Invasive lake weed confirmed in Carlt...

Invasive lake weed confirmed in Carlton County

There are 3 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Sep 29, 2009, titled Invasive lake weed confirmed in Carlton County. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Eurasian watermilfoil, a foreign plant that is spreading across Minnesota lakes, has been confirmed in Chub Lake in Carlton County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

“it takes a lot to laugh...”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#1 Sep 29, 2009
Clean your boats after you leave the waters, best way to prevent this from spreading.
Tom H

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Sep 29, 2009
MN DNR is way too conservative on addressing weed problems in this state. While cleaning boats may slow down the spread it is clearly not the answer. If boats are the only problem why do so many ponds that have never seen a boat have many invasive species. At this same time the DNR continues to place tighter and tighter restrictions on the % of acres that can be treated for these invasive plants. The MN DNR has spent thousands of dollars researching these problems but their actions and policies are in direct contradictions to their findings. I believe we are at a pivotal point at maintaining and improving water quality in our state and the DNR's conservative/no action policy is only serving to make matters worse. It is time for the DNR to step up to the plate and to start promoting the reduction of invasive species in this state's most precious natural resource.
Taxpayer

Brainerd, MN

#3 Oct 2, 2009
Tom H,

I couldn't agree more. I've heard of lake associations being told they can only treat 10% of the lake each season. How on earth is that supposed to eradicate a weed? By the time the last 10% gets re-treated the milfoil is back in the original 10%.

I would think that complete eradication of all areas infested is the only way to rid a lake and the sooner it starts after discovery the better. Even if it means complete eradication of all plants exotic and native followed by replanting of natives that is better than following the current ineffective too little strategy. Native plants can always be re-established after the milfoil is gone. The DNR needs to start thinking long term.

I've heard the same kind of do nothing approach when it comes to carp and bullhead eradication. The DNR won't allow the temporary disturbance of shallow lakes that are already disturbed continuously by carp and bullheads because it might temporarily disturb the wetland. I have a cost effective method of killing carp and bullhead without the addition of any chemicals but I'm not even going to bother trying to get permission from the DNR because it's a waste of my time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boating Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Upgrade provides better access to lake Aug 4 Water 1
News Tragedy strikes family members of Leasure (Jul '08) Jun '17 Evidence phart 9
News Who is James Jett? (Sep '08) May '17 anonymous 76
News GRDA Leaving Lake Levels Higher Through Labor D... (Sep '16) Feb '17 Lift 2
News Missing Woman's Family Seeks Answers, Launch Se... (Jul '10) Dec '16 King 112
News Boat repossession binge: Fort Lauderdale compan... (Apr '09) Aug '16 Steverino 69
Diversity is White Genocide (Jul '16) Jul '16 6978hkrjh 1
More from around the web