Lakeside charm | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Patrons enjoy the view at Capt'n Woody's Pub and Grub on Avondale Road, one of roughly a dozen bars and restaurants at Buckeye Lake, Ohio's oldest state park.
Comments
1 - 20 of 42 Comments Last updated Aug 9, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
NutCaseLies

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

Judged:

AHHH beautiful "Buckeye Swamp" gathering grounds of some of America's most radical nutcase right spin and hate propaganda.

Must be "something in the water" :)
We The People

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

Judged:

I've been there a couple of times,looked like a cesspool and mud hole,would not recomend swiming in it,better to stay home and drink than operate a boat while under the influence ,with all those hopped up speed boaters,bragging about who has the fastest meanest boats.....
Vuvuzela Jabulani

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

Judged:

They are just Grove Tucky transplants that live there.
ollie

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

Judged:

NutCaseLies wrote:
AHHH beautiful "Buckeye Swamp" gathering grounds of some of America's most radical nutcase right spin and hate propaganda.
thanks for the tip. I'll go.
Happy Ohioan

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

Judged:

To you who have nothing but nastiness in your hearts about our oldest state park with it's muddy lake, I feel so sorry for you. It means you have no memories of the wonderful times at Buckeye Lake. I now live in GC but was raised on the north side of Columbus and in Reynoldsburg. So call me a Grovetucky transplant if you want. My memories are of my grandparents, Mom and Dad and our entire huge family renting cottages there as we grew up. Grade school picnics, boat rides, ice cream cones, dates, the old wooden roller coaster, etc. etc. My mom told us about her many happy times dancing the night away at the Dance Hall there.
Yes, the lake has always been muddy. I learned to water ski on that lake and when I lost my skis, I fell in and stepped in thick mud. It surely didn't kill me, my kids or grandkids who have all been out there and who learned to ski, fish and relax at the lake.
Thanks to the Dispatch for printing this article. What priceless memories. We have a host of lifetime friends who own lovely homes there and not one of them is a Grovetucky transplant. But, make fun if you wish. Our family has treasured memories there. Yes, we could not afford to take our children to Hilton Head, The Keys or anywhere so exclusive while they were growing up. However, now they all are able to have luxurious vacations and they take them, but not one of them regrets the family memories on Buckeye Lake. Our nieces and nephews feel the same way.
lake guy

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

Judged:

NutCaseLies wrote:
Lol, I have lived here almost all my life and can say that even though its not upper arlington, its home, and people around here treat others as they would want to be treated. The lake may not be perfect, but watching the sunset on a nice cool night, relaxing by the lake, is something that I can enjoy while you get to look out your window and watch the drug dealers and gang bangers running the streets. How about you stay your in-bred a$$ at home, we dont want your kind here.
mike

Lakeview, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

Judged:

indian lake is the scene that you make much better.

Since: Jun 10

Canal Winchester, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

Judged:

Figure out why you don't have the algae and other problems the other lakes have. Make sure you stay that way. Some "interests" are not interested in your welfare.
Im just sayin

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

Judged:

Strangers parking in your yard,motorcycles roaring by at all hours with the sound amped by the narrow street,snooty people trying not to get their asses kicked by good old boy drunks that the bars won't stop serving,drunks hitting your mailbox once a year,collecting beer bottles from your yard every weekend,neighbors not cutting the grass because its only a weekend cottage,run down properties,sewage systems discharging into the lake,alge blooms,no dredging,diseased fish,idiot speed demon boaters,drunk boaters,terrible water,electric,and sewer service,little non-corrupt government services,non existant police,stumps and rocks.Dispatch didn't mention the whore houses in the village of Buckeye Lake drew thousands of visitors and was the main attraction before the amusement park opened.That bar owners sell drugs and the lake now floods once a year on average.Yeah this lake has charm.
Week end retreater

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

Judged:

We love the lake for it's convenience to Columbus and quick change of scenery. I can look out over the water and see the sunset over new england-ish new homes and cottages alike- Buckeye Lake is a truly eclectic place with scores of tiny neighborhoods each with their own unique flavor & a great mix of people!
mr know it all

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

Judged:

Im just sayin wrote:
Strangers parking in your yard,motorcycles roaring by at all hours with the sound amped by the narrow street,snooty people trying not to get their asses kicked by good old boy drunks that the bars won't stop serving,drunks hitting your mailbox once a year,collecting beer bottles from your yard every weekend,neighbors not cutting the grass because its only a weekend cottage,run down properties,sewage systems discharging into the lake,alge blooms,no dredging,diseased fish,idiot speed demon boaters,drunk boaters,terrible water,electric,and sewer service,little non-corrupt government services,non existant police,stumps and rocks.Dispatch didn't mention the **** houses in the village of Buckeye Lake drew thousands of visitors and was the main attraction before the amusement park opened.That bar owners sell drugs and the lake now floods once a year on average.Yeah this lake has charm.
Well you must not have been there in the last 10 years or so because everything is cleaning up, and yes they do dredge all the time, and no it does not flood anymore due to the dredging, city water is now installed at almost 90% of the houses, the village has updated the homes, and tore down the ones that needed it, new business are opening all the time. Get a life and stop bashing something you know nothing about.
Im just sayin

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

Judged:

mr know it all wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you must not have been there in the last 10 years or so because everything is cleaning up, and yes they do dredge all the time, and no it does not flood anymore due to the dredging, city water is now installed at almost 90% of the houses, the village has updated the homes, and tore down the ones that needed it, new business are opening all the time. Get a life and stop bashing something you know nothing about.
Ben here since 1973 you butthead.
mr know it all

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

Judged:

Im just sayin wrote:
<quoted text>Ben here since 1973 you butthead.
LOL, been a long time since I was called a buthead.

I have been here since aroun 1990 and yes it was rough then, and did get a little worse over the years, but if you live here then you should agree that people are fixing thing now more than ever, more business are coming up, and the bars are getting cleaner. Yes there was a problem with one bar on the lake, but those people are gone now and it is alot safer, the lake is getting cleaner, and deeper. Although in some areas it is only about 5 feet deep.
casper09

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

Judged:

"I'm just sayin" If the lake is THAT bad--why are you still here???????
Im just sayin

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

Judged:

casper09 wrote:
"I'm just sayin" If the lake is THAT bad--why are you still here???????
My little world has one big thing going for it.No violence.
winkie

Delaware, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

Judged:

I have fond memories of Buckeye Lake and many parties, friends and relatives there. The sight of swans in the evening, large groups of geese and terns is imbedded in my memories. The article was so right everyone says hi when you take a walk down the toepath. I hope it never changes but keeps on because the sunrises and sunsets are truly great at the lake.
cant spell

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

Judged:

Buckeye Ocean?
casper09

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

Judged:

Im just sayin wrote:
<quoted text>My little world has one big thing going for it.No violence.

You live on the moon?????????
tried it

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

The problem with Buckeye Lake is you can't afford all the repairs on your bent props. We kept our 23-footer there two summers ago. Took it out a few times. Were really careful. Bent our prop twice. Could not afford to keep boating there. Since the lake is so small and shallow you'd think people would mark the hazards. I don't understand how people can afford the repairs.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

Judged:

I have some fond memories of growing up on the lake. My only issue with the area is the Natural Resources Rangers. I fish with a friend I've known since grade school at Mud Island, Millersport and the north shore. My fishing license has been checked by the same officers every weekend I have been fishing. I wonder if they are retarded. We will start fishing from shore Friday evening and quit late Saturday or early Sunday morning. The same officers check our licenses sometimes twice a shift even though we have not moved from that spot for 24 to 48 hours. Do they have nothing better to do than harass fishermen? I've seen boats go by at top speed after dark, yet these worthless officers sit in their vehicles and check people fishing from the shore many times. Do they really think that someone would unload all their gear and start fishing with these losers sitting right there if they didn't have a license? The people who fish there know these jokers are going to be around two to three times per shift. LEAVE PEOPLE ALONE unless there is an issue or a disturbance. Personally I think these rangers should be given random intelligence, alcohol and drug tests.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Boating Discussions

Search the Boating Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Man drowns during boating accident Aug 6 Concerned 1
Man hurt in Lake Mahopac boating accident remai... (Jul '09) Aug 2 james hosford 11
Keeping safe on the water Aug 2 is Credit river c... 1
Iowa man drowns in Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks Jun '14 really 7
Charged sailing coach taught in Hamilton May '14 string him up 1
Uber brings water taxis to Muskoka for Victoria... May '14 Eric 1
3 Injured In Catalina Boating Accident (Jan '14) Feb '14 cdcypress 9
•••
•••
•••