Maori language 'in danger of dying out'

Maori language 'in danger of dying out'

There are 22 comments on the Telegraph.co.uk story from Oct 20, 2010, titled Maori language 'in danger of dying out'. In it, Telegraph.co.uk reports that:

The Maori language is in danger of dying out because of neglect by successive New Zealand governments, a new report has claimed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Telegraph.co.uk.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tweeter

Palmerston North, New Zealand

#1 Oct 20, 2010
Let it die. No great loss.

Since: Nov 08

Auckland

#2 Oct 20, 2010
Certainly not my problem, nor any other non-Maori's.

All with nearly a quarter of a billion per year being spent too. Yet another example of "throwing money at it" achieving nought.

“Educating Utus”

Since: Aug 10

Auckland, New Zealand

#3 Oct 20, 2010
If their language were that precious to them they would pass it on to their children. This is not an issue our government can solve by pouring more of our money at it.
Rare educated Maori

New Zealand

#4 Oct 20, 2010
Who cares, now pass the salt please
Tweeter

Palmerston North, New Zealand

#5 Oct 20, 2010
Rare educated Maori wrote:
Who cares, now pass the salt please
Do I detect sarcasm ? It's up to Maori to keep their language alive. If they don't it will be regulated to mere academia. From what I saw of young Maori being interviewed on TV today they just ain't interested.
Rare educated Maori

New Zealand

#6 Oct 21, 2010
Tweeter wrote:
<quoted text>
Do I detect sarcasm ? It's up to Maori to keep their language alive. If they don't it will be regulated to mere academia. From what I saw of young Maori being interviewed on TV today they just ain't interested.
Read the first 2 words of may post again, slowly and then the last 4 words of your reply

And it that still ain't clear then I cant help you

“False Prophet”

Since: Jan 08

hamilton

#7 Oct 21, 2010
Great link to how to destroy America and western civilisation

Education was one key point.

Take awy education and create a moronic sub class.

The national govt is pursuing this track now.

It will leave a future govt to finish it. cover their butts.

http://objllc.com/howtodestroyamerica.htm
abc

Stoney Creek, Canada

#8 Oct 21, 2010
Big deal, there are too many languages any way. Throughout history languages have 'died'.

“False Prophet”

hamilton

#9 Oct 21, 2010
Te Reo isn't dying.

I hear it spoken all the time.

Just a hype for more finance.

There's more speakers now than ever in the modern era.
beatlesinthebog

New Zealand

#10 Oct 22, 2010
hinamanu wrote:
Te Reo isn't dying.
You maybe able to help here hina. I've just watched the moari news and I reckon that the subtitles don't really convey what's actually being said by interviewees,although I think you're maybe correct on the finance front.....money transcends all languages apparently. Yup,100 million will stop it dying out!!!!!!!!!

.....for a start

“False Prophet”

hamilton

#12 Oct 22, 2010
beatlesinthebog wrote:
<quoted text>You maybe able to help here hina. I've just watched the moari news and I reckon that the subtitles don't really convey what's actually being said by interviewees,although I think you're maybe correct on the finance front.....money transcends all languages apparently. Yup,100 million will stop it dying out!!!!!!!!!
.....for a start
Understand where you're coming from but no the translations are very acurate. Otherwise Maori would be commenting.

Maori isn't spoken as fluently as Indian or Polynesian but there's been no lack of learning.

The govt taking away subsidies for night classes isn't going to help. Butt he govt is completely stripping education to the bone.

Its world wwide trend in the west now. Every govt is announcing changes in down gradding preschool and tertiary learning. They simply can't attack child learning or they will be exposed.

There is definitely a conspircy against education everywhere.

I saw a hall packed with unemployed recently. Middle aged people who done everything right with their lives. Some of the were
PH D's. Others had degrees. I strongly suspect they invested and lost eveything. As in the case of Ed Mcmahon. A multi millionaire who died penniless.

“False Prophet”

hamilton

#13 Oct 22, 2010
btw, if Maori stuck their heads in and communicatred with the Cook island community where they originally came from they would soon be speaking as fluently as the islanders.

If anything, pride comes before a fall and fault is laid at prides feet.
Help eNew Zealand now

Poznan, Poland

#14 Jan 24, 2011
Improve eNew Zealand! Sign up for eRepublik.com and save your country in the virtual world.
http://www.erepublik.com/en/referrer/Bisurman...
real_talk

Dunedin, New Zealand

#15 Jan 24, 2011
hinamanu wrote:
Te Reo isn't dying.
what would you know dumb maori

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#16 Jan 24, 2011
real_talk wrote:
<quoted text>
He could tell you but you could not figure it out anyway. You seem to have a problem with basic reading and comprehension skills. You just misread what I wrote and now you misread what Hina wrote too. He is spot on about a moronic underclass – you may not see it – but it is looking at your every time you look in the mirror.

“False Prophet”

hamilton

#17 Jan 24, 2011
real_talk wrote:
<quoted text>
well I can tell u don't have a degree
beatlesinthebog

New Zealand

#19 Jan 24, 2011
hinamanu wrote:
<quoted text>
well I can tell u don't have a degree
A degree of common-sense maybe?

“False Prophet”

hamilton

#20 Jan 24, 2011
beatlesinthebog wrote:
<quoted text>A degree of common-sense maybe?
Think he lived in 1 degree and had a brain freeze
freeman

Lower Hutt, New Zealand

#21 Jan 24, 2011
Help eNew Zealand now wrote:
Improve eNew Zealand! Sign up for eRepublik.com and save your country in the virtual world.
http://www.erepublik.com/en/referrer/Bisurman...
all republics r eggheads like real_talk hahaha in ur faces
freeman

Lower Hutt, New Zealand

#22 Jan 24, 2011
hinamanu wrote:
<quoted text>
Think he lived in 1 degree and had a brain freeze
Kuz big upz 2 u & da bros keep ur heads up da future is good us Sovereigns & da residence which means da Reo wont die S.L.O

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whangarei, New Zealand Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Instant Weed/Hash and Meds discreet delivery in... May 19 Tourist 1
Where is the Scow Kohi (Jan '12) Jan '16 Lynda Sawyers 25
News Government to spend $330m on 41 new cycleways a... (Jun '15) Jul '15 article 2
aikido intermediate (Mar '15) Mar '15 John 1
News Kiwi fugitives Simone Wright and Paul Bennett a... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Gay Aussie 2
News Act's candidate for Northland by-election named (Feb '15) Feb '15 Laughing Dockers 3
News Cancer patient to regrow lost breast (Mar '14) Feb '15 Keyster 3

Whangarei, New Zealand News

More Whangarei, New Zealand News from Topix »

More from around the web