County's abandoned mines in line for ...

County's abandoned mines in line for safeguard, cleanup

There are 11 comments on the The Deming Headlight story from Mar 2, 2011, titled County's abandoned mines in line for safeguard, cleanup. In it, The Deming Headlight reports that:

Abandoned mines like the one above dot Luna County to the south. They are a danger to the public and to animals if not safeguarded.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Deming Headlight.

Bellcrank

Phoenix, AZ

#1 Mar 2, 2011
Well let's see...$4,560,000 for 75 sites (guessing 3 counties). Half of them get filled with dirt; the others get a bat-house. That's $121,600 per bat-house. Heck of a deal, folks. Buy-a-bat-a-house week. Reminds me of my divorce.
Tommy Rot

United States

#2 Mar 2, 2011
Are taxpayers gonna get the shaft on this 'project'?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#3 Mar 2, 2011
Tommy Rot wrote:
Are taxpayers gonna get the shaft on this 'project'?
We've been getting the "shaft" on these projects for years.$120k plus per shaft is sure lining someone’s pocket well.
yepitis

United States

#4 Mar 2, 2011
Probably some politically connected democrat from Santa Fe.
not guilty

Cochise, AZ

#5 Mar 2, 2011
Looks like another way to "spread the wealth"
Zody Wheeler

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Mar 2, 2011
I have explored and photographed many of the abandoned mines in Luna County. The Bradley Mines would not be anywhere near the top of my list of dangerous mines. This is a boondoggle, pure and simple. The photo shows the main shaft at the West Mine, there are no such shafts at the Bradley Mines.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#7 Mar 3, 2011
Zody Wheeler wrote:
I have explored and photographed many of the abandoned mines in Luna County. The Bradley Mines would not be anywhere near the top of my list of dangerous mines. This is a boondoggle, pure and simple. The photo shows the main shaft at the West Mine, there are no such shafts at the Bradley Mines.
How many of the mines you have visited would you say could be reworked again?
Rick Tomas

United States

#8 Mar 4, 2011
Spending $$$ for idiot-proofing. We will never defeat the Darwin Awards. Another project to funnel $$$ to the favored. The price of liberty is eternal vigilance.
Zody Wheeler

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Mar 7, 2011
USMC Retired wrote:
<quoted text>
How many of the mines you have visited would you say could be reworked again?
Many of the mines in the Floridas and Little Floridas were manganese mines, there was little gold or silver to be found, there is currently no market for manganese. The U.S. Govt. initiated a buying program to build up national reserves of manganese during World War II that program ended in 1959. It's not likely that any gold or silver remains to be mined in this county, Cooks Peak, the Victorios, Tres Hermanas and the Mahoney mines just over the ridge from Mahoney Park produced the most gold and silver, but by the early 1900's they were played out.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#10 Mar 8, 2011
Zody Wheeler wrote:
<quoted text>
Many of the mines in the Floridas and Little Floridas were manganese mines, there was little gold or silver to be found, there is currently no market for manganese. The U.S. Govt. initiated a buying program to build up national reserves of manganese during World War II that program ended in 1959. It's not likely that any gold or silver remains to be mined in this county, Cooks Peak, the Victorios, Tres Hermanas and the Mahoney mines just over the ridge from Mahoney Park produced the most gold and silver, but by the early 1900's they were played out.
Thanks for the info.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#11 Aug 12, 2012
So, has anyone heard an update? I'm particularly worried about the 'danger to animals' aspect mentioned in the tagline.

Also, does anybody know how the.hell animals ever took care of themselves BEFORE we blew money on them that we don't have?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Outdoor Recreation Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Python eggs, over easy: Hunter captures 12-foot... Jun 18 Christsharian Dee... 2
News Tragedy strikes family members of Leasure (Jul '08) Jun 9 Evidence phart 9
News Conservation group to take over eastern Ontario... Jun 7 park-ecology 1
News TRIATHLON: Playing for Cirencester Town, climbi... Jun 7 Town Phart 2
News Let's all help stop the Shale Quarry (Dec '10) Jun 1 15-year-old boy hurt 2
News Florida undercover gator farm nabs 9 men on 44 ... May 29 who ya gonna call 1
News Paris: NDP is the party that cares about people May 29 who ya gonna call 1
More from around the web