ODNR Cracking Down On Drunken Boating | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News

Full story: 10TV WBNS

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources plans to step up patrols to keep boaters safe over the holiday weekend.
Comments
1 - 20 of 27 Comments Last updated Jul 5, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lei

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2010

Judged:

Good.
frank stallone

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2010

Judged:

that's why i use coke when i'm boating.
Bob

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2010

Judged:

I'm selling my boat this is silly. A few light weights ruin it for the rest of us.
JRBFOP

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2010

Judged:

FYI you misidentified the Officer Cox as a Wildlife Officer rather than a Watercraft Officer.
DISAPPOINTED

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2010

Judged:

ODNR needs to confiscate the boats, sell them, and use the profits to fund alcohol and boating awareness classes for those caught with alcohol on their boats. If a boater has to buy a new boat they MIGHT think twice the next time.
common sense

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2010

Judged:

1.5 hours west of columbus is 14000 acres of open water...toxic open water. ODNR is focused on 11 boaters having a few pops instead of 14000 acres of water they have turned their backs on. Shame on you ODNR.

ODNR, asleep (or maybe drunk themselves) at the helm.
Mike

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

Hey common sense, nobody is going to die by a drunken boater on this 14000 acres of water. So lets work on keeping stupid boaters alive, and odnr can figure out what to do with the 14000 acres of water later.
Defender

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

Judged:

DISAPPOINTED wrote:
ODNR needs to confiscate the boats, sell them, and use the profits to fund alcohol and boating awareness classes for those caught with alcohol on their boats. If a boater has to buy a new boat they MIGHT think twice the next time.
Read your O.V.I laws before you make comments like this, boats and cars have to go through certain steps before they can be taken. You just can't seize sombodys property because you want to! The O.V.I section is Ohio Revised Code 4511.19 and it is about 21 pages long.

Since: Dec 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

I go boating every weekend on a large private lake that allows alcohol.There has never been a fatal boat accident or even a wreck.We have security that patrols the lake all day.I live 1000 yards from alum and will not go there between memorial day and labor day because of all the idiots!Hard to believe that having a few beers and fishing is illegal! Only in Ohio!
Jon H

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

Judged:

the driver's should be sober, leave the other people alone!!
hey

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

common sense wrote:
1.5 hours west of columbus is 14000 acres of open water...toxic open water. ODNR is focused on 11 boaters having a few pops instead of 14000 acres of water they have turned their backs on. Shame on you ODNR.
What water are you talking about? Grand Lakes?
CJB43302

Bellefontaine, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

common sense wrote:

I'm pretty sure they will have Officers out on St. Marys as well. Seems how this is central Ohio and Channel 10 covers this area they are focusing on the lakes we have here.

Kentucky Kid: Your ignorance is exactly what they are looking for out there. You must be a little bitter because you have been arrested by them before! If you don't like the rules then I'm pretty sure it's not gonna hurt their feelings if you stay home this weekend!

I have been ticketed once before by one of the Watercraft Officers at Delaware State Park. Even though I screwed up and I deserved the ticket, the Officer was nothing short of professional. I appreciate everything they do to keep my family safe out on the water! Do I wish I could drink a beer while fishing, yes. Laws are Laws for a reason, because most people cant do it and be responsible about it so they create a law to prohibit it.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

Twin 150's HA!!! childs play, I got twin blown 500's try me ODNR!!!! lol JK...
FRED

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

ODNR officers or Police officers?
Can they inforce the laws.
Just asking.
Jon H

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

Judged:

FRED wrote:
ODNR officers or Police officers?
Can they inforce the laws.
Just asking.
ODNR doesn't enforce anything, they cite you and turn it over to a judge. Who will more than likely break one off in you.
Bodie

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

Judged:

Alum Creek where more beer is consumed then all over the rest of Central Ohio in the summer should keep them very busy.
drinker

Whitehouse, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

Judged:

i'm drinking and boating all weekend on buckeye lake. they can't stop everyone.
Chung Lee

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

JRBFOP wrote:
FYI you misidentified the Officer Cox as a Wildlife Officer rather than a Watercraft Officer.
Chung Lee think that after hearing office Cox interview, perhap officer Cox wish she had a cox.Verly manly she is.
buckeye boater

Lancaster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

90% of the boats out there are drinking. they pretty much go hand and hand. from my runins with the ODNR on buckeye they had been very professional and understanding. we always use cups and dont have and cans showing and dont get WAISTED and youll be ok. I was at the lake last weekend and had ODNR by our boat twice and we never had a problem. I have a pontoon and we just like to hang out and and relax and swim and have some drinks. The main problem is the drunken speed boats, skiers/tubers, and jet skis.
Retired Ohioan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

Good for ODNR, If some inconsiderate idoit wants to drink and boat and endanger the lives of others. Fine I hope if caught they get the book thrown at them. Alum creek or the other lakes were not built only the partying crowd, but for everybody to safetly enjoy. If you drinkers need to drink that bad do it at home. Safe lives and the State money by not haveing to proscute you. If you live in Columbus and think Alum Creek is just for partying go south and find a lake Delaware County doesn't need you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••