Brianna's Law would require boating courses -

Full story: Newsday

It's a battle that started when Brianna Lieneck's family buried her after a fatal boating accident in Great South Bay.
Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated Sep 17, 2012
unclem

Jackson, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2007

It's the stupid boat owners that need the boating
course.
I have owned a boat all my life, and i see people
do stupid things all the time on the water.
My # 1 beef is--lack of respect for outher boaters.
a friends of breezy

New Hyde Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2007

we lost brianna in a tragic acciden and i miss her ery much so we had started a sofball team in remembrance of her. We all miss her dearly and even though i am 14 i take a very srong opinion to this topic and it should be actiated
i love you brianna<333333
Fetcher

Edison, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2007

This was a tragic accident, so the first thing done was an arrest of the pilot of the right-of-way boat, who was not impaired. Then, a never ending fight to add regulations and red tape to punish those of us who have never been in a boat accident. The blame and guilt belong to the skipper of the victim's boat. God preserve Brianna's memory, but not in a half-baked lame-brained law.
jim

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2007

the irony is her parents were the cause of the accident as the other boat had the right of way
Cannibal Lecter

Farmingville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2007

If you can drive a car, you can drive a boat...why do we need classes on boat safety?
boat owner

Seaford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2007

i feel education for all boat operators should be the minimum required. Getting licensed makes more sense to me. You need one for a car, why not a boat.
at least with a car, you have brakes and yellow and white lines to follow in the road. These "novice" boaters think there are no rules on the water.
although, if training and licenses are required, I would miss seeing the "newbies" hit the sand bars and the dock.
boater

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2007

Fetcher and Jim

Unless you were on the boat that night you should shut your mouth because you have know idea what you are talking about and what acually happened. Bottom line is a child was killed and just because you have not been in accident before does not mean tragedy cant strike you and make you eat your words. Boater education can only help I dont understand why any would be against it. You wouldnt let someone get in a car with any experience same should go for boating.
Commuter

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2007

Cannibal Lecter wrote:
If you can drive a car, you can drive a boat...why do we need classes on boat safety?
Because we have idiots who take boats out on the water who do not know the rules. Same idiots who fish in the middle of channels. At a minimum, everyone should take the safe boaters class. At least then they canít claim ignorance when they didnít give way to a vessel who had the right of way. Unless everyone takes the class it does not matter. Youíre still not safe on the water. I support endorsements to your driverís licenses for boating. Get trained just like you would when you drive. Road test for boats. You can't fly a plane without a license. You can't drive a motorcycle without it either. Why should boating be any different. It is a motor vehicle.
tman

Greenwich, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2007

FLETCHER AND JIM YOU TWO GUYS HAVE TO BE THE TWO BIGGEST JERKOFFS I HAVE EVER SEEN YOU MUST BE FRIENDS WITH THE MORONS WHO MURDERED THAT LITTLE GIRL. THEY WERE DRINKING AT A FEDERALLY FUNDED PICNIC THEY ADMITTED TO IT. THEY WERE IN A HURRY TO GET HOME AND OVER TOOK THE OTHER BOAT. IF YOU CAN AS A HUMAN BEING CAN BLAME THE PARENTS FOR THIS YOU SHOULD GO KILL YOURSELFS AND MAKE THIS WORLD A BETTER AND SAFER PLACE FOR US AND OUR CHILDREN
j merrick

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2007

lawmakers always seem to have the knack of turning tragedy into revenue ie:licensing fees
A friend

Holtsville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2007

To Fletcher and Jim,you guys have to be the two biggest morons I have ever read.All of sudden you are certified to give the results of what happened that night.Were you there idiots, did you see what happened. Did you see a 12 yr old girl lose her life, do me afavor keep you stupid comments to yourselves. This tragedy, was brought on by negligence, drinking and not paying attention from 3 guys who know what they did.This has been the biggest coverup since the Kennedy assination, everything being swept under the rug. the fact remains we know what they did and they know know what they did and one day they will be judged so be it. Now you jerkoffs go back to your bungelow in Patchogue.
A friend

Holtsville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2007

By the way Lechter, you must be friends with those other two morons. Your quote was why do we need boating classes if we have a drivers liscence. Great quote where did you go to school Patchogue-Medford. Just because I have a liscense can I drive an 18 wheeler, no, a boat is a completly different type of equipment, I suppose you can go to the airport and fly a plane. In fact why dont you and crash it into the ocean......
Jinglebill of Maryland

Annapolis, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2007

Stop the vitriolic comments. Maryland has had a boating education requirement for years. It works! It requires that all powerboaters born on or after 1 July 1972 be in possession of a Certificiate of Boating Safety Education which is obtained by passing a DNR approved course (normally 8 hours of instruction with a final exam). It covers basics including rules of the road and equipment requirements and other common sense subjects. This is not an onerous requirement; it can be completed in two four hour Saturday morning sessions. It was phased in with old timer being grandfathered and now all that are 36 years or younger are in the pool who have taken the course.
lol

Pascagoula, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2007

Cannibal Lecter wrote:
Good point. Obviously you have never driven anywhere on Long Island in the last ten years.
Danyelle Lieneck

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2012

This makes me laugh even 5 years after these posts were made. You honestly all have no idea what you are talking about. My father happen to not be at fault and we were hit from behind from a boat that was going excessively fast and could not see us. Regardless of what the news says and the BAC test that was administer 6 hours after the accident happen the driver was drunk. He smelled of alcohol and he got away with it because Suffolk county police department screwed up; whom I would like to mention did not even have jurisdiction on this case it was the Coast Guard who should have been in control of the accident. I would also like to add the driver of the other boat called in the wrong coordinates and did nothing to help my family and I when three out of the five people on the boat where completely delusional and injured. Before you go pointing fingers Fetcher maybe you should know all the details of the accident. I would also like to point out my father had taken boating classes and actually had his license. I am pretty sure you need a drivers license to drive a car and I am positive you should have a boating license to drive a boat. So all of you whom think it was our fault please feel free to come see the precedents of the case so you can all shut up thank you.
theresa

Brentwood, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

You tell them Danyelle. If they were going the speed limit it would not have been the tradgedy it was. Your statements are EXACTLY why they need this law passed for anyone who enjoys boating on the Great South Bay. It is NOTHING like driving a car. I hope neither of you will (fetcher & jim) ever have to eat your words. If there was the mandatory boating license/certificate maybe 3 other young children wouldn't have died in the July 4th accident as they would have known about boat capacity. These laws will benefit everyone.... God Bless the Lienecks for trying to help other people so noone has to go through what they did.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••