Shizuka Arakawa victory: opinions on the athlete and women.

Posted in the Olympic Winter Games Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Luca Marchesi

Milan, Italy

#1 Feb 24, 2006
Shi-chan is a really fantastic athlete and women. Such grace i've never seen in such a competition. I hope she'll keep winning. I studied japanese at the Turin university (the city where i live) and i'm really fond of all comes from Japan, but Shizuka is really outstanding!
What do you think of her?
satomi

San Francisco, CA

#2 Feb 24, 2006
Hi, Luca. That was the first and only medal we got in these games. Holding back all the pressure, she was extremely beautiful. Did you see her in the waiting room, listening to some music? The headphone is the same we have. It cuts off all the noise.
Asad Channa

Japan

#3 Feb 24, 2006
She is elegant.
Wish him all the success ahead in her like
mike

Mountain View, CA

#4 Feb 24, 2006
she was definitely the best skater out there last night... everyone else in contention took a fall (or two :p).
Shizuka Arakawa

Regina, Canada

#5 Feb 28, 2006
wow..she is something... not only she was the best skater, but also the most beautiful.... i just wish we got to see more of her.. and may some tv ads that has her in it...mmmmm
Eddie Terry

Waverly, NE

#6 Feb 28, 2006
Shizuka Arakawa wrote:
wow..she is something... not only she was the best skater, but also the most beautiful.... i just wish we got to see more of her.. and may some tv ads that has her in it...mmmmm
If she is the best, then why does she skate so conservsatively. The was the most conservsatively programs that have won and gold medal, since 1976's winter Olympics. I hope that others will not follow it; with the new judging system, it will probably be done again by Arakawa. Cohen didn't skate conservatively; she just fell and touch down on the ice, without the two mistakes, Sasha had the best program. Cohen was leading perfectly before the free skate. Falling and coming from back is the same things. When Cohen had fallen, Arakawa decided to skate conversatively. I wonder what would have been the results , if she had skated as she planned before Cohen fell,umhm, we will never know.
Stefanya

Littleton, CO

#7 Feb 28, 2006
It was the Russians who won, all those Russian coaches who coach everybody in the world.

Who can get a Russian Coach anyone but Russians. I guess they are too good now to teach their countrymen now that Russians are poor.

Shame on the Russian coaches for leaving Russia and forgetting about the Russian kids. Who cares if Shizuka Arakawa won? I don't. Slutzkaya is still the best. Arakawa is a Japanese medal winner, but she didn't win it with Japanese coaching.

Meanwhile the kids in Russia are deprived, of coaches and end up comming to the US where they are snatched up by other countries to skate for them.

This is an unlevel playing field. I guess Americans and the world don't care as long as they win.

Shame on the Russian coaches for screwing over Russians. Wether it was Shasha Cohan or Shizuka Arakawa or someone else in the world that won., it's most likely because they had the money and the Russian coaches.
Eddie Terry

Waverly, NE

#8 Feb 28, 2006
Stefanya wrote:
It was the Russians who won, all those Russian coaches who coach everybody in the world.

Who can get a Russian Coach anyone but Russians. I guess they are too good now to teach their countrymen now that Russians are poor.

Shame on the Russian coaches for leaving Russia and forgetting about the Russian kids. Who cares if Shizuka Arakawa won? I don't. Slutzkaya is still the best. Arakawa is a Japanese medal winner, but she didn't win it with Japanese coaching.

Meanwhile the kids in Russia are deprived, of coaches and end up comming to the US where they are snatched up by other countries to skate for them.

This is an unlevel playing field. I guess Americans and the world don't care as long as they win.

Shame on the Russian coaches for screwing over Russians. Wether it was Shasha Cohan or Shizuka Arakawa or someone else in the world that won., it's most likely because they had the money and the Russian coaches.
They have no choice in the matter, since the USSR broke a part in 1989. Its economy fail, and the Russian coaches left; they had to survive. Now, countries that were a part of Russia (USSR)like Georiga, is independent and effecting figure skating as well.
Shizuka Arakawa

Regina, Canada

#9 Mar 1, 2006
Eddie Terry wrote:
<quoted text>If she is the best, then why does she skate so conservsatively. The was the most conservsatively programs that have won and gold medal, since 1976's winter Olympics. I hope that others will not follow it; with the new judging system, it will probably be done again by Arakawa. Cohen didn't skate conservatively; she just fell and touch down on the ice, without the two mistakes, Sasha had the best program. Cohen was leading perfectly before the free skate. Falling and coming from back is the same things. When Cohen had fallen, Arakawa decided to skate conversatively. I wonder what would have been the results , if she had skated as she planned before Cohen fell,umhm, we will never know.
let see... you award people that try even though they didn't succeed? you forget that russia skated last and had a lead in point over arakawa. if it was too conservatively skated, she could of lost still. yet even with that program, it was the highest score.. can't be that conservatived. sasha still got silver even though she fell twice. i think she was rewarded. in regard to skating to a different program, who cares.. nobody skated exactly to their program, its what they do and how well they did it. as for arakawa planning it.. who wouldn't? just because cohen fell, doesn't mean arakawa should try something that wasn't needed just so she could mess up and give cohen a chance at gold... if it was a plan..it was a good one at that.
what the big deal

Regina, Canada

#10 Mar 1, 2006
regarding russian coaches.. why do most people leave their homeland? for a better life...sometime...some are forced to. regardless. it ultimately comes down to the athlete. some people that have the money still can't perform. other can..a good example...rocky.
Eddie Terry

Waverly, NE

#11 Mar 1, 2006
Shizuka Arakawa wrote:
<quoted text>

let see... you award people that try even though they didn't succeed? you forget that russia skated last and had a lead in point over arakawa. if it was too conservatively skated, she could of lost still. yet even with that program, it was the highest score.. can't be that conservatived. sasha still got silver even though she fell twice. i think she was rewarded. in regard to skating to a different program, who cares.. nobody skated exactly to their program, its what they do and how well they did it. as for arakawa planning it.. who wouldn't? just because cohen fell, doesn't mean arakawa should try something that wasn't needed just so she could mess up and give cohen a chance at gold... if it was a plan..it was a good one at that.
You have some good point. Yes, Arakawa earned that medal, they all did. You mean Arakawa has fall, if mistakes that is impossible, not her? Only, Cohen falls. Are you thee real Arakawa? I will be so glad when Cohen stops falling, and that is even possible. Every dog has its day.
Eddie Terry

Waverly, NE

#12 Mar 1, 2006
Shizuka Arakawa wrote:
<quoted text>

You have some good points. Yes, Arakawa earned that medal, they all did. You mean Arakawa has fallen, has had mistakes that is impossible, not her? Only, Cohen falls. Are you the real Arakawa? I will be so glad when Cohen stops falling, and that is even possible. Every dog has its day.
Shizuka Arakawa

Regina, Canada

#13 Mar 1, 2006
by the way.. i was rooting for cohen to win... i think she deserve to win, and will win someday.she just need to perform better under pressure. and no, i'm not Shizuka Arakawa..i wish..then i would have a gold medal (to sell on ebay)
Eddie Terry

Waverly, NE

#14 Mar 1, 2006
Shizuka Arakawa wrote:
by the way.. i was rooting for cohen to win... i think she deserve to win, and will win someday.she just need to perform better under pressure. and no, i'm not Shizuka Arakawa..i wish..then i would have a gold medal (to sell on ebay)
I just throught I ask. I agree.
Eddie Terry

Waverly, NE

#15 Mar 1, 2006
what the big deal wrote:
regarding russian coaches.. why do most people leave their homeland? for a better life...sometime...some are forced to. regardless. it ultimately comes down to the athlete. some people that have the money still can't perform. other can..a good example...rocky.
Amen!
Ida Kurokawa Japan

Warabi, Japan

#16 Mar 2, 2006
Arakawa was not the best .She does not deserve to earn the gold medal.Perhaps if she was given the bronze one it will fit her. She is a very cautious in her skating that she skates slower than any other skaters Ive ever seen.She is not beautiful but that is beside the point she is not good for international level.She was only lucky that night or perhaps the judges were half sleeping!!
Eddie Terry

Waverly, NE

#17 Mar 2, 2006
Stefanya wrote:

If these coaches you talking about is of Russian decent, those teaches American skaters, are nationalized citizen; then they are not Russian anymore, they are American as much as those who are borned here. Like many of the people, who are on this forum or blog. They defected good'ole Russia, because they wanted too; like some here in this forum. If Russia is that great, then why leave her? That is two-faced rhetic.
Eddie Terry

Waverly, NE

#18 Mar 2, 2006
Ida Kurokawa Japan wrote:
Arakawa was not the best .She does not deserve to earn the gold medal.Perhaps if she was given the bronze one it will fit her. She is a very cautious in her skating that she skates slower than any other skaters Ive ever seen.She is not beautiful but that is beside the point she is not good for international level.She was only lucky that night or perhaps the judges were half sleeping!!
She performed the best that night and rightfully was declared the winner. That judging was not like the pair skaters of Russia of 2002's Olympics (to whom we owe a contribute to this new judging system).

It was fair. Those Pairs didn't have the dignity to step down and give their gold medals to the Canadian pairs, even when they were found not to be the true winners. The audience agreed and their performance agreed that they was not the winners. That is the only time that gold medals were given that should have been given back, because they didn't deserved them; everyone knows it.

How do we know that this was the only time? I wonder. Maybe, all of those gold medals that the Russians have were simply brought. We may never know.
Eddie

Waverly, NE

#19 Mar 3, 2006
Good for you, Arakawa. You were the only one that skated cleanly, so YOu rightfully deserved the gold medal. The Japanese door has been open. Once again the World was surprised. You will be a force in the Worlds this month too. That's not bad of a job by someone going out of amatuer skating retirement. Once, again, good job!!!
Mark from Idaho

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Mar 3, 2006
mike wrote:
she was definitely the best skater out there last night... everyone else in contention took a fall (or two :p).
The American team should have put Bode Miller on ice skates and sent him out there in lipstick and a dress - heck, he probably would have won!!( Just like he did in skiing )

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Olympic Winter Games Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1980 US Olympic hockey team reunites in Lake Pl... Feb 23 stewart scott 2
US figure skating darling makes racist tweet, a... (Nov '13) Feb 15 Fran 23
Gaskell, Harle win first gold medals of Canada ... Feb 14 Ian 1
Troop hopes Pan Am Games leave a legacy (Nov '13) Feb 14 dot 3
Moscow To Build $230B Bullet Train to Beijing Jan '15 wave 1
Figure skater Meryl Davis does not look human (Feb '10) Dec '14 Chalie 91
Top 10 most tweeted-about Canadian news stories... Dec '14 for community 1
More from around the web