Deadly boat accident, Richmond woman killed in deadly boating accid...

Full story: WTVR

One person is dead and nine others had to be rescued after a boating accident in the Rappahannock River Monday evening.
Comments
1 - 20 of 124 Comments Last updated Aug 19, 2010
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Russell Van Felvey

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

Judged:

It sure was a beautiful day on the Rappahannock as I was fishing out of Waterview.I was more fortunate than those folks, my engine just broke down and I required a tow back to the ramp.Boating at night is a whole different ballgame than daytime boating,both can be dangerous,especially when too much alcohol is a factor.
Abby

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

Judged:

How could someone be this negligent? My gosh, the boat was loaded to the gills with children. Who in the world would be out on the water at 10pm nowadays. There's way too much drinking on our waterways. I don't even like boating on holidays anymore and would definitely not boat at night.
ERT

Upper Marlboro, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

Judged:

There is no need to call the man a jackass. He will suffer the consequences for the rest of his life. I mourn the loss of Amanda, a hometown friend, and I also feel very, very sad for the one responsible as a lifetime of suffering is ahead of him.
Abby

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

Judged:

I agree...the poor man has years ahead to suffer. God bless everyone involved. It's very sad something so fun could end up being such a nightmare. My condolences to the family of Amanda.
Mon

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

Judged:

My prayers and heart go out to the Nixon family.
Skippy

Midlothian, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

Judged:

They didn't say that Captain Nixon was drinking. So don't point that finger just yet.
Dont judge People

Warsaw, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

Judged:

It's so sad to think that when we were all in bed last night asleep. That these kids were out there in the water .... cold, in pain, and surrfering! From 10:00pm to 3:00AM they were out there scared and lost! They should have been home in bed. It is a horrible tragedy and as they said the man will suffer enough. He made a bad judgement call! He will pay mentally for what happen which i know is much worst then anything else! My prayers are with these people and there familys.
One Love

Chesterfield, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

Judged:

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones....They will meet their maker one day and will have to answer to a high power besides those who judge in this life.....

My hearts go out to the family of Amanda and to each person who was on that boat. They will forever feel pain and heartbreak over this regardless of the roll they played.....

How about those of you judging and pointing fingers do something useful with your time...

Say a prayer for them and for the families…..
Mom22

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

Judged:

What a tragic loss. Ms.Brady was a 5th grade teacher at Longan Elementary School. She was one of a kind. She loved those kids, pushed them hard and saw the best in every one of them. At 25 she had already touched so many lives, a tragedy.
Sarah

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

Judged:

I live in Water View and watched the response to the accident not knowing the tragedy that was unfolding a few minutes from my home. I woke up anxious to find out what happened. My heart has been breaking all day as I have read the accounts of the accident. My heart and prayers are with the Nixon and Brady families. God Bless you in this time of need.
Mourning

Glen Allen, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

Judged:

Shove that beer up your ass jackass from Chesterfield. You don't know the whole story NOR did you probably know Amanda Brady. You do not know the whole story so don't go running your big mouth! As a former player for amanda brady I can say people like you disgust me.
Love you brady, and miss you more than words can say.
Beth

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

Judged:

We will miss you Miss Brady, We love you and we are praying for your family and those that would have been your inlaws. God has you now and heaven has gained a beautiful spirit, a wonderful person.

To all those who are negative about this incident ask yourself are you perfect and have you done no wrong in your life and can you look back and say wow I wish I wouldn't have done that or wow I could have hurt someone by my actions.
targeted

Glen Allen, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

Judged:

Wow! Those firefighters are lucky to have each other and to have such support.

I wonder if they would like it if I got everyone in Henrico to follow the Captain and his family around to harass them and publicly humiliate and degrade them for what they have done.

It wouldn't be very Christian now would it???
Crystal Powell

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

I'm so sorry to hear of this, I know a couple of the kids that were on this boat and it is just so sad to hear they are hurt. My prayers go out to all the families that were involved and hope everyone make a full recovery.
God Bless,
Crystal P
dolphin

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

Judged:

chesterfield should shut their pie hole.all information is not in yet.of all the comments that i have read,only two of you think that you are above all!i think that beth of va.beach has the attitude that we should follow.i have been on the water almost of my life and anything can happen on an instant.lets wait for the final investigation before any,anyone can pass judgement.I feel for all of the suvivors!
local fire hero

Glen Allen, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

Judged:

Drinking while driving a boat is not a good idea.
peninsula native

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

Judged:

My heart and prayers goes out to all of them. Only GOD can judge.
Family of the Children

Solon, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

Judged:

I think that peoples focus should be on the injured and not focusing on Steve. Yes what he did was a tragedy but right now my focus is on my little cousin who is critical. Let our thoughts and energy be on that and the Brady Family, whom my heart goes out to!
chesterfield

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

Judged:

dolphin wrote:
chesterfield should shut their pie hole.all information is not in yet.of all the comments that i have read,only two of you think that you are above all!i think that beth of va.beach has the attitude that we should follow.i have been on the water almost of my life and anything can happen on an instant.lets wait for the final investigation before any,anyone can pass judgement.I feel for all of the suvivors!
i also grew up on the water.....right at my front door!!! i know things happen very quick out there, I also have a friend that know this man driving and he was drinking at the time!!!!
river neighbor

Portsmouth, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

Judged:

I first met Steve, his brother and Amanda last weekend when my boat broke down and I required a tow to the dock. They seemed like very nice people. Steve and his family rented the home 5 doors down the beach road from the home my parents rent on the Rappahannock. Last night I went to bed about 11:00pm and heard a lot on noise out on the river and commented to my family this morning about aircraft flying over the house last night wondering what was going on. I found out the reason later this morning and am very saddened by this news. I pray the physical injuries will heal for those that survived. I doubt the emotional injuries can be healed at all. If alcohol was involved I am sure Steve will have not only have to with the emotional scars of this for the rest of his life but also be paying a high legal penalty as well. There really is no excuse for putting other at risk especially those children.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Boating Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man drowns during boating accident Aug 6 Concerned 1
Man hurt in Lake Mahopac boating accident remai... (Jul '09) Aug 2 james hosford 11
Keeping safe on the water Aug 2 is Credit river c... 1
Iowa man drowns in Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks Jun '14 really 7
Charged sailing coach taught in Hamilton May '14 string him up 1
Uber brings water taxis to Muskoka for Victoria... May '14 Eric 1
3 Injured In Catalina Boating Accident (Jan '14) Feb '14 cdcypress 9

Search the Boating Forum:
•••
•••