Act Party leader Don Brash targets Maori

Sep 8, 2011 Full story: Bay of Plenty Times 13

Special legal status for Maori should be removed because it is generating resentment and anger amongst many other New Zealanders, Act Party leader Don Brash said in Tauranga on Thursday night.

Read more

Since: May 11

New Zealand

#1 Sep 8, 2011
"Until those fundamental causes are dealt with, Maori will continue to be amongst the poorest, the most socially deprived and the most imprisoned of our society."

Dr Brash said Maori made up 15 per cent of the population but 35 per cent of those on unemployment benefit, 42 per cent of those on Domestic Purposes Benefit and 51 per cent of those in prison. A third of Maori between the ages of 15 and 19 are not in work, education or training.

He said taxpayers should pay compensation whenever it can be established beyond reasonable doubt that the government acted improperly by confiscating or undermining property rights. But Treaty settlements will never solve these appalling Maori social statistics.

Dr Brash suggested a reform of the education system, the reintroduction of a lower youth minimum wage, a resolution of the problem of communal ownership of Maori land, reform of the welfare system, and an acceptance by Maori leadership that Maori attitudes themselves need to change.

He finished his hard-hitting speech by supporting the All Blacks who today launch their bid to win the Rugby World Cup.

"The All Blacks are made up of players of European, Maori and Pacific Island descent. They all share a common goal, to win for New Zealand. On the field they are equals.

"That's the goal we must aspire to - one nation of many peoples, all equal before the law," Dr Brash said.

New Zealand

#2 Sep 8, 2011
Mr Brash I think has something up his sleeve not for Maori but for John Key AND the maori party.

Brash being brash?

I think the above extract of the article represents SOME truths in the matter of maori, not necessarily the quoted statistics but the fact that these ARE issues of maori. We can not go around finger pointing "oh they do it too" "oh look at them" we are too far into it for these poor excuses to be valid any longer "they have it easier"

We always try to tread lightly when maori address maori issues "what can you do for maori" is not the issue, it is "what can maori do for themselves" and we have the more petty things resolved with the emphasis on whanganui etc etc

The word "target" in this issue is to imply that maori are a victim when it should be renamed the tackling of maori issues.

I do agree if the treaty issues were settled it would not change anything for maori born into this modern society the social issues will still remain the same as settlements in the treaty will not apply to a high percentage of the maori population.

But just watch out for the news there will be more raced based issues to push the kiwis more in favour of mr brash's desires.

Watching the news doesn't necessarily mean informed, it just means receiving the information they want YOU to hear.

Some people take news as if it were set in stone as if there were laws saying that news reporters cant do this and that and they have to tell the truth. The question is whose truth are they telling?
Adam Rangiaho

Hamilton, New Zealand

#3 Sep 8, 2011
Erana Monika wrote:
"That's the goal we must aspire to - one nation of many peoples, all equal before the law," Dr Brash said.
i can think of much better things to aspire to than laws. id rather aspire to world peace, free food and power, ending conflicts.....

as for his comments on maori communal land laws, again, just hot air. this area already shows just how oppressive the current land laws are for maori. to bring these laws into line with nz land laws is where his korero falls down. 1st of all, all laws pertaining to maori land ARE nz laws. that is, they are not maori laws, there is nothing maori about any of them. they were designed a hundred years ago to alienate maori from their lands and to ensure they did NOT have the right to vote. if there were NO maoris living on a block at any time the land could be and was taken from the tribe....and if a maori did not have sole rights to land, they were also not allowed to vote. it didnt matter anyway because maori who were allowed to vote, could only vote in one of 4 maori seats. the problem was of course, that there were 60 seats at the time.....maori could not vote in the other 56 seats, even if they lived in the electorate.

very sad, and how can you ever compensate for that sort of loss of power???????...how do you now say maori have got special laws, when its quite clear the special laws have been the maoris downfall, and now that we have fallen as far as we can, we are blamed and made to feel bad cause someone else wrote laws for us that put us in the gutter....kept us there for a very long time.

strange that this man has to associate maori and crime/law. why did he have to single out just maori....why did he not say we are going to fight non maori crime too.....the 49% of crimes the maoris have nuttin to do with? no, this is a maoris only issue. and the issue is, our lands are invaded and oppressed with laws and the use of force. tuhoe signed no treaty and ceded no mana. we gave the nz govt NO mandate to rule in tuhoe lands....

New Zealand

#4 Sep 8, 2011
That's the goal we must aspire to - one nation of many peoples, all equal before the law

I was quite afraid of this quote here but i did not want to subtract it to appear too biased. More so afraid of the possible global application of this quote.

He has highlighted yet again amongst other statistics "how maori contribute to NZ society" ok ok people are good at counting recorded information so on and so forth.

i believe that we are hardheaded and stubborn and that is how we have held onto our culture despite the changes of aotearoa, the merging of other cultures within new zealand, and the alienation of our culture from our european descended kiwi's, who i seem to think that they think it is our culture that is holding us back and causing all these statistics.

What i really want from maori, being a maori myself is active progress toward a solution.

Maori youth programmes are fine, but what happens when they go home and their parents don't understand the value of what they have learnt and dismiss it as rubbish?

Maori youth shouldnt be the only ones targeted for improvement if anything i think it could possibly have an opposite effect? Please enlighten me if i have this wrong but it would be like me telling my brother who has never gotten into any mischief and saying hey im going to put you on a course to stop you being like those police 10/7 people? the maori youth that are targeted are the troubled youth right?

I am just saying that the main source of environment for the household is the parents themselves. The parents should be the main target.

For instance stop feeding your young children pies and a can of coke for breakfast for crying out loud!

We need to approach this hard! if theyre on the dpb with no way of having a job in the near future the parenting courses should start there!

16yo shouldn't be able to leave school without a continuing path say like uni/tech or a secure full time employment. easier said than done with the cost of school but winstons idea of sending em to bootcamp is a great idea.

We need to be more aggressive in our approach to maori issues. to offer them in passivity should no longer be an option and is a waste of funds. The maori mind should be kept active positively.

Since: Nov 08

Auckland

#5 Sep 8, 2011
Crikey, Don Brash is not leading a charge by a white supremacist group.

Why can't people get it through their heads that "Special legal status for Maori should be removed because it is generating resentment and anger amongst many other New Zealanders" does not amount to racism. It's a call IN FAVOUR of equality, and is a fairly middle of the road statement.

And if Maori can't accept that, then THEY are the racist ones.
Tyler Durden

Tauranga, New Zealand

#6 Sep 8, 2011
Gutsfull wrote:
Crikey, Don Brash is not leading a charge by a white supremacist group.
Why can't people get it through their heads that "Special legal status for Maori should be removed because it is generating resentment and anger amongst many other New Zealanders" does not amount to racism. It's a call IN FAVOUR of equality, and is a fairly middle of the road statement.
And if Maori can't accept that, then THEY are the racist ones.
The current system of "special legal status for maori" is racist as hell.
Don is battling against this racism.

“Educating Utus”

Since: Aug 10

Wanganui, New Zealand

#7 Sep 8, 2011
Brash is branded a racist when his agenda is equal rights for all races. Maori activists are the ugly face of racism in NZ.
Tyler Durden

Tauranga, New Zealand

#8 Sep 8, 2011
Comes down to these rules again.

Racism is totally unacceptable.....except when directed at whites.

Only white race based parties are racist.

Everything is the fault of whites.

Only whites can be racist.

Any criticism of these Rules by whites is Racist.

Any complaints by whites, is Racist.

I guess you could say Don is complaining about these rules therefore he is racist.

New Zealand

#9 Sep 8, 2011
who is saying that he is racist?

“LEX TALIONIS”

Since: Jul 09

Auckland, New Zealand

#10 Sep 8, 2011
Erana Monika wrote:
who is saying that he is racist?
Wait till you meet Adam's dad- Mario Gay.

“LEX TALIONIS”

Since: Jul 09

Auckland, New Zealand

#11 Sep 8, 2011
Adam Rangiaho wrote:
<quoted text>
how can you ever compensate for that sort of loss of power???????
I think being dragged out of the stone age into the modern era was a fairly good deal. To top it off you have also had loads of hand outs, a huge grab at the welfare system and your favourite snack of KFC.
Honky Killa

Invercargill, New Zealand

#12 Sep 9, 2011
Tyler Durden wrote:
Comes down to these rules again.
Racism is totally unacceptable.....except when directed at whites.
Only white race based parties are racist.
Everything is the fault of whites.
Only whites can be racist.
Any criticism of these Rules by whites is Racist.
Any complaints by whites, is Racist.
I guess you could say Don is complaining about these rules therefore he is racist.
I guess you could also say your pulling the race card again
Adam Rangiaho

Hamilton, New Zealand

#13 Sep 11, 2011
Erana Monika wrote:
That's the goal we must aspire to - one nation of many peoples, all equal before the law...
it sounds nice, and i for one would agree with you......however, whos law are we going to follow? tuhoe, for example, do not want to be subject to anyone else's laws. nz govt laws are imposed on us...have been since 1890's.

why do you think tuhoe should be made to conform to nz govt rules, when everything we have ever done, since the arrival of tauiwi, has been done to ensure tuhoe remain an independent nation? we never signed treaties, ceded no sovereignty, made NO arrangements for the nz govt to rule us, and went to war over it. after all of these actions against the nz govt we were left alone AND had our "laws" and our right to make them acknowledged by the nz govt of the time.......then all of a sudden, maungapohatu is raided, people shot and maori cities broken up. then in 2007 they do it again......
your statement about one law for all sounds fine on the surface, but tuhoe is a nation in its own right. we are a nation of tuhoe, we have been this way since the 1400's.
we have NEVER given up, we have NEVER surrendered and, we never will.

all nz govt law in tuhoe is imposed. why do you think we should remain a nation oppressed in such a way? what gave the nz govt the right to claim the lands and place laws on them with out the express wishes or permission of the owners....ie tuhoe whanau, hapu and iwi? you cant say treaty, you cant say war, you cant say surrender...... how would you justify the imposition of foreign laws on a nation who dont want them at all? thats not to say we dont want some sort of law and order, we want our own laws, made by us for us,....one law for all, maori law.....
Erana Monika wrote:
and the alienation of our culture from our european descended kiwi's, who i seem to think that they think it is our culture that is holding us back and causing all these statistics.
What i really want from maori, being a maori myself is active progress toward a solution.
we have been working at a solution since 1865 at least. war never solved it, talking never solved it, protest never solved it, closing borders never solved it. going to the UN and winning never solved it, lobbying never solved it, MMP never solved it, talking on topix, waste of time......the nz govt could solve it over night, if they wanted to. so why dont they ?
Erana Monika wrote:
Maori youth programmes are fine, but what happens when they go home and their parents don't understand the value of what they have learnt and dismiss it as rubbish?
ive posted about this before and i was awarded a staggering 40 negative judgements......lol... i have worked in residential settings where the whole family unit is worked on, as opposed to singling out one factor. it works very well. the only problems are, its very expensive and the funders cant measure the long term gains in terms of $, so these kinds of institutions remain underutilized and or underfunded. there is no better way to fix a dysfunctional family than to work on the unit as a whole. powerful. you are right, sometimes working on just the kid wont work because its the family as a whole who needs help.
Erana Monika wrote:
The maori mind should be kept active positively.
of course.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tauranga, New Zealand Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kiwi drug accused Tony de Malmanche 'at real ri... Jan '15 Beastly 2
News Teacher stabbed at Te Puke High School (May '10) Jan '15 facts only 26
News New Zealand's Christmas Bethlehem baby Dec '14 Torqueing Heads 5
News New Zealand reader finds 1944 story of his war ... Dec '14 idi amin livinabin 2
Do you need an urgent loan? (Aug '13) Dec '14 Iamstu Pid 7
News Second man charged over stabbing Dec '14 PC Undercover 1
News Former Ac/DC drummer Phil Rudd risked arrest in... Nov '14 Xstains In Name Only 1
More from around the web