Deadly Boating Accident on Pickwick Lake

Full story: WHNT News 19

A WHNT NEWS 19 crew is headed to the scene of a deadly boating accident on Pickwick Lake.
Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Oct 26, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tikkaguy

Barnesville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

Worked with this man, News says he was anchored middle
of river, sun was in eyes of the driver of the other
boat. Tragedy for all involved. Prayers are with the families.
Sam

Florence, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

Not sure if this was caused by a speeding boat but I am sure that bass boats are becoming increasingly dangerous on our waters. When will there be a limit put on speed. I have personally witnessed bass boats running over 70 mph not only in daylight hours but also at night.There is absolutely no need in this being allowed. Something has to be done.
Sam

Florence, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Tikkaguy wrote:
Worked with this man, News says he was anchored middle
of river, sun was in eyes of the driver of the other
boat. Tragedy for all involved. Prayers are with the families.
Where did he work that you worked with him?
Bright Eyes

Pulaski, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

Sam wrote:
Not sure if this was caused by a speeding boat but I am sure that bass boats are becoming increasingly dangerous on our waters. When will there be a limit put on speed. I have personally witnessed bass boats running over 70 mph not only in daylight hours but also at night.There is absolutely no need in this being allowed. Something has to be done.
There ought to be a law!!!!

I'm all for lawyers/politicians, whose very existence is to create another law, to hack away at freedom with their every waking moment. And a jackboot who rationalizes it's career choice with "I just enforce the law", no matter how insane, arouses me no end.

I WANT to have to pay for the privilege of breathing because a pinko lawyer says I should!!!!

"With the law books filled with a great assortment of crimes, a prosecutor stands a fair chance of finding at least a technical violation of some sort on the part of almost anyone. In such a case, it is not a question of discovering the commission of a crime and then looking for the man who committed it, it is a question of picking the man, and then searching the law books, or putting investigators to work, to pin some offense on him."
- Justice Robert H. Jackson, former US Attorney General and Justice of the US Supreme Court, April 1, 1940

http://www.roberthjackson.org/the-man/speeche...
Tikkaguy

Barnesville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did he work that you worked with him?
He was grounds foreman for TVA , little bear reservation, He pretty much lived
on the water, fished every chance he could.
jkl

Courtland, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

All the more reason to slow down. Reason being the other vessels operator said the sun was in his eyes, he could not see! Im sure his vision was obstructed long before he ran over another boat. He should be charged with something! Who would want to take a ride with a person like that? Sorry, for this senseless accident. Maybe some blind peson in another vessel will run over him some day.
Bright Eyes

Pulaski, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

Prayers for me!!!!
Kris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

We have worked from time to time on the properties of this lake, and the boats do fly by.
Bright Eyes

Culver City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

I hope nobody got hurt in this sailboat accident. If they did, the baby Jesus will make them whole again... but only if everyone prays to the baby Jesus. They should make every other boat a submarine, that way they wouldn't run into each other - they'd just pass over one another. Simple as that!
BassFisherman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

Funny how everyone immediately assumes it was a bass boat. Most of you have probably never even been on a boat in the river -

I do spend alot of time on the river - day and night. Most of the problems come from ski boats and big cruisers that have no regard for anyone else.

They get the boat out every few months, they tie up the ramp for 30 - or 45 mins trying to get the boat loaded or unloaded, and then proceed to break every law written riding around the river.

I'd be willing to bet that at least one of these boatts is a ski boat - probably the one that could nnot see the other
punisher

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

Bright Eyes wrote:
I hope nobody got hurt in this sailboat accident. If they did, the baby Jesus will make them whole again... but only if everyone prays to the baby Jesus. They should make every other boat a submarine, that way they wouldn't run into each other - they'd just pass over one another. Simple as that!
you are a friggin idiot, you will be judged one day
totally devastated

Pulaski, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

punisher wrote:
<quoted text>
you are a friggin idiot, you will be judged one day
Judged by what? Apparently I've already been judged by you, and I give your opinion about as much weight as todays bowel movement.

Prayers up for your psychiatrist!!!!
AmberJack

Cottontown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

I think what everyone in this thread is missing is the obvious lack of boating education on the parts of both boat operators. Sure, I do feel sympathy for the victims don't get me wrong. Let me explain from my viewpoint what I see has happened.
One, the boater "with the Sun in his eyes" should have slowed down to a speed where he could see beyond his bow. He failed to maintain a proper lookout.
Two, the fisherman that passed away in the accident should not have been, from what I understand, been anchored in the middle of the channel. Even if he wasn't anchored, he was probably not moving much, possibly by a trolling motor. The "Channel" of a river is like a highway and you would not park in the middle of a highway.
My condolences to the families of the victim.
ThomasA

Sterrett, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2010

Judged:

AmberJack wrote:
I think what everyone in this thread is missing is the obvious lack of boating education on the parts of both boat operators. Sure, I do feel sympathy for the victims don't get me wrong. Let me explain from my viewpoint what I see has happened.
One, the boater "with the Sun in his eyes" should have slowed down to a speed where he could see beyond his bow. He failed to maintain a proper lookout.
Two, the fisherman that passed away in the accident should not have been, from what I understand, been anchored in the middle of the channel. Even if he wasn't anchored, he was probably not moving much, possibly by a trolling motor. The "Channel" of a river is like a highway and you would not park in the middle of a highway.
Hey, looks like you are trying to set up a scenario that justifies the one boat running over another. Cat and crappie are not in the shallows like bass so they had a right to be in the channel just like juggers,trotliners, and netters. The "bassin' bubbas" seem to get brain dead when they fire up these overpowered water rockets. They leave all caution on the dock and fly away at breakneck speeds threatening anyone or anything that gets in their way especially at bridges where they refuse to wait their turn in line to go under. If the fishing clubs and associations can't do more for keeping the public safe from these irresponsible operators, then it will be up to the states to step in and do more towards horsepower to length regulation. Prayers to the family.
WTF

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2010

AmberJack wrote:
Someone gets it!
Herpes

Culver City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2010

Yo momma got it!
Bright Eyes

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2010

Judged:

I got it, too! Pray to the baby Jesus for the sores to heal. Amen!
warning

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2010

Judged:

Herpes wrote:
Yo momma got it!
yo momma gave it to you, reprobate
Martha

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2010

Judged:

These speeding bass fishermen should be strung up by their heels and horse-whipped into intelligent beings.
dih

Chattanooga, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2010

Judged:

Bright Eyes wrote:
I got it, too! Pray to the baby Jesus for the sores to heal. Amen!
do you even have a soul

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Boating Discussions

Search the Boating Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Man drowns during boating accident Aug 6 Concerned 1
Man hurt in Lake Mahopac boating accident remai... (Jul '09) Aug 2 james hosford 11
Keeping safe on the water Aug 2 is Credit river c... 1
Iowa man drowns in Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks Jun '14 really 7
Charged sailing coach taught in Hamilton May '14 string him up 1
Uber brings water taxis to Muskoka for Victoria... May '14 Eric 1
3 Injured In Catalina Boating Accident (Jan '14) Feb '14 cdcypress 9
•••
•••
•••