Weeds, algae continue to plague Clear...

Weeds, algae continue to plague Clear Lake fishermen

There are 3 comments on the The Willits News story from Aug 3, 2012, titled Weeds, algae continue to plague Clear Lake fishermen. In it, The Willits News reports that:

If you're at the right spot you can expect to catch a good number of fish, but others are struggling to put two to three fish into the boat.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Willits News.

mft

United States

#1 Aug 8, 2012
Window on Government

While smell of a thousand un-flushed toilets wafts the air a green scum blights Clear Lake waters. We are blessed once again, and again, with algae blooms that repel tourist and real estate interests (and Clear Lake citizens), confronting the County with millions of lost dollars. But oh,“the lake is getting clearer:” a refrain repeated since the early 1990’s, in denial of the excessive nutrients continuing to pour into the Lake, feeding the algae into a seasonal smelly scum proliferation.

Do Clear Lake citizens wonder if after many years and many forms of denial by Lake County Supervisors, and a compliant media, censoring anything negative, that such an avoidance and lack of transparency (by media and government) might have substantially contributed to Lake contamination?

Unknown amounts from specific sources of agricultural pollutant-nutrients (food responsible for excessive algae growth) still enter the lake (due to special agricultural exempt waivers and deficient regulation and monitoring).

After long ignoring the many complaints from Lake County citizens, denying the extent of the need (“the Lake is getting clearer,” and therefore better?); and failing to obtain major grants, Lake County government now wants to tax citizens to fund algae abatement, with unknown plans and methodology.

In addition, Lake Government has moved to exempt its Watershed Protection District from needing a Municipal Service Review, an oversight function which has never been performed for this District, and is administered by the Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO) for the benefit of running a more efficient government (which citizens pay for).

At the same time the Board of Supervisors appears to routinely ignore its Clear Lake Advisory Committee while considering its demise.

Perhaps citizens should become more aware and concerned about the quality of a County government long in denial, and short response-ability, and that now attempts to tax while avoiding transparency.
Michael S

United States

#2 Sep 11, 2012
I am 100% with you. I sent a letter to Rob Brown this morning (see below)I doubt that anything will come of it from the Board of Sups but I am committed to stay on top of this. If the local goverment thinks it is OK to continue to ignor the state of the lake they can kiss the thousands of dollars they currently receive from property taxes and the money my family spends up there annually. There is a reason nothing has been done and lake county residents and people who have loved visiting the lake over the years should no longer stand for it.

Mr. Brown,

My family has owned a home on Clear lake for over 40 years. The condition of the lake over the past several years has many in my large family at a breaking point, regarding ever returning to the area that we all once enjoyed and loved . I know there is nothing I can do to single handedly turn around a depressed housing market and economy, but I can no longer sit by and watch the lake continue to deteriorate. Lake County needs this lake more than ever for any hope of a financial recovery and in my opinion it is a crime what the leaders of this County have allowed to take place. This would never be tolerated in Lake Tahoe or any other community. How many more years can residents afford to hear that the lake is just running it's course as lakeside resorts sit empty and boats remain on their trailors? We need your help in championing this cause.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.
Bill

United States

#3 Sep 13, 2012
Come on Lake co we need everyone on board with this! Other lakes get millions in state and federal $ the BOS will say they have spent millions on the Lake ok where has this gotten us?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Outdoor Recreation Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Drunk woman bites man's fishing line while swim... 19 hr Gov Corbutt of th... 3
News NRA Spokeswoman Loesch Calls on Dem to Resign A... Aug 13 Get Out 1
News You can buy these 25 bizarre things at the fair Aug 12 Larry Craig s WC ... 3
News 10 super weird college majors you've never hear... Aug 12 Xstain Mullahs 3
News Questions raised about border wall Aug 7 United Farts 7
News With genetic morph, a weird type of anthrax has... Aug 5 Evilgelicalling 2
News Upgrade provides better access to lake Aug 4 Water 1
More from around the web