Driver In Deadly Boat Crash Claims Fa...

Driver In Deadly Boat Crash Claims False Allegations

There are 65 comments on the NewsChannel5.com Nashville story from Jul 23, 2008, titled Driver In Deadly Boat Crash Claims False Allegations. In it, NewsChannel5.com Nashville reports that:

SMITHVILLE, Tenn .- A boating trip turned deadly July 18 in DeKalb County. Investigators said around 9 p.m. Friday two boats on Center Hill Lake collided.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsChannel5.com Nashville.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Lee

Brentwood, TN

#62 Oct 14, 2008
volsman wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry - do you have a link to the report?
send an e-mail to:
[email protected] and request the report.
Lee

Brentwood, TN

#63 Oct 15, 2008
Well I guess money won - there were no charges filed against Maggart.
Average Joe

Mount Juliet, TN

#64 Oct 20, 2008
Mr. Maggart had a blood alcohol content of .03 when taken at 11:55 PM, 3 hours after the accident (according to the TWRA report). From what I've read the body metabolizes ~.015 per hour so wouldn't this indicate that Maggart had a blood alcohol content of ~0.075 3 hours earlier at the time of the accident?

The TWRA report actually lists in it's conclusions:

"Probable contributing factors to the cause of the collision:
1. Failure to display proper navigation lights by the operator of the Tahoe.
2. Reduced visual perception and reaction time by the operator of the Supra due to alcohol use and boater fatigue."

So why is Mr. Maggart not facing charges? If my tail lights are not functioning in my car and someone impaired by alcohol runs over me they would face charges. At least if they were an average Joe they would.
Average Joe

Mount Juliet, TN

#65 Oct 20, 2008
I am still amazed at Mr. Maggart leaving the scene of this tragic accident. According to the TWRA report Maggart circled back to see what he had hit, didn't get a clear response when he called out to the Coombs boat. A passenger on Maggart's boat saw 3 people in the Coombs boat.

And then they left these people alone and injured in the dark! How could they do that?

It was 15 minutes before a fishing boat arrived to help and another 30 minutes before TWRA arrived to help. Maggart didn't try to show anyone where the accident scene was or help in any way.

According to the report Maggart didn't contact any official until at 10:35, an hour and a half after the accident when moving his boat he saw a patol boat (more likely was seen by a patrol boat) and informed them he was in an accident. No 911 call, no call for help to anyone. He supposedly tried directory assistance for the Sheriff's department, but didn't continue the call when he saw a fishing boat and asked them to check on the other boat.

Then nothing!

The title of this news story is "Driver In Deadly Boat Crash Claims False Allegations". I would say the allegations were spot on. Maggart claimed he left the scene to call for help but the investigation found no sign he ever called anyone for help, not 911, TWRA or the Sheriff and only contacted authorities when he was spotted moving his boat an hour and a half later.
eyewitness

Crossville, TN

#66 Jan 5, 2010
What is the status of this case? Obviously, no criminal charges have been filed and are not going to be filed, but does anyone know about civil lawsuits or what may have happened? I have a unique interest in this case and I deserve to know what may have happened in terms of civil suits. An update would be appreciated. An email address from an informed person would help to get my communication moving further.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boating Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Upgrade provides better access to lake Aug '17 Water 1
News Tragedy strikes family members of Leasure (Jul '08) Jun '17 Evidence phart 9
News Who is James Jett? (Sep '08) May '17 anonymous 76
News GRDA Leaving Lake Levels Higher Through Labor D... (Sep '16) Feb '17 Lift 2
News Missing Woman's Family Seeks Answers, Launch Se... (Jul '10) Dec '16 King 112
News Boat repossession binge: Fort Lauderdale compan... (Apr '09) Aug '16 Steverino 69
Diversity is White Genocide (Jul '16) Jul '16 6978hkrjh 1
More from around the web