Blue Jackets season in review: Young ...

Blue Jackets season in review: Young talent, old problems | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 12 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Apr 13, 2011, titled Blue Jackets season in review: Young talent, old problems | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

It was supposed to be a celebration, but the Blue Jackets' 10th season ended like eight others - without a spot in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Just a Viewer

Delaware, OH

#1 Apr 13, 2011
That about sums it up. I was at the Calvert hat trick game... Fantastic. Thank you Umberger, Calvert, MacKenzie, and a few others. Often heard in Ohio: Wait 'till next year!
Fan Who Has Given UP

Columbus, OH

#2 Apr 13, 2011
The CBJ will never turn the team around unless the following occur:

1. Mike Priest should be fired ASAP. The hockey operations and game operations are among the worst in the NHL. He did not have any hockey experience when he was hired, and the team is bleeding money under his leadership. The game atmosphere is very bland and too generic, and what is so sad is that the games used to be so much fun. He also has muzzled the radio/TV game announcers and they have not been permitted to complain or express their opinions about the horrible on-ice product.

2. Scott Howson should have been fired yesterday. Firing Hitch is unforgivable, signing Commodore to his huge contract and now paying him to go away is unforgivable. Not making ANY moves this past offseason should have resulted in his immediate termination. His recent interview sealed it for me - the guy has no clue and should no longer be leading this team.

3. Bring back Doug MacLean!! I know this won't happen, but at least the team and the games were entertaining when he was he here and the fans appreciated his passion!! The franchise is presently an embarassment to the NHL and especially, the city of Columbus.
UltraHomer4Eva

Dublin, OH

#3 Apr 13, 2011
Hey Prortly, 1 post season out of 10 seasons is 9 playoffs missed, not 8.. don't church it up with shotty math, they earned all those misses, give'em credit for it.
UltraHomer4Eva

Dublin, OH

#4 Apr 13, 2011
Howson blows.. he has no passion for winning, he's an accountant. If it looks good on paper, he's for it.. and if they've played in Edmonton, no questions asked.

Best thing to happen to this team is Arniel. If Howson wants to suck, that's fine, just stay out of the way and let the man do his thing. Give'em a tub"er" and he'll get ya somethin' out of it..

Commadore was a cancer, didn't start that way, but any guy who tries to suicide bomb the locker room by going public with your comments KNOWING that they were right and you ARE out of shape and NOT in the expected condition of a pro athlete.. you tubby foch..

Jackets witnessed the birth of an identity this season.. Young guys are coming in and taking control of the team. Longtime vets may be content to be the butt of the joke, but not these kids. They're hungry. And with 1 or 2 veteran leaders that actually have a competitive drive the young guys will change the locker room.

Howson, just keep your grubby hands of the team and coach.. Then show some class and step down as GM due to lack of hockey acumen.

Have hope jackets fans
Yes But

Columbus, OH

#5 Apr 13, 2011
UltraHomer4Eva wrote:
Hey Prortly, 1 post season out of 10 seasons is 9 playoffs missed, not 8.. don't church it up with shotty math, they earned all those misses, give'em credit for it.
Don't forget there was a lock-out season in there.
upthe highway

Marysville, OH

#6 Apr 13, 2011
The Jackets have a history of un-offensive D-men and a parade of back up and rookie goaltenders as starters. Those have been major problems since the franchises inception. Since it's beginning, Nashville had a NO.1 goalie and strong blue line. The rules may have changed but teams with stronger defenses still dominate in the NHL. I'm looking forward to next season. The Jackets will have cap space and there are more FA's this summer. Priority number one is a goaltender. Mason isn't the answer.
bigin

Chillicothe, OH

#7 Apr 13, 2011
What a sad story this is....carry the coffin....YOU GOT TO SMELL IT LIVE!
Really

Hilliard, OH

#8 Apr 13, 2011
Fan Who Has Given UP wrote:
1. Mike Priest should be fired ASAP. The hockey operations and game operations are among the worst in the NHL. He did not have any hockey experience when he was hired, and the team is bleeding money under his leadership. The game atmosphere is very bland and too generic, and what is so sad is that the games used to be so much fun. He also has muzzled the radio/TV game announcers and they have not been permitted to complain or express their opinions about the horrible on-ice product.
2. Scott Howson should have been fired yesterday. Firing Hitch is unforgivable, signing Commodore to his huge contract and now paying him to go away is unforgivable. Not making ANY moves this past offseason should have resulted in his immediate termination. His recent interview sealed it for me - the guy has no clue and should no longer be leading this team.
3. Bring back Doug MacLean!! I know this won't happen, but at least the team and the games were entertaining when he was he here and the fans appreciated his passion!! The franchise is presently an embarassment to the NHL and especially, the city of Columbus.
Bring back Doug MacLean.......you were making some good points but that idea makes you an idiot. MacLean put the franchise behind from the start. The entire scouting department needs to be cleaned out, a true captain needs to be brought in to run the locker room and hold players accountable and Mason needs to be held to the fire of produce or enjoy your trip to Spingfield.
Steve Irwin

Columbus, OH

#9 Apr 13, 2011
Just a matter of time before this mess is contracted or move to Quebec and Portzline/Reed are job hunting
David

Millbury, OH

#10 Apr 13, 2011
You had me up to bring back MacLean. Remember, it was MacLean that overrode his scouting staff to draft Gilbert Brule instead of Anze Kopitar.
Mmmmmm

New York, NY

#11 Apr 13, 2011
Those number were pathetic. C'mon JP why are these front office people still employed? It's been 10 years and you have nothing to show for it. Time to clear the table and get some real hockey people on board. The fans deserve better. Mr. Mac wouldn't stand for this and neither should you.
Mmmmmm

New York, NY

#12 Apr 13, 2011
I agree except for the McLean part. Let's not digress.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Olympic Winter Games Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Snow sets perfect backdrop for a Jessie Diggins... Apr '18 SnowPhartse 2
News Henrik Lundqvist chooses his knee's health over... Apr '18 ChoosesPhartse 2
News 'The Breadwinner' among early Canadian Screen A... Apr '18 LinkPhartse 2
News Apple worker accused of stealing iPhone on BA f... Mar '18 PlayPhartse 2
News Olympics: Russians win hockey gold with 4-3 OT ... Feb '18 CongratsPhartse 2
News Face it, team figure skating at the Winter Olym... Feb '18 Have phartse 24
News Meet the Designer Behind Shibutani, Knierims' F... Feb '18 MeetPharts 2