Property prices 'flat' in NZ

Apr 11, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Age

Residential property prices in New Zealand flattened in the past few months and are even easing back in many areas, latest figures from property valuation company QV indicate.

Comments
1 - 3 of 3 Comments Last updated Apr 14, 2010
Crow1990

Auckland, New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2010

Easing back my @$$. Over-priced rubbish the lot of them houses. A good insulated house, not built on a cheap wooden frame, which would rot in 2 years, would cost $800,000+ anywhere in NZ (not just Auckland).
The best house that you can own is a brick house. And not some shed made out of cardboard.
SpinelessKiwi

Tauranga, New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2010

Couldn't agree more with ya. Houses in NZ are a joke at best.
Crappy built and a rip off in the pocket. Built my house with brick and mortar and designed every aspect with a UK company.

Its warn in winter, cool in summer. Got all the designs drawn up faster in the UK than what any Kiwi company could offer and it cost the same. Only catch was to provide the Poms with the endless dumb kiwi standards that they had to design into the plans (had the Poms really shaking their head on that one)
rimpopper

Umina, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Yep, most NZ housing built since the second world war war are utter crud. They were built with cheap and nasty materials and most haven't been maintained and are now utter dumps. And NZ would have to have the most overvalued property market in the world, and it's ruining the economy and country as a whole. You really only have to spend time in another developed nation to realise it.

Most of the housing built before the war is of a standard noticeably better. Even with the older technology and more limited access to materials they just did a better job designing and building them. It's not just the native hardwoods either. I recko it might have more to do with British and European immigrants having more of a say in urban design and standards.

They used to have the excuse that timber was more earthquake resistant and that bricks were more expensive, but that doesn't hold true anymore. The builders are allowed a license to kill and most Kiwis are accustomed to living in crap accommodation.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Rotorua, New Zealand Discussions

Search the Rotorua, New Zealand Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Pardoned at last: Chief cleared of 1865 murder Jun '14 Kumara fan 2
NZ Mana party leader upbeat on Dotcom link Apr '14 joker 2
Explore New Zealand's Thermal Wonderland - Rotorua Apr '14 Sanjay Apoopinmapants 2
New Zealand's top destinations revealed Mar '14 Muslim Mom 2
The Cubans are coming to Rotoura Feb '14 Chris Kyle 1
Taurua's husband found guilty of DoC land charges (Jan '14) Jan '14 Confiscate their lodge 2
Man jailed for bashing French tourists (Jan '14) Jan '14 point out the obvious 6
•••
•••