04:27 Containers fall off stricken ship

04:27 Containers fall off stricken ship

There are 26 comments on the Wicklow People story from Oct 11, 2011, titled 04:27 Containers fall off stricken ship. In it, Wicklow People reports that:

The condition of a stricken cargo ship stuck on a reef and leaking oil off the coast of New Zealand worsened on Wednesday, with about 70 containers falling overboard and the vessel moving onto a steeper lean.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Wicklow People.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
art

Toronto, Canada

#1 Oct 11, 2011

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#2 Oct 12, 2011
Someone should have taken the initiative and said OK this is a disaster waiting to happen, bad weather is coming, so we need to act now!

I mean WTF else would be more important to the maritime people than a DISASTER.

It was the same with PIKE RIVER, WTF do the mine safety people do except train for a DISASTER?

An analogy, a tsunami is 100 kms away from NZ and the "experts" say, ahh let's wait and see how bad it gets.

I will never vote for Key after this.
Sword or Jim

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Oct 12, 2011
These days with modern navigational equipment and a port entrance travelled this frequently ,one would have thought that this couldn't happen without gross negligence not just on the captain but crew also ,don't you just put the way points into a autopilot and then monitor the thing?
Let there be Rock

Wellington, New Zealand

#4 Oct 12, 2011
To be fair to Hon. J Key. He cannot run the country, answer THeads & PC Marx's OIA's, worry about Chch & Richie McCaws foot all at the same time! sad to say, but the man is not God!

Hence why we have agencies that have the authority to handle situations like this?!?...in Rena's case Maritime NZ is the authority that should be held accountable & responsible, not Govt.

I mean, isn't that what these Chief Engineers, Master Mariner's, Capt Logistics, Directors get paid the big dollars (from tax payers) for??? Don't they train yearly for situations like this??? if so, WHAT HAPPENED???? besides Peter Dunne nothing!

please explain!

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#5 Oct 13, 2011
John Key will be remembered as the man with the OILY smile.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#6 Oct 13, 2011
There's nothing worse than having a leader with no balls to act.

This is one boat, what if it was a war?

The locals fight it on the beaches but their aint no Churchill to lead them.

Act to help our environment; vote Key out.

Since: Nov 08

Auckland

#7 Oct 13, 2011
Hooner wrote:
Act to help our environment; vote Key out.
Environment matter aside, I'd have to say I agree. But who we going to vote in? First time ever that I'm not quite sure how I'm going to vote.

Although I must say I think Key is getting unfair blame and criticism over a number of issues, including this Rena debacle (I call it debacle - even with a worst case scenario eventuates, I refuse to afford it the title of 'disaster').

BTW, the war comment was a bit fanciful...unless perhaps you're talking something internal, with the natives getting too restless!:)
Billy Bob

Chicago, IL

#8 Oct 13, 2011
this is not political its a accident that needs acting on NOW.
Sword or jim

United States

#9 Oct 13, 2011
Billy Bob wrote:
this is not political its a accident that needs acting on NOW.
I was wondering how this came to be the fault of John Key,maybe I am missing something,despite his faults I would assume that he is not responsible for every aspect of disaster response etc.
beatlesinthebog

New Zealand

#10 Oct 13, 2011
Gutsfull wrote:
<quoted text>
Environment matter aside, I'd have to say I agree. But who we going to vote in? First time ever that I'm not quite sure how I'm going to vote.
Although I must say I think Key is getting unfair blame and criticism over a number of issues, including this Rena debacle (I call it debacle - even with a worst case scenario eventuates, I refuse to afford it the title of 'disaster').
BTW, the war comment was a bit fanciful...unless perhaps you're talking something internal, with the natives getting too restless!:)
The war comment seems rather pertinent in the circumstances...and should point you in the correct direction Gf. "We shall fight it on the beaches"..etc
The right person back in parliament to keep the bullshit artists a 'little more honest',eh?

Either that or...or..the IHNYG may need to get a bit more serious,what?
beatlesinthebog

New Zealand

#11 Oct 13, 2011
Hooner wrote:
John Key will be remembered as the man with the OILY smile.
OILY
"Our Islands' Lost Years"?
Actually,OILY would probably be a good acronym for the man....nothing seems to stick!
meow

Auckland, New Zealand

#12 Oct 13, 2011
The Rena hitting the astrolab reef is a real bummer for the country. Not sure why this is the fault of the PM however, he wasn't driving it. There is no way oil leaked to date from the impact ruptures could be avoided. All that can be done is try remove oil from unruptured parts to minimise enevitable coming fallout. Unfortunitely that process takes time to organise, get in place and complete. The best people and equipment available are on the task, what more is realistically possible to ask for. Certainly not the PM on beach with spade doing photo op helps. He is better focussed in background ensuring departments have appropriate resouces to cope best possible, rather than focusing his precious time giving the country visible progress of him doing so. The difference to most disasters here, is that the damage is not instant and unfolds before everyones eyes. Therefore public have a harder time accepting it, as opposed to other disaster types where damage occurs instantly and is done. My advice, leave it to all those that it is their job, encourage them (not critise), and expect damage ahead. To all people working on this from our leaders to shovel crew, THANK YOU!.
Let there be Rock

Wellington, New Zealand

#13 Oct 13, 2011
Hear!!! Hear!!! well said.
LLO

Tauranga, New Zealand

#14 Oct 15, 2011
meow wrote:
The Rena hitting the astrolab reef is a real bummer for the country. Not sure why this is the fault of the PM however, he wasn't driving it. There is no way oil leaked to date from the impact ruptures could be avoided. All that can be done is try remove oil from unruptured parts to minimise enevitable coming fallout. Unfortunitely that process takes time to organise, get in place and complete. The best people and equipment available are on the task, what more is realistically possible to ask for. Certainly not the PM on beach with spade doing photo op helps. He is better focussed in background ensuring departments have appropriate resouces to cope best possible, rather than focusing his precious time giving the country visible progress of him doing so. The difference to most disasters here, is that the damage is not instant and unfolds before everyones eyes. Therefore public have a harder time accepting it, as opposed to other disaster types where damage occurs instantly and is done. My advice, leave it to all those that it is their job, encourage them (not critise), and expect damage ahead. To all people working on this from our leaders to shovel crew, THANK YOU!.
Someone needs to be held accountable! the shipping owners and the captain & senior officers for starters. This just highlights how useless, non-existence our initial response is to a little oil spill (compared Internationally). Hopefully people in the high offices that have the power to make things happen(before it gets out of hand) have taken note should this happen again. Because I know the Local Launch Operators have.
meow

Auckland, New Zealand

#15 Oct 15, 2011
LLO wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone needs to be held accountable! the shipping owners and the captain & senior officers for starters. This just highlights how useless, non-existence our initial response is to a little oil spill (compared Internationally). Hopefully people in the high offices that have the power to make things happen(before it gets out of hand) have taken note should this happen again. Because I know the Local Launch Operators have.
Agreed, those responsible will be held accountable within what the law permits (altough I wish worse on them). What I see is that some reletively minor charges have now been laid against the 2 most senior crew, this keeps them in custody until further charges can be laid pending full investigation of what happened. The urgent bit (cleanup) seems to be going resonably well, bear in mind oil leaking from impact ruptures seen to date, could not have been avoided. Good progress is being made with containing the bigger potential fallout. I hope the ship company can be made liable by international law for every cent, plus a lot more. It's a shame the ships insurance payout is capped at 14 million, as I see the clean-up costs could easily exceeding that.
beach lover

Auckland, New Zealand

#17 Oct 16, 2011
I believe that the boat was advised that they were
off course, but no response for a long time. When somebody on the boat finally heard the warning he steered the wrong way. They should be liable for all the cost which is coming our way.
I fully agree the above 3 emails.
Thank heaven we have good leaders to try to solve this terrible tragedy. Our Country had a lot of
trouble with Christchurch as well. Let us all stay behind our Goverment. I am glad we have the right man for the job.
Key will get my vote for sure.
meow

Auckland, New Zealand

#18 Oct 17, 2011
beach lover wrote:
I believe that the boat was advised that they were
off course, but no response for a long time. When somebody on the boat finally heard the warning he steered the wrong way. They should be liable for all the cost which is coming our way.
I fully agree the above 3 emails.
Thank heaven we have good leaders to try to solve this terrible tragedy. Our Country had a lot of
trouble with Christchurch as well. Let us all stay behind our Goverment. I am glad we have the right man for the job.
Key will get my vote for sure.
Any country this happened in would have the same scenario, no magic wond exsists anywhere. Nothing else could possibly be done than what is being done, that would make any difference to the outcome we eventually get from the Rena disaster. Shame many people don't relise this, choosing to moan about people and things as their way of dealling with it. Typical kiwi way I spose. Anyway my fingers are crossed for everyone working in it, ministers iuncluded.
Billy Bob

Chicago, IL

#19 Oct 17, 2011
Can someone put up a link for the latest videos? finding it hard to find updated news on this here in the states. Same old thing if it does not affect the USA they don't report on it here.
Let there be Rock

Wellington, New Zealand

#20 Oct 17, 2011
Rain

New Zealand

#21 Oct 18, 2011
All a question of money.
Unfortunately, the environment has to pay for it with it's life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tauranga, New Zealand Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where the Best Weed/hash and meds Found in Taur... (Dec '15) Mar '16 420 Trip 4
Need a loan please Feb '16 Mativa Ropati 1
Do you need an urgent loan? (Aug '13) Nov '15 Tommy Nelson 9
News Strong results achieved for Housing New Zealand... (Oct '15) Oct '15 lezadoll 1
News Government to spend $330m on 41 new cycleways a... (Jun '15) Jul '15 article 2
how to (Jun '15) Jun '15 smelly maori 1
nude pics plz (Apr '15) Apr '15 yom 1
More from around the web