Deadly Boating Accident on Pickwick Lake

Full story: WHNT News 19 23
A WHNT NEWS 19 crew is headed to the scene of a deadly boating accident on Pickwick Lake. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tikkaguy

Barnesville, OH

#2 Oct 15, 2010
Worked with this man, News says he was anchored middle
of river, sun was in eyes of the driver of the other
boat. Tragedy for all involved. Prayers are with the families.
Sam

Florence, AL

#3 Oct 15, 2010
Not sure if this was caused by a speeding boat but I am sure that bass boats are becoming increasingly dangerous on our waters. When will there be a limit put on speed. I have personally witnessed bass boats running over 70 mph not only in daylight hours but also at night.There is absolutely no need in this being allowed. Something has to be done.
Sam

Florence, AL

#4 Oct 15, 2010
Tikkaguy wrote:
Worked with this man, News says he was anchored middle
of river, sun was in eyes of the driver of the other
boat. Tragedy for all involved. Prayers are with the families.
Where did he work that you worked with him?
Bright Eyes

Pulaski, TN

#5 Oct 15, 2010
Sam wrote:
Not sure if this was caused by a speeding boat but I am sure that bass boats are becoming increasingly dangerous on our waters. When will there be a limit put on speed. I have personally witnessed bass boats running over 70 mph not only in daylight hours but also at night.There is absolutely no need in this being allowed. Something has to be done.
There ought to be a law!!!!

I'm all for lawyers/politicians, whose very existence is to create another law, to hack away at freedom with their every waking moment. And a jackboot who rationalizes it's career choice with "I just enforce the law", no matter how insane, arouses me no end.

I WANT to have to pay for the privilege of breathing because a pinko lawyer says I should!!!!

"With the law books filled with a great assortment of crimes, a prosecutor stands a fair chance of finding at least a technical violation of some sort on the part of almost anyone. In such a case, it is not a question of discovering the commission of a crime and then looking for the man who committed it, it is a question of picking the man, and then searching the law books, or putting investigators to work, to pin some offense on him."
- Justice Robert H. Jackson, former US Attorney General and Justice of the US Supreme Court, April 1, 1940

http://www.roberthjackson.org/the-man/speeche...
Tikkaguy

Barnesville, OH

#6 Oct 15, 2010
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did he work that you worked with him?
He was grounds foreman for TVA , little bear reservation, He pretty much lived
on the water, fished every chance he could.
jkl

Courtland, AL

#7 Oct 16, 2010
All the more reason to slow down. Reason being the other vessels operator said the sun was in his eyes, he could not see! Im sure his vision was obstructed long before he ran over another boat. He should be charged with something! Who would want to take a ride with a person like that? Sorry, for this senseless accident. Maybe some blind peson in another vessel will run over him some day.
Bright Eyes

Pulaski, TN

#8 Oct 16, 2010
Prayers for me!!!!
Kris

United States

#9 Oct 16, 2010
We have worked from time to time on the properties of this lake, and the boats do fly by.
Bright Eyes

Culver City, CA

#10 Oct 16, 2010
I hope nobody got hurt in this sailboat accident. If they did, the baby Jesus will make them whole again... but only if everyone prays to the baby Jesus. They should make every other boat a submarine, that way they wouldn't run into each other - they'd just pass over one another. Simple as that!
BassFisherman

United States

#11 Oct 16, 2010
Funny how everyone immediately assumes it was a bass boat. Most of you have probably never even been on a boat in the river -

I do spend alot of time on the river - day and night. Most of the problems come from ski boats and big cruisers that have no regard for anyone else.

They get the boat out every few months, they tie up the ramp for 30 - or 45 mins trying to get the boat loaded or unloaded, and then proceed to break every law written riding around the river.

I'd be willing to bet that at least one of these boatts is a ski boat - probably the one that could nnot see the other
punisher

United States

#16 Oct 16, 2010
Bright Eyes wrote:
I hope nobody got hurt in this sailboat accident. If they did, the baby Jesus will make them whole again... but only if everyone prays to the baby Jesus. They should make every other boat a submarine, that way they wouldn't run into each other - they'd just pass over one another. Simple as that!
you are a friggin idiot, you will be judged one day
totally devastated

Pulaski, TN

#17 Oct 16, 2010
punisher wrote:
<quoted text>
you are a friggin idiot, you will be judged one day
Judged by what? Apparently I've already been judged by you, and I give your opinion about as much weight as todays bowel movement.

Prayers up for your psychiatrist!!!!
AmberJack

Cottontown, TN

#18 Oct 17, 2010
I think what everyone in this thread is missing is the obvious lack of boating education on the parts of both boat operators. Sure, I do feel sympathy for the victims don't get me wrong. Let me explain from my viewpoint what I see has happened.
One, the boater "with the Sun in his eyes" should have slowed down to a speed where he could see beyond his bow. He failed to maintain a proper lookout.
Two, the fisherman that passed away in the accident should not have been, from what I understand, been anchored in the middle of the channel. Even if he wasn't anchored, he was probably not moving much, possibly by a trolling motor. The "Channel" of a river is like a highway and you would not park in the middle of a highway.
My condolences to the families of the victim.
ThomasA

Sterrett, AL

#19 Oct 18, 2010
AmberJack wrote:
I think what everyone in this thread is missing is the obvious lack of boating education on the parts of both boat operators. Sure, I do feel sympathy for the victims don't get me wrong. Let me explain from my viewpoint what I see has happened.
One, the boater "with the Sun in his eyes" should have slowed down to a speed where he could see beyond his bow. He failed to maintain a proper lookout.
Two, the fisherman that passed away in the accident should not have been, from what I understand, been anchored in the middle of the channel. Even if he wasn't anchored, he was probably not moving much, possibly by a trolling motor. The "Channel" of a river is like a highway and you would not park in the middle of a highway.
My condolences to the families of the victim.
Hey, looks like you are trying to set up a scenario that justifies the one boat running over another. Cat and crappie are not in the shallows like bass so they had a right to be in the channel just like juggers,trotliners, and netters. The "bassin' bubbas" seem to get brain dead when they fire up these overpowered water rockets. They leave all caution on the dock and fly away at breakneck speeds threatening anyone or anything that gets in their way especially at bridges where they refuse to wait their turn in line to go under. If the fishing clubs and associations can't do more for keeping the public safe from these irresponsible operators, then it will be up to the states to step in and do more towards horsepower to length regulation. Prayers to the family.
WTF

Huntsville, AL

#20 Oct 18, 2010
AmberJack wrote:
I think what everyone in this thread is missing is the obvious lack of boating education on the parts of both boat operators. Sure, I do feel sympathy for the victims don't get me wrong. Let me explain from my viewpoint what I see has happened.
One, the boater "with the Sun in his eyes" should have slowed down to a speed where he could see beyond his bow. He failed to maintain a proper lookout.
Two, the fisherman that passed away in the accident should not have been, from what I understand, been anchored in the middle of the channel. Even if he wasn't anchored, he was probably not moving much, possibly by a trolling motor. The "Channel" of a river is like a highway and you would not park in the middle of a highway.
My condolences to the families of the victim.
Someone gets it!
Herpes

Culver City, CA

#21 Oct 18, 2010
Yo momma got it!
Bright Eyes

UK

#22 Oct 18, 2010
I got it, too! Pray to the baby Jesus for the sores to heal. Amen!
warning

United States

#23 Oct 18, 2010
Herpes wrote:
Yo momma got it!
yo momma gave it to you, reprobate
Martha

Huntsville, AL

#24 Oct 18, 2010
These speeding bass fishermen should be strung up by their heels and horse-whipped into intelligent beings.
dih

Chattanooga, TN

#25 Oct 18, 2010
Bright Eyes wrote:
I got it, too! Pray to the baby Jesus for the sores to heal. Amen!
do you even have a soul

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boating Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lake vacation offers a change close to home (Aug '08) Thu walkerwilliam 4
Iowa man drowns in Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks (Jun '14) Nov '14 anonymous 8
Jury selection under way for Dinius trial (Jul '09) Oct '14 oldsealawyer 235
Dog Eats Nasty Toad, Gets 'Mouth-to-Snout' CPR Oct '14 Mitt s Santorum S... 1
Man drowns during boating accident (Aug '14) Aug '14 Concerned 1
Man hurt in Lake Mahopac boating accident remai... (Jul '09) Aug '14 james hosford 11
Charged sailing coach taught in Hamilton (May '14) May '14 string him up 1
More from around the web