of the 70's and 80's. When the levee's were actually open. There were picnics, swimming, rafts, canoes, and depending on where along the levee you went, even a little skinny dipping. I could see this working, but there would need to be adequate security because the idiots will come out.
Yes, the good old days, there river raft festival, I remember one year someone stole a beer truck, meet a lot of good people there. And yes, they will need plenty of security.
Chito Samaniego

El Paso, TX

#13 May 13, 2010
Baņate Guey!!!
dog

United States

#14 May 13, 2010
not a good idea wrote:
many el pasoans cant swim and with the drug thing going on people would probably get kidnapped from their canoes.
Doesn't sound like a good idea with the Mexicans running out of their own people to shoot. It sounds like a good way to have Americans be part of their target practice as the targets. That and of course a lot of canoes added from the Mexican side.
build it

El Paso, TX

#15 May 13, 2010
dog wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't sound like a good idea with the Mexicans running out of their own people to shoot. It sounds like a good way to have Americans be part of their target practice as the targets. That and of course a lot of canoes added from the Mexican side.
I love it when people post without informing themselves. It makes them look so stupid!
Just to teach you, this idea would not run along the part of the river that boundries Mexico. Besides the danger, it would not be fun because its concrete! This would be in the upper valley which mostly borders New Mexico and inside our state line. There, please people, don't make yourselves look stupid. No more posts about moving targets.

Since: Mar 10

El Paso, TX

#16 May 13, 2010
He's from Florida, he probably thinks we have alligators also.
Needs-vs-Wants

Mesa, AZ

#17 May 13, 2010
Not a good idea.

We would get a bunch of those canoe-crazy, banjo-playing rednecks like the guys from Deliverence showing up.

But, then again, they would be a good match for the all the insane bowling ladies in town.

Yee Haaaaa!
River Fan

El Paso, TX

#18 May 13, 2010
You do not need permission to enjoy the river.
If you have not visited the river in the last month you must ask yourself Why Not?
Go to the river, enjoy the river, and drag a canoe along if you want.
Someday there will actually be a place you can launch from.
Sorry Charlie

Round Mountain, NV

#19 May 13, 2010
We should not allow this. People might get the idea that the river should be restored to its natural state with trees and fish and stuff. Then they would want the water to be clean. Next thing you know, people would start thinking they deserve a livable community. There is no profit in that and everyone would lose their jobs.
kayaker

United States

#20 May 13, 2010
last time i was at the river there were signs prohibiting people to get in because the water was toxic.

have they cleaned up the water quality?
TJ Carlos

Austin, TX

#21 May 14, 2010
I like it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canoeing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rolling on the river (Apr '14) Apr '14 water 1
Man missing after boat capsizes on Concord River (Jul '09) Jan '14 forever ur cuzz 7
La Grange man loses life after saving grandson (Jun '13) Jun '13 Wonky 2
87-year-old canoes a day for each year of his life (Dec '12) Dec '12 Hyde Hitchcock 1
Companion charged with burglary as search for b... (Mar '12) Mar '12 Missing man in canoe 1
Ely man drowns canoeing on Grass Lake (Jul '11) Jul '11 richs 2
Daughter's quick action saves mother from drown... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Dark Dreamweaver 2
More from around the web