Tokyo wins bid to host 2020 Olympics over Istanbul and Madrid as IOC plays it safe

Full story: The Washington Post

Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, fourth from left, and Tokyo's Governor Naoki Inose, third from left, celebrate with other members of the Tokyo delegation after the International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge announced that Tokyo will host the 2020 Olympic Games during the 125th IOC session in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Saturday, Sept.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2

“My the Force Be With You”

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

hip hurray Tokyo.
"Tokyo, which hosted the 1964 Olympics, billed itself as the “safe pair of hands” at a time of global political and economic turmoil — a message that clearly resonated with the IOC.

With Madrid’s bid dogged by questions over Spain’s economic crisis and Istanbul handicapped by political unrest and the civil war in neighboring Syria, Tokyo offered the fewest risks.

“The certainty was a crucial factor — the certainty that they could deliver,” IOC vice president Craig Reedie of Britain said.

The choice of Tokyo bucked the IOC’s recent trend of taking chances on host cities — Sochi, Russia, for the 2014 Winter Games, Rio de Janeiro for the 2016 Olympics and Pyeongchang, South Korea, for the 2018 Winter Games."...

Turkey's support for war and greed just cost it the Olympics.
Danger there is to the Dark Side.

“GM Dead, al qaeda alive”

Since: Mar 10

Huntington, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Tokyo stands as a monument to Pax Americana.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••