Michael Arace commentary: Fledgling f...

Michael Arace commentary: Fledgling fan group trying to liven up Nationwide | BlueJacketsXtra

There are 16 comments on the BlueJacketsXtra story from Feb 12, 2011, titled Michael Arace commentary: Fledgling fan group trying to liven up Nationwide | BlueJacketsXtra. In it, BlueJacketsXtra reports that:

Sometime between Christmas and New Year's Day, a few Hudson Street Hooligans hatched an idea for a new venture.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BlueJacketsXtra.

Dennis

Coldwater, OH

#1 Feb 12, 2011
They lost my support with the yelling during the anthem.

Since: Dec 10

Dayton

#2 Feb 12, 2011
Go for it!

Since: Dec 10

Dayton

#3 Feb 12, 2011
OK. I'm sure they can learn NOT to yell during the National Anthem.

Other than that, I still say GO FOR IT! Keep the spiriti alive!
David

Millbury, OH

#4 Feb 12, 2011
Love it, I've been saying for a while that we need Hockey Hooligans on par with those that follow soccer.
I Am Amused

Mansfield, OH

#5 Feb 12, 2011
I guess they were also taunting San Jose's Danny Heatley by chanting something like "He Killed a Guy", referencing Heatley's auto accident that killed a teammate. Hope they are able to edit a little, because the energy does help the arena and would be appreciated if handled with some discretion.
CBJfan

Reynoldsburg, OH

#6 Feb 12, 2011
...I have never been to a Crew game BECAUSE of "hooligan" groups like this.. Their hearts are in the right place, no doubt, but once you mix alcohol with the fanaticism of a large group of people packed together, all bets are off. many times trouble starts in the anonymity of being in a large group. Me personally, I cheer, scream, and yell at every game, so to have a bunch of yahoos yell down at me to "wake up"? I didn't pay lower bowl prices to have a bunch of "hooligans" tell me how to be a fan. A BETTER method for this group to invigorate the fan base? Buy lower bowl tickets (maybe CBJ could do a "discount deal"?), spread out strategically throughout each section in the lower bowl, and see if they can use "mob mentality" to get those around them to cheer along for the team, or get some "cross-arena" chants going. THAT would be awesome! Just my two cents....
William

New Albany, OH

#7 Feb 12, 2011
Im sorry.... but I found them more offensive than helpful. Chanting "Die "person on the other team" die, and "Kill "so and so" kill!" Im sorry... thats just not right. Im all for chanting for the Jackets, but that is over the top of PG-13. They were also rude after the game, running into people and saying offensive things.
Mike

Lancaster, OH

#8 Feb 12, 2011
Keep it up ACA!

Are people so soft shelled they can't handle some chants? Obviously they're not going to kill anyone or want anyone to actually "die", they want people to get active and cheer for the team. Having a go at the other players and showing pro-active support is all good in my book, I'm gonna make sure to join them for a game or two.
Lets_Go_Jackets

Columbus, OH

#9 Feb 12, 2011
Season ticket holder for years, and I'm there and cheering through thick and thin....but don't see this group as a positive. Yelling during the National Anthem (when they should already know better since they're adults!), chants of "kill" & "die" & "hurt", being off-cadence on chants & claps (if you're going to do something like this, learn the things before you give it a go), are things I have an issue with.
Did you ever stop to think that maybe there's a reason hockey fans aren't like soccer fans? Do you want hockey fans to be like soccer fans in Europe? Do you really want that type of fan? Personally, I don't! Maybe there's a reason this type of thing hasn't been seen at hockey games.
Also, if the Jackets front office wants more bodies in the seats & more passion there's a simple way to get that....win!
HockeyBum

Mount Gilead, OH

#10 Feb 12, 2011
Try a Blackhawks home game and listen to the screaming there during the anthem. The atmoshere there is awesome and there is no disrespect to the anthem! They make Nationwide look like a morgue, they call it the "Madhouse on Madison" I'm all for the ACA if they can bring some of that madness here! Maybe some of that craziness could descend to the ice!
Sean

Dayton, OH

#11 Feb 13, 2011
I am a Columbus Crew season ticket holder. I agree that yelling during the national anthem is disrespectful. I also believe the ACA can be a great catalyst for additional fan support for the Blue Jackets. At Crew games the support groups provide a spectacle that the fans, players, and management want to have at the games. When a crowd is into cheering for a team whether they are winning or losing, in first place or last place it show a solidarity for the team. Their shows of support helped the Crew win the 2008 MLS Championship. The Crew players will agree that without the support of the fan groups they wouldn't have been able to win. The Crew fans felt the whole league was against them so they adopted a motto "Be Massive". So wanting the same support for another local team sounds like a great thing. During the first few years, the different supporter groups were not well-organized but it was very organic. It grew over time and flourished. Maybe those who don't agree with the initial support methods should work with the ACA (maybe even join the group) to provide suggestions as to a new course of action. But remember they wanted to show support to the Jackets who were struggling.
Kellan

Dayton, OH

#12 Feb 13, 2011
I think this is a great thing. I love going to the Crew games and seeing the Nordecke rocking the stadium. So going to a Blue Jackets game and seeing the same vibe would be awesome. I would suggest bringing some of the same signs that hang in Crew Stadium like "Be Massive", "Columbus til I die". It would promote the same solidarity that we are Columbus and we support our city and our teams. I also think some of the Blue Jacket players are also soccer fans that would appreciate the support from the Crew fans. Go Columbus (all teams).
Westsidejacketsf an

Galloway, OH

#13 Feb 13, 2011
This group would be unnecessary if the arena marketing group would create a better atmosphere. "Lets go jackets" is the only chant we have. Its outright boring at times when the team needs us the most. Chants are key and get the crowd involved. I guess that is to be expected from a marketing group that thought that "boomer" the huge phallic symbol was a good idea.
Keep it LOUD C-BUS

Columbus, OH

#14 Feb 14, 2011
@ HockeyBum: Right on! The United Center has it going on! I think it's more respectful to cheer for the National Anthem... how is it disrespectful to cheer for something you love???
I've been a CBJ season ticket holder for several years now, and I've been getting increasingly more bored with the atmosphere in Nationwide. I absolutely love the games, but the atmosphere is stagnant. I can tell you what song is going to be played on the organ or what song is going to come over the PA before it happens; it's that mundane. Let alone changing the goal song yet again and using Nickelback now makes me want to vomit. Nationwide Arena is not a library - it's an action-packed venue with a good team that needs to hear the fans! I've actually witnessed people asleep in their seats while the Jackets were winning by 2 goals! This is obviously issues with the operations side, but the fans have a lot to do with the atmosphere as well. The energy from the fans can really make a difference in the game!
All I'm saying is that a little variety is a good thing... it keeps people interested. I'm all for the ACA - I may give up my lower bowl seats to go sit with them instead! If you can't handle some loud cheering, go watch golf.
KEEP IT LOUD, C-BUS!!!
Jakey

Washington, DC

#15 Feb 15, 2011
Go ACA!!!
homebuyer

Columbus, OH

#16 Feb 17, 2011
@ westsidejacketsfan:

"This group would be unnecessary if the arena marketing group would create a better atmosphere. "Lets go jackets" is the only chant we have. Its outright boring at times when the team needs us the most. Chants are key and get the crowd involved. I guess that is to be expected from a marketing group that thought that "boomer" the huge phallic symbol was a good idea."

On a side note. I'm sure when you roll out a new mascot, you go through test groups, and have upper management sign off before you reveal the mascot to the public. It says alot about CBJ management that Boomer actually got as far as he did. Really?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Olympic Winter Games Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Emotions run high for 4 Canadians ahead of wome... Apr '17 HighPhartsz 2
Figure skater Meryl Davis does not look human (Feb '10) Mar '17 AuthorMuse72 94
News Town ending brief electric ice resurfacer exper... Mar '17 CouncilPhart 2
News Sheila Campbell receives Georgetown Hockey Heri... Mar '17 ReceivesPhartz 2
News Super Weird Shit going down in Sochi (Jan '14) Feb '17 Phart Athletically 9
News US figure skating darling makes racist tweet, a... (Nov '13) Jan '17 SeedPharts 34
News Strange omissions reveal NHL's real motive for ... (Jan '17) Jan '17 RankingPharts 7
More from around the web