Deadly boat accident, Richmond woman killed in deadly boating accid...

Full story: WTVR

One person is dead and nine others had to be rescued after a boating accident in the Rappahannock River Monday evening.
Comments
21 - 40 of 124 Comments Last updated Aug 19, 2010
Irish

Glen Allen, VA

#22 Jul 6, 2010
Let's see if his fellow firefighters target him, his wife and children for some Southern Christian Justice!!!! They can target him and his family to make them feel stalked, harassed, and emotionally abused. They can keep it up for 5 years because it is so entertaining. Then when his kids have suffered enough, they can do it again. Love the distracting looks from your wives while I am driving. Would love to know what church you attend so I too can become judgmental and saved!!!
Classmate

Dayton, OH

#23 Jul 6, 2010
Ok, so we can't be positive that this man was drinking until we hear the results of the blood test, and even then we won't be too sure about the actual bac because it may have been taken hours after the crash, but we can be sure that Amanda is gone. Now, I feel sorry for the Nixon family, and everyone that has or will be involved with this incident, but to not put some sort of blame on the boat's driver seems absurd to me. I'm a Christian. I do believe in forgiveness, but nothing will change the fact that Amanda is dead. If it were me in Steve Nixon's position, I would stand up and take responsibility for what I did. But that's just me. Amanda was a sweet girl, and she comes from a good family. To say that we shouldn't focus on Steve is insane. This man is responsible for a death. Not to say that I don't care about the other victims because the children will have the toughest time dealing with this, but Amanda is the one that I am emotionally attached to. She has no more say. She can't come back and say, "oh, it was a total accident. I was in the boat on my own accord and knew this man had been drinking. Please don't judge him." She's dead. He crashed a boat into a marker that might be 3ft wide in a river that is 200 times the size of that. Come on. This is negligent behavior at it's best. Sorry, but I went to school with Amanda, and I'm saddened that she had to lose her life at such a young age. God bless everyone though, and especially the dead that died young.
Irish

Glen Allen, VA

#24 Jul 6, 2010
peninsula native wrote:
My heart and prayers goes out to all of them. Only GOD can judge.
Only God and the HCPD and HCFD!!!!! They are very good at it!!
Pam

Glen Allen, VA

#26 Jul 6, 2010
Hey Big Guy you are on the wrong thread! This thread is for Amanda!

Heartfelt Prayers for Amanda's family!!!!

She was a wonderful teacher!!!!
chesterfield

United States

#27 Jul 6, 2010
Mourning wrote:
Shove that beer up your **** jackass from Chesterfield. You don't know the whole story NOR did you probably know Amanda Brady. You do not know the whole story so don't go running your big mouth! As a former player for amanda brady I can say people like you disgust me.
Love you brady, and miss you more than words can say.
hey i never said anything about that poor girl that didnt make it.....im sure she was a great person. but the man shound been drinking at all
Midlothian Friend

Midlothian, VA

#28 Jul 6, 2010
First I have to say my thoughts and prayers are with this entire family. I am saddened by the loss of Amanda and my heart goes out to Patrick. Chris Carnes- you are a strong man and have an entire town and company behind you and praying for you. We love you very much!

To those you are saying rude things: Nothing has been proven yet so please don't say such harsh things. The families will one day read these posts and will not need to see such horrible words written about their family memebers.
Erica Perry

Midlothian, VA

#29 Jul 6, 2010
My thoughts and prayers are with Amanda Brady's friends and family. She was my son Austin's 5th grade teacher when he went to Longan Elementary school in the 2007-2008 school year. She was a WONDERFUL inspiration to Austin and all of her students. My son is heartbroken over her death. She made sure to keep in touch with Austin since he was in her class and that meant so much to him.
This just breaks my heart. She was a beautiful and wonderful person!
David Fleenor

Richmond, VA

#30 Jul 6, 2010
What do you get when you mix boats, booze & a bunch of mofos from Hanover together?

Answer: Headline
River Rat

Glen Allen, VA

#31 Jul 6, 2010
I was on the Rappahannock River for several beautiful nights this past weekend and passed by the "10" marker each night. It is beautiful at night but it can be very dangerous if you do not know the River. If anyone plans on being in the River at night, know the River, understand the channel markers, have a GPS, have high power spotlight and slow down. If you do this, you reduce the risks and may only hit a crab pot if you are unlucky.
Stupid people

Stafford, VA

#32 Jul 6, 2010
To all those commenting - Amanda was to be married on 7 August. For all you haters - like you "Big Antennae Guy" - get a life. Hug your children if you have them and be joyful that they're still alive rather than spending time writing ignorant comments.
Pam

Glen Allen, VA

#33 Jul 6, 2010
Don't play games while driving so my kids can stay alive!!!!!!

I know of Amanda from work, my prayers go out to her family and friends.
Lisa

Indianapolis, IN

#34 Jul 6, 2010
I am so very sorry to hear what happend last night to everyone involved. My son goes to school with Zack and through that I have known him as well as his parents for awhile. Truly they are great people.
I am praying for zack to be okay and sitting in 6th grade next year with all his friends and his handsome little smile..God Bless both families.
concerned

Heathsville, VA

#35 Jul 6, 2010
wht about the bartender tht was at the bar up the river...... she should know when to to cut people off...
Abby

Richmond, VA

#36 Jul 6, 2010
Big Antennae Guy wrote:
Hey the firefighters said we can harass people on the roads. So can the City of Richmond Employees, Lee Hy Paving, Verizon, Comcast Cable and just about everybody else. We all like trying to cause someone to get in a car accident. Sgt. Green of the HCPD told us to keep it up forever even though he knows he will probably go to HELL. We own the road. If anyone gets in our way, we will run them over.
When we run people over, we were told to ask for Officer Pridemoor who will say that the guy tried to ram our car from behind and then flew over our car and eluded us giving us the right to run him over or falsely arrest him.
This is such a fun game!!!!
I don't know your beef, but maybe you should take it elsewhere.
Lisa

Indianapolis, IN

#37 Jul 6, 2010
Not from Indiana Just visiting, but the news of someone you care about travels...Once again God Bless..You are great people, don't listen to other's noone should judge until they walk in your shoes..Praying for Zack to recover.
We love you Amanda

Glen Allen, VA

#38 Jul 6, 2010
I think it's awful how all of you are pointing the finger. First off...you didn't know Amanda personally. She was a beatiful person inside and out. And I KNOW she nor her extended family would have done anything to put the children in harms way. Instead of critiquing what happened, maybe you should all focus on your own lives and stop putting in your 2 cents towards a group of amazing people whom you've never had the privelege to meet.

To the family of the Brady's and the Nixons: You are all in our thoughts and prayers. We are behind you.

To Amanda: I love you. I can't imagine a world without you...a world without your smile and your loving personality. You've taught me so much on the softball field and off...and for you playing a part in my life I will forever be greatful and will always carry a part of you with me. never forget Brady. <3
rivah gal

Barnesville, OH

#39 Jul 6, 2010
These incidents ARE the reasons we HAVE to take the boating safety coarses now and it clearly states that the captain of any boat is responsible for all on the board.(btw- was over the capacity limit)We all take things for granted and simple mistakes can happen when we dont follow rules. Drinking does cause accidents and I hurt for the families (all of them) because the losses/ pain will not go away quickly. And the fears those children will have for a lifetime I can only hope they overcome them and LEARN what not to do! My prayers are with everyone!!
Graham of Beaverdam

Hazleton, PA

#40 Jul 6, 2010
If alcohol is involved, he the captain/pilot will most likely be charged with manslaughter, possibly involuntary manslaughter. This is a horrible unnecessary tragedy that needs not to be repeated. Forget the partying and alcohol. Why should anyone overload a tiny puny boat with so many people, let alone children and ferry them around in the dark on the wide Rappahanock River on a holiday weekend night. Senseless, ignorant and stupid. This individual was the captain of the City of Richmond fire department. Arrogance and stupidity all wrapped up in one senseless tragedy.
Who Cares

Hopewell, VA

#41 Jul 6, 2010
She shoulda Sailed herass back to England!
Abby

Glen Allen, VA

#42 Jul 6, 2010
I care Mr. Who Cares! I am a female firefighter and therefore I am able to judge others and think better of myself than I really am.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boating Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man drowns during boating accident Aug 6 Concerned 1
Man hurt in Lake Mahopac boating accident remai... (Jul '09) Aug 2 james hosford 11
Keeping safe on the water Aug 2 is Credit river c... 1
Iowa man drowns in Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks Jun '14 really 7
Charged sailing coach taught in Hamilton May '14 string him up 1
Uber brings water taxis to Muskoka for Victoria... May '14 Eric 1
3 Injured In Catalina Boating Accident (Jan '14) Feb '14 cdcypress 9
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Boating People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••