Hunter Kills Marine; Mistook Him for ...

Hunter Kills Marine; Mistook Him for a Bear

There are 162 comments on the NBC New York story from Oct 23, 2011, titled Hunter Kills Marine; Mistook Him for a Bear. In it, NBC New York reports that:

A man hunting with his grandson accidentally killed a U.S. Marine due to return to duty this week, after mistaking him for a bear in the Oregon wilderness, authorities said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC New York.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#1 Oct 23, 2011
I've known plenty of Marines; never met one that resembled a bear.

“....VETS”

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#2 Oct 23, 2011
I got money on this one ...

saw a movement , don't know what it was !!!!but shoot anyway, perhaps a Puma salesman was around he could have had a pair ,and sneaked upon that bush

waiting

“....VETS”

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#3 Oct 23, 2011
some claimed to have seen a BARE one ha ha ha ha , oooooooooops let me correct they now claimed they heard about one
The Monkey

Hampton, VA

#4 Oct 23, 2011
Happens more frequently than you'd think.
Don't know any seasoned hunters who've ever come close to doing this.
Unfortunately only around 15% of those guys in the woods really know what they're doing. The rest would really be dangerous if they could put a round where they want it.

Sincerest sympathies to friends/family of the marine. Hope you can find peace thru this terrible loss.

“Master Baker”

Since: Jul 08

Hidden-like GINSENG.

#5 Oct 23, 2011
Such a sad story. Man oh Man.....
'
Lots of accidents happen in those hunting trips. I know. and am lucky myself. Life is so weird at times.. Bless this marine and his family. Maybe they will hibernate well and somehow ,, this will pass....
'
Peace
dhg

“Ante Omnia Armari”

Since: Nov 07

"You get back what you give"

#6 Oct 23, 2011
Horrible thing to happen. Some that "say" they are hunters should not be allowed to hunt. Common sense people, identify your target, if you can't then get out of the woods.
Prayers and condolences to the Marine & his family.
Awesome Firemen

Lakewood, OH

#7 Oct 23, 2011
What a horrible lesson for the 12 yr old grandson to learn.

IDENTIFY your target BEFORE you shoot, you dumasss.

Guy shouldn't be allowed to hunt again after this.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#8 Oct 23, 2011
Sets a dangerous precedent for old ladies 'squirrel hunting' in Kentucky....
Keith Myath

Brattleboro, VT

#9 Oct 23, 2011
one less jar head with a gun

Judged:

12

10

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Krypteia

Leeds, UK

#10 Oct 23, 2011
Keith Myath wrote:
one less jar head with a gun
Shame you wern't in the woods..
Vernus

Canada

#12 Oct 23, 2011
Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>Shame you wern't in the woods..
That is uncalled for. If you do not like his opinion,, then shut up. He has a right to it, just because it does not fall in with yours, does not make it wrong. What makes it wrong is your ideal of freedom of speech,,, seems you are like many on here and think only you have that right.
Maybe this poster has good reason for his comment! Your assumptions make only an ass out of you. And your remark makes you no better than what you think of him.

“....VETS”

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#13 Oct 23, 2011
wish you were there
just saying

Canton, TX

#14 Oct 23, 2011
Keith Myath wrote:
one less jar head with a gun
Hey would you like to go hunting you lol b I ch
Pat Robertson s Fatwass

Philadelphia, PA

#16 Oct 23, 2011
Simply_Red wrote:
Horrible thing to happen. Some that "say" they are hunters should not be allowed to hunt. Common sense people, identify your target, if you can't then get out of the woods.
Prayers and condolences to the Marine & his family.
Yeah, who would ever think that a cohort which kills defenseless animals for sport (not sustenance) would have idiots in their ranks? It strains credulity to think so.

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#17 Oct 23, 2011
Vernus wrote:
<quoted text>
A comment like this makes you no better than he. He has a right to his opinion, just because you do not like it does not make it right. You are like many on here and think the freedom of speech only applies to you Gestapo! If you do not like his remark ignore it, and move on. You have no right to make a judgement, maybe he has good reason for his hate...
Yes, the other person certainly has a right to his opinion, no matter how idiotic, stupid and heartless it may be. However, the person that responded has the right to voice his or her opinion on that comment as well.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#18 Oct 23, 2011
Though it's not the circumstances here, these hunters who get all cammoed out to hunt animals who are colorblind are setting themselves up for such accidents. Play war on the paintball field, allright?
Krypteia

Leeds, UK

#20 Oct 23, 2011
Vernus wrote:
<quoted text>
That is uncalled for. If you do not like his opinion,, then shut up. He has a right to it, just because it does not fall in with yours, does not make it wrong. What makes it wrong is your ideal of freedom of speech,,, seems you are like many on here and think only you have that right.
Maybe this poster has good reason for his comment! Your assumptions make only an ass out of you. And your remark makes you no better than what you think of him.
lol...your a prize joke,so this persons opinion is ok and mines note,well numbnuts this is a free forum and topic so get your head out your arse and grow up,you sound like an idiot..
So one less marine without a gun is ok, but i say basically one less stupid wanker without a brain is not..go figure..
Krypteia

Leeds, UK

#21 Oct 23, 2011
Vernus wrote:
<quoted text>
A comment like this makes you no better than he. He has a right to his opinion, just because you do not like it does not make it right. You are like many on here and think the freedom of speech only applies to you Gestapo! If you do not like his remark ignore it, and move on. You have no right to make a judgement, maybe he has good reason for his hate...
Are you on your monthly or something?...Gestapo????,,boy you got some issues you need some councilling..

“Ante Omnia Armari”

Since: Nov 07

"You get back what you give"

#22 Oct 23, 2011
Pat Robertson s Fatwass wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, who would ever think that a cohort which kills defenseless animals for sport (not sustenance) would have idiots in their ranks? It strains credulity to think so.
Bite me. You know nothing of why I hunt. Thanks for you opinion though.

“....VETS”

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#23 Oct 23, 2011
I have to know , a bear in the wild is defenseless ,?

and a 12 year old has a co-hart ??

and finally how is it you know why they were out in the wood hunting ... never saw in the report it was for sport???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Outdoor Recreation Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fishermen Use Friend's Ashes to Reel In Huge Fish 11 hr Christsharian Dee... 6
News 12-Year-Old Finishes Half-Marathon - by Mistake Thu Wear Protection 13
News U.S. habitat protections denied for endangered ... Apr 25 same 1
News See a hare, leave it there - no matter how cute... Apr 23 CBC GEY NEWS at 11 1
News CH to carry out prescribed burn at Glenorchy Co... Apr 23 Smokey 1
News Intensive chair: Accident-prone Brits find biza... Apr 21 DILF 13
News Mountain Lion Dashes From Los Angeles School to... Apr 18 andet1987 5
More from around the web