Bats bombard Rotorua men

Feb 1, 2009 Full story: The New Zealand Herald 14

Gotham City move over, Rotorua can now lay claim to a couple of real batmen. In a scene almost straight from the DC comic, two men were bombarded by hundreds of bats in the early hours of this morning.

Full Story

“STOP! Who Goes There? LOL!”

Since: Dec 08

Te pito te henua, .. RAPA NUI

#1 Feb 1, 2009
wow! that is quite amazing. somehow it may just be an indication that there is something that has caused these bats to migrate to the city. perhaps an environmentally sensitive shift in balance with their natural habitat. it could also be climate change, competition or lack of natural food source,breeding habits that has contributed to this geograhpical change or location? who knows what else?
i sure would like to know more about what has contributed to this unusual aggressive behavior and migration to the city limits.
interesting!!

Since: Nov 08

Auckland

#2 Feb 2, 2009
Original Babe wrote:
wow! that is quite amazing. somehow it may just be an indication that there is something that has caused these bats to migrate to the city. perhaps an environmentally sensitive shift in balance with their natural habitat. it could also be climate change, competition or lack of natural food source,breeding habits that has contributed to this geograhpical change or location? who knows what else?
i sure would like to know more about what has contributed to this unusual aggressive behavior and migration to the city limits.
interesting!!
There was a documentary thing on TV just this weekend showing animas that have taken up residence in the big cities. You should have seen the bats that were hanging out in New York (I think it was NY). Thousands and thousands, I tell ya!

And it was all for the easy food.

Auckland

#3 Feb 2, 2009
*animals that have taken up residency.

“TIGRESS,SCORPION ,PHOENIX”

Location hidden

#4 Feb 2, 2009
Bats in the city? Now that sounds quite unusual indeed! It seems like the bats have headed where there could be a guaranteed food source, if they are being pushed out of their natural habitat or environment and have moved towards the cities or the fringes of human habitation.

Hmmmmm sounds like a good time to throw a bat on the Bar-B...LOL!
I would say that bats are a great food source,and have always been. Kinda too exotic for some people's tastes lol. But I think these are the small fruit bat species not the larger flying fox species of bats which are indeed delicious. A taste that has to be acquired lol. Instead of hunting them in the wild, imagine hunting them in the concrete jungle.
Tweeter

Japan

#5 Feb 2, 2009
Masina wrote:
Bats in the city? Now that sounds quite unusual indeed! It seems like the bats have headed where there could be a guaranteed food source, if they are being pushed out of their natural habitat or environment and have moved towards the cities or the fringes of human habitation.
Hmmmmm sounds like a good time to throw a bat on the Bar-B...LOL!
I would say that bats are a great food source,and have always been. Kinda too exotic for some people's tastes lol. But I think these are the small fruit bat species not the larger flying fox species of bats which are indeed delicious. A taste that has to be acquired lol. Instead of hunting them in the wild, imagine hunting them in the concrete jungle.
Brisbane Australia is full of fruit bats .The huge large ones.

Location hidden

#6 Feb 2, 2009
Tweeter wrote:
<quoted text>
Dont even start Tweeter! Knowing your modus operandi, that is some form of doublespeak..double talk and meaning hidden in there. You're not funny AT ALL. I've never heard of that, and you are just making that up.

Auckland

#7 Feb 2, 2009
Stop it right now, you two!

Location hidden

#8 Feb 2, 2009
Tweeter wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW Tweetz the story is about bats in Rotorua in Aoteroa NZ, not Brisbane Australia.

Since: Jul 08

Mars

#9 Feb 2, 2009
Masina wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW Tweetz the story is about bats in Rotorua in Aoteroa NZ, not Brisbane Australia.
You said bats in the city ( Meaning a city )!!

have a read of this.

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/stories/s195...

Since: Jul 08

Mars

#10 Feb 2, 2009

Auckland

#11 Feb 2, 2009
Tweeter wrote:
<quoted text>
have a read of this.
Good on you Tweeter - wasn't sure, mind, but I didn't think your post had a facetious tone to it. Although they do sometimes!

Perhaps this is an indication of a truce between you guys?

What do you reckon, Masina?

Location hidden

#12 Feb 3, 2009
Tweeter wrote:
<quoted text>
have a read of this.
Sorry Tweeter, it wasnt fair of me to assume that you had ill intentions in mind by your post. I wasnt sure and reacted out of context. Didnt know that this was a major problem in Australia back in 2000. Count me informed and duly served a piece of humble pie. Please accept my apologies.

Location hidden

#13 Feb 3, 2009
Gutsfull wrote:
<quoted text>
Good on you Tweeter - wasn't sure, mind, but I didn't think your post had a facetious tone to it. Although they do sometimes!
Perhaps this is an indication of a truce between you guys?
What do you reckon, Masina?
Well G, it seems that I skipped down memory lane a bit too quickly, without giving Tweeter the benefit of the doubt. Okay, I'll put my poison arrows back in its quiver...shame on me. A bit embarassing though that I had my claws out a bit as well...unnecessarily lol.
I am all for a truce.
Thanks for the levelheaded approach G!

Auckland

#14 Feb 3, 2009
Masina wrote:
<quoted text>
Well G, it seems that I skipped down memory lane a bit too quickly, without giving Tweeter the benefit of the doubt. Okay, I'll put my poison arrows back in its quiver...shame on me. A bit embarassing though that I had my claws out a bit as well...unnecessarily lol.
I am all for a truce.
Thanks for the levelheaded approach G!
Glad to lend an objective viewpoint, my old mate.

I have met some pretty cool people on here and it saddens me to see infighting between people I count as being on the "same side" of all the lunacy in our world....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rotorua, New Zealand Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Teen who fatally stabbed man not guilty of murder (Aug '09) Jan '15 northland sess 33
Rotorua Music Thread Jan '15 Musikologist 1
New Zealanders invited to visit national treasure Dec '14 spankyham 5
Hearing 'medical miracle' Nov '14 cha 1
Pardoned at last: Chief cleared of 1865 murder (Jun '14) Nov '14 Murray 10
The long way home Nov '14 Proud Traitor 3
Man faces historical sex charges Oct '14 NZ child molester... 1
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:36 pm PST