Shizuka Arakawa victory: opinions on ...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
noel2

Hirosaki, Japan

#21 Apr 24, 2006
Eddie Terry wrote:
<quoted text>If she is the best, then why does she skate so conservsatively. The was the most conservsatively programs that have won and gold medal, since 1976's winter Olympics. I hope that others will not follow it; with the new judging system, it will probably be done again by Arakawa. Cohen didn't skate conservatively; she just fell and touch down on the ice, without the two mistakes, Sasha had the best program. Cohen was leading perfectly before the free skate. Falling and coming from back is the same things. When Cohen had fallen, Arakawa decided to skate conversatively. I wonder what would have been the results , if she had skated as she planned before Cohen fell,umhm, we will never know.
I don't know what the problem here?? Every skaters had the same minutes on the ice, were seen by the same referees, judged under the same rules, nobody disturbed others' skating... And the gold was given to the highest marked skater. What was so problem with that?? I think the judging system worked much better in torino than the past competitions. If you feel something unsatisfied you should talk to people who made the new rules. Every skaters were (and will be) forced to obey the given system. Obviously they are not to be blamed.
asians rock

Everett, WA

#22 Apr 25, 2006
Shizuka skated conservatively because cohen already choked. Do you wanna risk landing on your tush while doing a risky jump? Just like in the Super Bowl, when your team is leading after the 2 minute warning, you get a 1st down and your opponent ran out of timeouts, do you risk throwing an exciting but risky pass? No, you take a knee. All Shizuka had to do was stay upright and she did. Cohen and Slutskaya choked, that's why they didn't win gold.
Mark from Idaho

Chanhassen, MN

#23 Apr 25, 2006
I think they should have put some hockey players on the ice halfway through each routine. They could body-check those babes right in the middle of a triple-axel. Now THAT'S something I would pay to watch!
Hkitty383

Weston, MA

#24 Mar 15, 2007
Ida Kurokawa Japan wrote:
Arakawa was not the best .She does not deserve to earn the gold medal.Perhaps if she was given the bronze one it will fit her. She is a very cautious in her skating that she skates slower than any other skaters Ive ever seen.She is not beautiful but that is beside the point she is not good for international level.She was only lucky that night or perhaps the judges were half sleeping!!
No! Shizuka deserved the win! Everyone else showed /had a weak point! Even Shizuka did, but she did not show it! Shizuka TOTALLY deserved the win! You are wrong! Shizuka turned my head in skating. I was rooting for Sasha and Kimmie, but when Shizuka skated, i knew that she was the best! Period!!!

“All MEN ARE VINCIBLE!!!!!!!! !!”

Since: Jan 07

SomeWhere in Georgia

#25 Mar 15, 2007
I have no beef that Arakawa was the rightly winner. I send out kudos to Arakawa! You think my opinions are opposing, just read more opinions on Arakawa win?, as some like to address it. Midori Ito is the one that aspired the Japaneses and Asians pursuing after the GOLD!!!
noel2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what the problem here?? Every skaters had the same minutes on the ice, were seen by the same referees, judged under the same rules, nobody disturbed others' skating... And the gold was given to the highest marked skater. What was so problem with that?? I think the judging system worked much better in torino than the past competitions. If you feel something unsatisfied you should talk to people who made the new rules. Every skaters were (and will be) forced to obey the given system. Obviously they are not to be blamed.

SomeWhere in Georgia

#26 Mar 15, 2007
Hkitty383 wrote:
<quoted text>
No! Shizuka deserved the win! Everyone else showed /had a weak point! Even Shizuka did, but she did not show it! Shizuka TOTALLY deserved the win! You are wrong! Shizuka turned my head in skating. I was rooting for Sasha and Kimmie, but when Shizuka skated, i knew that she was the best! Period!!!
I couldv'e agreed withyou more!!! Irina Slutskaya was not ROBBED, she only CRIED!!! LOL!!!!
Hkitty383

Brookline, MA

#27 Apr 1, 2007
Eddie07 wrote:
<quoted text>I couldv'e agreed withyou more!!! Irina Slutskaya was not ROBBED, she only CRIED!!! LOL!!!!
Thank you very much. Are you a shizuka arakawa fan? I AM TOTALLY!

SomeWhere in Georgia

#28 Apr 1, 2007
Yes, I am an Arakawa's fan. I just love her Ina Bouer's move element! The nerve of some of these bias bloggers that states Shizuka Arakawa did win that GOLD medal. Irina Slutskaya was not ROBBED, but she is a big TIME Russian loser!
Hkitty383 wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you very much. Are you a shizuka arakawa fan? I AM TOTALLY!

SomeWhere in Georgia

#29 Apr 1, 2007
Yes, I am an Arakawa's fan. I just love her Ina Bouer's move element! The nerve of some of these bias bloggers that state Shizuka Arakawa did NOT win that GOLD medal. Irina Slutskaya was not ROBBED, but she is a big TIME Russian loser!
Hkitty383

Brookline, MA

#30 Apr 21, 2007
Eddie07 wrote:
Yes, I am an Arakawa's fan. I just love her Ina Bouer's move element! The nerve of some of these bias bloggers that state Shizuka Arakawa did NOT win that GOLD medal. Irina Slutskaya was not ROBBED, but she is a big TIME Russian loser!
Yeah. totally. shes so beautiful when she does the Ina Bouer
Skating Fan

San Jose, CA

#31 May 16, 2007
If you look at her record in the past to years, you can't help but think that she isn't so much of a skater.

In truth though, once she gets focused and motivated, she's pretty hard to beat. She's quite capable of landing a triple triple, unlike Cohen or Slutskaya. In fact, there's a video on the net of her doing a triple triple triple...
Stephanie

Cambridge, UK

#32 May 31, 2007
My favourite skater, she's just so great. On the ice, her expressions are wonderful. I would have like to see her really execute the hard jump-combos at the Os. But the performance was still great.
leo

Calgary, Canada

#33 Dec 27, 2007
Ida Kurokawa Japan wrote:
Arakawa was not the best .She does not deserve to earn the gold medal.Perhaps if she was given the bronze one it will fit her. She is a very cautious in her skating that she skates slower than any other skaters Ive ever seen.She is not beautiful but that is beside the point she is not good for international level.She was only lucky that night or perhaps the judges were half sleeping!!
She had a world title from 2004, plus numerous grande prix medals and a silver and bronze finish from 2004 and 2003. Let see how many skaters can accompalish this feat (besides kwan, iria, sasha, and fumie). She is not slow and her spiral is way faster than sasha. This is sport and competition. If you rise to the occasion, you win. If you don't, who have to settle for less. Get over it now!
Lucky Arakawa

Los Angeles, CA

#34 May 31, 2013
Arakawa was never a "great" skater, but she was good, and she deserved the gold that night for the only reason that she performed the best among the poor-performing competitors (though this "best," which was only a 5-triple one, would hardly qualify even as a bronze-medal-type performance at any of the recent past Olympics)...
Pixie

Madison, AL

#35 Jan 26, 2015
What is wrong with all of you. When you can do a triple axel, come get me and show me. Then criticize DESERVING Gold Medalist Shizuka Arakawa all you want. I bet all you haters don't know half of the things she did, and at least half of you can't stand up. Sasha flunked up her chances even if she did skate beautifully, Irene was not deservent of the gold because guess what, SHE FLUNKED UP HER CHANCES TOO!

I agree with everyone who is able to see the beauty in Shizuka Arakawa's performance. She skated flawlessly and didn't show her weak points. Like stated above, she held back because there was no reason to be overly competitive when the gold medal had just practically fallen into her hands. I am a big time Shizuka fan, it upsets me to see that almost none of you can see the beauty in her performance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Olympic Winter Games Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Snow sets perfect backdrop for a Jessie Diggins... Apr '18 SnowPhartse 2
News Henrik Lundqvist chooses his knee's health over... Apr '18 ChoosesPhartse 2
News 'The Breadwinner' among early Canadian Screen A... Apr '18 LinkPhartse 2
News Apple worker accused of stealing iPhone on BA f... Mar '18 PlayPhartse 2
News Olympics: Russians win hockey gold with 4-3 OT ... Feb '18 CongratsPhartse 2
News Face it, team figure skating at the Winter Olym... Feb '18 Have phartse 24
News Meet the Designer Behind Shibutani, Knierims' F... Feb '18 MeetPharts 2