Woman Figure Skater Wears Pants on Ice

Woman Figure Skater Wears Pants on Ice

There are 316 comments on the The Good Reverend story from Feb 23, 2006, titled Woman Figure Skater Wears Pants on Ice. In it, The Good Reverend reports that:

In Tuesday night's preliminary skate, Russian gold-hopeful Irina Slutskaya broke new ground by rolling down her sleeves: Also good is the new rule that allows female skaters to wear pants.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Good Reverend.

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Raech

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Feb 24, 2006
This is the real story of the games! LOL
Craig

Goodlettsville, TN

#2 Feb 24, 2006
What's wrong with her wearing pants? LOL - hmm - wonder how you look in pants Raech. "This is the real story of the games" - put the pipe down really, its not good for you.
Judy

Ontario, CA

#3 Feb 24, 2006
Good job, Sasha. You fell but still got silver. Good for you. Yes, you should have got a gold. Next time, beat Chinese, like you beat Michelle Kwan. It was good that she could not be Olympic this year. It was also bad that she wasn’t there, otherwise, let us to see you to beat her. In fact, we as American, are the best in the world and should have got all three medals in ladeis figure skating. We were ripped ooff so did our skaters!!!!
rimma

Bucharest, Romania

#4 Feb 25, 2006
[what?who told u judy that americas the best in the world? the best is russia. n noone doubts it coz our school of the figure skating is the strongest one. by the way do u know that our russian coaches helped japan n u,america,win the medals? there were our russian coaches who made programs for cohen,n they trained her after she switched to her present coach. n after that ull keep saying that usa is the best.btw cohen fell down two times,u forgot?russia was,is n will be the best!!!!!! who="Judy"]Good job, Sasha. You fell but still got silver. Good for you. Yes, you should have got a gold. Next time, beat Chinese, like you beat Michelle Kwan. It was good that she could not be Olympic this year. It was also bad that she wasn’t there, otherwise, let us to see you to beat her. In fact, we as American, are the best in the world and should have got all three medals in ladeis figure skating. We were ripped ooff so did our skaters!!!!

[
Sasha Cohen is a fraud

United States

#5 Feb 25, 2006
Sasha Cohen “DOES NOT” deserve the Silver!
She said herself she didn’t think she was even going to medal. The girl had put on her street clothes, packed up her skates, and was on her way out. Slutskaya fell once, but she still outperformed Cohen by a mile. Cohen fell “twice” and her routine was second to Slutskaya’s. The most honorable thing for Cohen to have done was to not accept the silver and continue walking. But I can see that Cohen is a spoiled, selfish, arrogant little girl who’s used to a lot of attention. There was 20 million in endorsements already shelled out expecting her to win. I wouldn’t be at all surprised that a few extra dollars went to some judges pockets.
Cohen to me is not a true athlete but a fraud who has no honor and allows herself to be manipulated by the press. Perhaps her youth allows this to happen, but to me Slutskaya should have the silver. And if she had not fallen that one time she easily could have the gold. She was cheated in the Salt Lake Olympics under the scoring system and she was cheated again in Torino. It’s always about the Benjamin’s, sad but true.
christine

Cambridge, MA

#6 Feb 25, 2006
Sasha Cohen is a fraud wrote:
Sasha Cohen “DOES NOT” deserve the Silver!
She said herself she didn’t think she was even going to medal. The girl had put on her street clothes, packed up her skates, and was on her way out. Slutskaya fell once, but she still outperformed Cohen by a mile. Cohen fell “twice” and her routine was second to Slutskaya’s. The most honorable thing for Cohen to have done was to not accept the silver and continue walking. But I can see that Cohen is a spoiled, selfish, arrogant little girl who’s used to a lot of attention. There was 20 million in endorsements already shelled out expecting her to win. I wouldn’t be at all surprised that a few extra dollars went to some judges pockets.
Cohen to me is not a true athlete but a fraud who has no honor and allows herself to be manipulated by the press. Perhaps her youth allows this to happen, but to me Slutskaya should have the silver. And if she had not fallen that one time she easily could have the gold. She was cheated in the Salt Lake Olympics under the scoring system and she was cheated again in Torino. It’s always about the Benjamin’s, sad but true.
i aggree
Eddie

Waverly, NE

#7 Feb 25, 2006
christine wrote:
<quoted text>i aggree
I disgree. Cohen is artistically and technically a better than Slustkaya and the others. When she stops falling, she is going to prove it to the world. Slutskaya is all jumps, does not express the music well. It was not Cohen that she had to beat and she knew it. She lost her chance fairly.
Eddie

Waverly, NE

#8 Feb 25, 2006
Raech wrote:
This is the real story of the games! LOL
Debi Thomas was the first to be allowed to wear pants in 1988 Olympics : look it up pants is old news.
Sasha Cohen is a fraud

United States

#9 Feb 25, 2006
Fort Valley, CA, you said it all to well, "when she stops falling" i.e. Cohen. My point being this time in Torino Cohen did not have the silver coming to her, that was unjust and had everything to do with endorsement dollars and nothing to do with Cohen's artistic and technical capabilities. Point is, this time around, she fell, and she fell "twice," and in Torino she did not have the silver coming to her - Slustkaya did. Cohen herself knew this by admitting it on national television.
Natasha

Jackson, NJ

#10 Feb 26, 2006
Eddie wrote:
<quoted text> I disgree. Cohen is artistically and technically a better than Slustkaya and the others. When she stops falling, she is going to prove it to the world. Slutskaya is all jumps, does not express the music well. It was not Cohen that she had to beat and she knew it. She lost her chance fairly.
Okay, it's pointless to agrue with you people. Please read 'Sasha Cohen Is A Fraud''s response, and that's what I realy believe in.

You will always be the best on ice, Irina!!
Judy is an idiot

United States

#11 Feb 26, 2006
I'm from the US and I have to say the Russians have been outstanding in figure skating. Sasha Cohen does not deserve a medal after falling down on her ass "twice." 20 million endorsement dollars bought Sasha Cohen that silver medal.
And please don’t embarrass the rest of us Americans by saying “we” as Americans because I as an American think you’re an idiot! And it’s idiots like yourself that give United States a bad name. I often find myself asking for forgiveness from people in other countries because they had listened to idiot comments by people such as yourself.
Irina got ripped off in the Salt lake City Olympics and she got ripped off in Torino. I regret this because she clearly deserves much more.
Judy wrote:
Good job, Sasha. You fell but still got silver. Good for you. Yes, you should have got a gold. Next time, beat Chinese, like you beat Michelle Kwan. It was good that she could not be Olympic this year. It was also bad that she wasn’t there, otherwise, let us to see you to beat her. In fact, we as American, are the best in the world and should have got all three medals in ladeis figure skating. We were ripped ooff so did our skaters!!!!
Natasha

Jackson, NJ

#12 Feb 26, 2006
Yes, indesputably, Irina truly went out and skted out there for the gold. Though many inconsiderate people regret it, it is true in reality.
Stefanya

Denver, CO

#13 Feb 26, 2006
I have to agree with Natasha. Russians are the best in the world. What country could lose almost all of its coaches to America and the world, and lose so mnay of its skaters to other countries, ho either skate for other countries or get partners in other countries and still be a threat for gold in all four categories of figure skating. Only Russia.

Irina Slutzkaya was cheated out of the gold in Saltlake city Olympics. She deserved far better than bronze in Turin.

I hope Russia will find a way to keep their coaches at home, because the whole world is ganging up on Russia to try to win over them. Without Russias help there would be no win for Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto. The Russians should be in Russia teaching Russians not spoiled brats from all over the world. Americans will be very happy to grab all the coaches from Russia and then if they win claim it to be a big American win.
Americans don't care if the playing field is level as long as they win. They don't care if Russians have no more ice rinks, are having hard times, no money and no coaches, just as long as they win.

I read that Sasha cohan's coach John Nicks wants even more Russian coaches to coach Americans so they can win.

I hope the people in Russia are finally sick of this situation and will find a way to get more ice rinks and money and coaches and keep them in Russia. Russian coaches should be sitting beside Russian ice dancers and skaters not Americans who don't even appreciate them and continue to hate Russians.

I hope Russia pulls itself up by its bootstraps again and once again come up with skaters who will knock off those skaters from gold medals, that is skaters who are planning to win because they have Russias coaches.

Russians are always several steps above the rest and I hope they continue to win. I am so sick of These great coaches grinning up a storm and gettng rich while their own people are getting screwed by lack of coaches and facilities.

What is the matter with these Russian coaches who are trying to hurt their own country. Even Nadia Comanechi who left Rumania to become an Am erican always goes to Rumania with money and coaching so that the people in Rumania are not screwed out of their coaches. I guess these Russian coaches think they are too good for Russia now that they have come to America. And they are too busy being rich to worry about the country that trained them .. Shame on them. I hope Russia wins anyway in the future
go to hell emily hughes

Ontario, CA

#14 Feb 26, 2006
compare to sasha cohen, emily hughes is nothing. she can't jump well, can't spin well, she went to torino just lucky for michelle could not go, but emily's skating skill was far behind away from sasha cohen. sasha, you are the best, we americans support you no matter other idiots say about you. next month go and get the world championship back home. can emily get it? i wonder!!!

btw, russian coaches help united states, no way, they came just for the money, not for "help".
Lola

San Jose, CA

#15 Feb 27, 2006
Maybe it's my love of ballet, but I don't understand the fascination with Irina Slutskaya. She lacks elegance, line, musicality, and choreography. She is about speed and triple jumps, neither of which was evident in her long programs in Salt Lake or Torino. When athleticism is your strength, and you don't deliver, you don't win the gold medal. I don't feel that the silver medal was a gift to Cohen, because even with the falls, she was the most exquisite female figure skater at the Games.

Also, I think some of you are quite naive when it comes to the purity of Slutskaya and the other Russian skaters. Make no mistake--Slutskaya was packaged and promoted excessively. How many times did we hear about her mother and her illness and the fact that she thinks she deserved gold in Salt Lake? She is a diva and was the annointed one in these Games. No one was even talking about Cohen until after the short program. Slutskaya gave the impression that she thought she should win the gold medal--whether she skated or not!
Natasha

Elizabeth, NJ

#16 Feb 27, 2006
The difference between Cohen and our Irina is the fact that it is not bothered that she didin't get first place and the gold. She skated her best, and not for the money and fame, like Cohen, but because she has talent and passion and love for her mother who always encouraged her to do best.

Please consider.
Jules

Oakland, CA

#17 Feb 27, 2006
Of course the Russians are the best in the world they have always been! Cohen didn't really deserve the silver because she fell two times in the first 30 seconds of the program, but she did well in the end.
Lola

San Jose, CA

#18 Mar 1, 2006
Natasha wrote:
The difference between Cohen and our Irina is the fact that it is not bothered that she didin't get first place and the gold. She skated her best, and not for the money and fame, like Cohen, but because she has talent and passion and love for her mother who always encouraged her to do best.

Please consider.
What makes you think that Irina wasn't bothered? She has called her bronze medal just some more olympic hardware. She ripped it off as soon as the photo session was finished. Of course she cares. She would not be competing at the level she is if she didn't care. In Salt Lake, she cared enough to file a protest (I actually think she desrved the gold in Salt Lake).

I don't think any artist who functions at the level of Cohen, Kwan, and Slutskaya does it for the money. I think they enjoy the money, but that isn't why they skate. Slutskaya has said in multiple interviews that she can live well in Moscow because of the money she makes from skating. She was able to buy housing and SUVs for herself and for her parents. How many 26-year-olds can do that--in America or Russia? Movie stars, pop stars, and--maybe--Wall Street investiment bankers. That's it.

Finally, why do you assume that you know what is in Sasha Cohen's heart? How do you profess to know what motivates her? I think that women dislike her because she is a beautiful woman. And because she's pretty, she mustn't have depth or soul. And she's American, so she can't have any heart. I can't comment on Cohen's heart or soul. I can only say her skating is divine and I haven't been this moved by a figure skater since Oksana Baiul's olympic performances.
Lola

San Jose, CA

#19 Mar 1, 2006
Jules wrote:
Of course the Russians are the best in the world they have always been! Cohen didn't really deserve the silver because she fell two times in the first 30 seconds of the program, but she did well in the end.
That isn't the way the sport is scored. There is no rule that if you fall twice you can't get a medal. These are atheletes who are pushing the edge of their sport, so of course there will be a lot of falls.

Actually Cohen fell on the first jump, and then opened up and put a hand down on the second. So on the second jump she still got some credit for the rotations she completed.

Also, almost everyone fell. And everyone downgraded jumps. When you downgrade a jump you also lose points. Cohen collected points for her artistry, and in the end, the total was enough for second place. It's as clinical as that.
Margarita

Atlanta, GA

#20 Mar 2, 2006
What is wrong with you, woman? Russia was always the best in figure skating, that's a fact. All Americans, if they win, have Russian coaches.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Olympic Winter Games Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Troop hopes Pan Am Games leave a legacy (Nov '13) Jun 24 Fart news 88
News Putin keeps pope waiting 1 hour Jun 11 VodkaFarts 3
News Kean rink building confidence, chemistry at Tan... Mar '15 stewart scott 2
News Ottawa police to face off against Sens' Bobby R... Mar '15 stewart scott 2
News 1980 US Olympic hockey team reunites in Lake Pl... Feb '15 Doodley 1
News US figure skating darling makes racist tweet, a... (Nov '13) Feb '15 Fran 23
News Gaskell, Harle win first gold medals of Canada ... Feb '15 Ian 1
More from around the web