Underwater Volcanoes Spew Lava Lamp-Like Blobs

Jan 21, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: LiveScience

Like a life-size lava lamp of doom, some underwater volcanoes spit giant lava blobs instead of erupting in explosions, a new study suggests.

Comments
1 - 1 of 1 Comments Last updated Jan 23, 2013

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

Nuneaton

#1 Jan 23, 2013
There is a long history of ancient examples of lava pillows and pumice balloons discovered and characterised in literature.

One such example for instance occurs in the Welsh basin S. of Strumble head in Pembrokeshire in the area just around Pen Brush.

Here a rhyodacite volcano initally erupted pillow lavas which were then followed by pumice balloons followed by pelean block & ash flows as the complex at depth grew into lower water depths and the gas content remained the same. The initial feeding sills also outcrop in the black shales and underlying sediments at greater stratigraphic depth.

The entire complex was then surrounded & overtopped by basaltic pillow lavas during the extension & rifting stage of the Ordovician Welsh backarc basin.

Of interest also was the fact that the Geological society UK blacklisted all UK graduates mapping and explaining this @ Final year mapping project level and all except the right old & ancient chris Cox had PhD projects on it scrubbed from publication, as a result of the deep water eruptions being siscovered to overlie submarine rhyolite ash flow tuff indicating submarine geniune explosive eruptions.(2 ash flows of 2 different rhyolite compositions).

I naturally mapped that as a summer mapping project in my final year @ Aberystwyth in the year that the Thatcherites destroyed the coal mines, the labour party destroyed the EX miners, and the USA traders destroyed the graduate entry to the metals & oil industries.

The resulting graduate blacklist versus geological scientists is ongoing.

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wellington, New Zealand Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hundreds caught by new speed camera Aug 27 hinamanu 1
Wilford Brimley puts Wyoming ranch on market Jun '14 MC MC 2
New Zealanders Pay 'World's Highest Prices' For... Jun '14 hotwifeng24 8
Australia bishop: 'Boat people are real people' Jun '14 True Blue 4
Too Many of Nigeria's Women Are Targets-Not Jus... May '14 Issac1 1
High home prices in New Zealand causing anxiety (Aug '12) May '14 coralyn7 8
A 'Map' Of Smokers Shows How Far Their Influenc... Apr '14 bud_schmones 95
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••