These might be the 'good old days'

Full story: TwinCities.com

Skeptical? Don't be. For the next three days, the Pioneer Press will examine dozens of measures of health and public safety, from homicides to traffic accidents to smoking-related illnesses.
Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated May 30, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Steve

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
May 30, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

During the late 1960's and early 1970's I worked as a flight instructor at Crystal airport near Minneapolis. The airport, at that time, was a beehive of activity during nice spring days. Drive by the airport now, and occasionally, you will see one aircraft in the traffic pattern.

Perhaps the lessor number of fatal incidents is due to markedly less activity.
Kalley

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
May 30, 2010
 

Judged:

5

4

2

Hows about telling evrybody the truth, Minnesota is a magnet state for welfare with big generous benifets given away by liberal polititions who care only about getting re-elected.
Reader

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
May 30, 2010
 

Judged:

3

This is a top story? It is boring and poorly written.

Slow news day PP?
Observer

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
May 30, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Just don't go into N. Mpls. We are lucky for one reason only and it has NOTHING to do with anything man made, indeed the DFL has been doing it's best to wreck this state. We have horrible cold winters and that serves as a strong incentive to keep the riff-raff out.
AntiLowLife

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
May 30, 2010
 

Judged:

6

3

3

The Pravda Press tries to paint a pretty picture. Isn't that cute. It's a bunch of garbage. It's like telling the train riders on the way to Auschwitz that the scenery is so beautiful. This country is on it's way out unless we make some SERIOUS noise.
LiberalElitist

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
May 30, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

1

Good old days? Not with Pawlenty the Obstructionist in charge.... Roads are crumbling, bridges are falling, state cash flow is faked on the backs of schools, but yeah it must be great.
LiberalElitist

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
May 30, 2010
 

Judged:

4

4

3

The reasons why Minnesota is a great state are due to those crazy Liberals. The ones who value education and culture. After all that's why we have so many businesses for being a mid-size state... you don't see Fortune 500s located in Mississippi. Nope, down there it's just a bunch of mouthbreathers.
John

Glen Ellyn, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
May 30, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Kalley wrote:
Hows about telling evrybody the truth, Minnesota is a magnet state for welfare with big generous benifets given away by liberal polititions who care only about getting re-elected.
Don't forget the hundreds of millions extracted from taxpayers and given to the Pohlad family.

Or the blantant theft of a Senate seat by Al Franken.

Or the millions spent on antiquated trains when the money could have be spent on more efficient and flexible buses.

Perhaps ignorance IS bliss.
Bob the Bilderberg

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
May 30, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Why do I get the feeling that this is all leading up to "and if we cut any more government spending we'll be jeopardizing our health and safety!"
Bob the Bilderberg

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
May 30, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

1

LiberalElitist wrote:
The reasons why Minnesota is a great state are due to those crazy Liberals. The ones who value education and culture. After all that's why we have so many businesses for being a mid-size state... you don't see Fortune 500s located in Mississippi. Nope, down there it's just a bunch of mouthbreathers.
Well that's a good point. They should do a story about all the Fortune 500 companies that have left Minnesota and the number of jobs they've taken with them, and emphasing all those companies that were started by native Minnesotans and even THEY couldn't be convinced to stay.

Then do a story about all the Fortune 500 companies that moved here from somewhere else. Oh wait ... there aren't any.
LiberalElitist

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
May 30, 2010
 

Judged:

5

5

4

John not sure if you knew this, but light rail is much more efficient than buses. Light rail moves many many many times more people per operator than buses, and drivers/operators are Metro Transit's largest marginal expense. Their second largest operating expense is fuel, and buses are more efficient that way too. They are also fuel-agnostic, since they are powered by the grid. We build more nuclear stations? Well then that's how trains are powered. Diesel buses are stuck consuming diesel (or biodiesel, but there's not enough supply).

Secondly, you say that buses are more flexible than trains, and I'm assuming you see that as a positive. Well, it's not when it comes to transit planning. Flexibility just means it's easy to cut service. It also means it's easy to reroute away from where someone might live or start a business. Know why there are so many new condo buildings along University and Hiawatha? Because people know that a train will take them home at all hours of the day for the foreseeable future.
LiberalElitist

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
May 30, 2010
 

Judged:

4

4

3

Also with regard to Fortune 500 companies, I can think of a few we've lost off the top of my head:

- Honeywell (bought out by New Jersey's Allied Signal)
- Northwest (bought out by Atlanta-based Delta)
- Wells Fargo (Norwest acquisition, took Wells name and S.F. HQ, but still has more corporate employees in Minneapolis than in the Bay Area).

In the past 30 years, the Twin Cities area has grown from 1.7 million workers to 2.6 million workers, and the Twin Cities has one of the highest proportions of white-coller knowledge workers.

In the same time, we've had many of our homegrown companies enter the Fortune 500 either organically, or because a merged company decided MN was a great place to be based. Think Best Buy, DH/Target, Medtronic, etc.

So while the high taxes may be a talking point, empirical evidence suggests otherwise.
El Rushbo Fan

Rochester, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
May 30, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Hey LiberalElitist, don't give us any of that liberal elite empirical evidence. Us Rush dittoheads know that anything empirical or factual or just reality in general has no place in our thought process. We listen to Rush, that's how come we know what the truth is. Just look at the how your post was judged. Offer up the facts, and you're judged "nuts". Tell us the gulf oil spill is a disaster, and Rush tells it like it is, and explains that oil is as natural as water, so no worries. That should tell you something, shouldn't it?
LiberalElitist

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
May 30, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Oh so I see the popular thing for the Pioneer Press-reading crowd is to mark the most well-reasoned, evidence-based and germane comments as "Nuts" and "Clueless." I pity America.
LiberalElitist

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
May 30, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Oh- UnitedHealth Group - chalk that up to one more Fortune 500 bred by educated Minnesotans during the last 30 years, not by some low-tax state.
Rush puppets

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
May 30, 2010
 
LiberalElitist wrote:
Oh so I see the popular thing for the Pioneer Press-reading crowd is to mark the most well-reasoned, evidence-based and germane comments as "Nuts" and "Clueless." I pity America.
In case you are unaware, these forums are populated mostly by uneducated right wing tax evasion Rush puppets. They buy the god guns and taxes propaganda, while the corporate run GOP picks their pockets for the benefit of the wealthy. Then they try to blame all the problems on the poor and middle class. To see the real problem they need to look at executive compensation vs wages over the last 30 years. I don't think any of them are bright enough to figure it out.
Abbo

Camp, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
May 30, 2010
 
Too bad the writer didn't make it clear that the series is about safety and health. Coulda put something right at the top, like "Over the next three days, we'll look at the statistics that show that in many ways, Minnesotans are safer and healthier than ever" so that only a fool could make the mistake of thinking this was an invitation to cry and moan about anything and everything.

Should be interesting to read over the next few days about health and safety in Minnesota ...
jannet

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
May 30, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Are you kidding,that's the way liberals see things.The economy is gone straight down the tube and record numbers of people in MN are out of work.

Get a clue.
More Taxation Please

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
May 30, 2010
 
Observer wrote:
Just don't go into N. Mpls. We are lucky for one reason only and it has NOTHING to do with anything man made, indeed the DFL has been doing it's best to wreck this state. We have horrible cold winters and that serves as a strong incentive to keep the riff-raff out.
The article doesn't acknowledge that maybe there are fewer deaths going on because people just aren't going out as much as they used to. When your neighborhood or cities are slowly in transition, people don't go out as much. Businesses fleeing the region, no jobs, no economic growth, smoking bans, barren creepy downtowns in between events, high parking fees not worth the trouble,etc. causes vacancy and no activity. Of course there are fewer deaths when everyone is inside. MN is becoming like a North Korea where everything is shiny and looks good on the outisde but in reality it is a failing welfare state.
LiberalElitist

Lakeville, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
May 30, 2010
 
More Taxation Please wrote:
<quoted text>
The article doesn't acknowledge that maybe there are fewer deaths going on because people just aren't going out as much as they used to. When your neighborhood or cities are slowly in transition, people don't go out as much. Businesses fleeing the region, no jobs, no economic growth, smoking bans, barren creepy downtowns in between events, high parking fees not worth the trouble,etc. causes vacancy and no activity. Of course there are fewer deaths when everyone is inside. MN is becoming like a North Korea where everything is shiny and looks good on the outisde but in reality it is a failing welfare state.
PP readers are a lost cause. You know, you sound a lot smarter when the majority of things you say are true.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Boating Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man drowns during boating accident Aug 6 Concerned 1
Man hurt in Lake Mahopac boating accident remai... (Jul '09) Aug 2 james hosford 11
Keeping safe on the water Aug 2 is Credit river c... 1
Iowa man drowns in Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks Jun '14 really 7
Charged sailing coach taught in Hamilton May '14 string him up 1
Uber brings water taxis to Muskoka for Victoria... May '14 Eric 1
3 Injured In Catalina Boating Accident (Jan '14) Feb '14 cdcypress 9

Search the Boating Forum:
•••
•••