NY state charges 107 in 'deer jacking' crackdown

Full story: WNYT Albany 12
New York officials are cracking down on deer jacking. Officers with the state Department of Environmental Conservation recently charged dozens of people from the lower Hudson Valley to the Canadian border in northern New York with illegally hunting deer at night with a spotlight. Full Story
sam

Delmar, NY

#1 Dec 8, 2009
These are the people that give us ethical hunters a bad name. I believe the fines need to be raised for poachers and deer jackers. Let's also raise the fine amount for trespassing. Does anyone know what POSTED means anymore?
Edd

South Bethlehem, NY

#2 Dec 8, 2009
Sam I agree 100% with you. Hunters have a hard enough time defending our right to hunt with out the bad name of poachers.
jim

Gloversville, NY

#3 Dec 8, 2009
Way to go, DEC! Hunting has been a part of my family for many generations. Our family owns property in Albany County and I'm tired of people illegally taking deer. Keep up the great, work!
luvtohunt

Cambridge, NY

#4 Dec 9, 2009
Kudo's to DEC. You guys usually get a bad wrap. As an avid hunter GREAT JOB GUYS!
I agree with the 1st post here as well. Hey maybe we can get those guns!!
rushme

Chatham, NY

#5 Dec 9, 2009
its simple must have a license to hunt on land that allows it. anyone caught hunting illegally should have weapon taken.
Upstate

Clifton Park, NY

#6 Dec 9, 2009
Best to just hunt with a Pickup truck and an old snowplow, you'll get more deer than with a gun and you can get a tag for it.
Gary - Guilderland NY

Selkirk, NY

#7 Dec 9, 2009
Thank you DEC Officers. I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg so keep up with the good work. As a hunter for many years, these poachers give a bad name for the rest of us who abide by the laws. Instead of destroying the confiscated guns, maybe an auction would help off set some of the expenses of such an operation.
luvtohunt

Cambridge, NY

#8 Dec 9, 2009
Gary:
Even a better idea! One thing I forgit to say in my last post.

You all that were arrested in this operation....You are all model Sportsmen, real tough hunt you guys had this year!

Since: May 08

United States

#9 Dec 10, 2009
I agree that this is the tip of the iceberg. I hunt down in Austerlitz. Along a stretch of rod, every year we see 8 or more dead deer with the back straps removed and, if it's a buck, the head. We called DEC in that area and said they have been trying to catch the guys but in that area it was very difficult. Jacking at night is just the tip. There are many others out there violating the laws during the day as well. These DEC Officers are doing a great job. But in Rensselaer County there are only two officers assigned so it is very difficult to catch a lot of them without others helping. As far as posted I also agree but a lot of posted property is not properly posted. The signs can't be more than 660 feet apart, eye level and visible. And they must have the name and address of the land owner or the person authorized to post the property. I have permission to hunt on quite a bit of posted property and constantly run into people who don't have permission.

United States

#10 Dec 10, 2009
road, sorry.
rushme

East Nassau, NY

#11 Feb 15, 2010
illegal hunters are at night and most likely not wearing RED. they also check for lights before entering area. LEGAL hunters have permission,license only hunt in daylight. simple not permitted dark hear a shot must report to land owner.

United States

#12 Feb 15, 2010
You actually can hunt Coyotes at night with a center fire rifle and a spotlight except during any open deer season. My buddy hunts coyotes on his property until the last day of the season. It's also not illegal to spot light deer. If you do have a firearm it must be broken down, secured in a case or locked in the trunk. If you have a bow in the vehicle (not in trunk) it must be unstrung. And if you do hear shooting at night, during deer hunting season report it to DEC . For all you know it could be the land owner shooting. Let DEC figure it out. That's what they are there for. I have met a few and have the Utmost respect for these guys. These guys go into the woods after law breakers, most of the time armed with high powered rifles, by themselves. During this operation a lot of them stayed in the dark wood for hours. If I recall it was also a very cold and rainy night.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Outdoor Recreation Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man attempted to sue God for fraud and gross ne... (Jul '12) 22 hr DILF 59
Group promotes sensible coyote culls (Feb '10) Tue frygirl 9
Oregon Project Team Channels Conflicting River ... Tue Gerald Vonberger 1
Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fall bow hun... (Sep '07) Tue Homo Erectus 120,210
Talk about an entrance! This bride arrived at t... Tue Matej 1
Skydiving School Oct 23 Zach 1
WPEC holds Pumpkin Day on Sunday Oct 22 same watershed 1

Outdoor Recreation People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE