Schools' mental-health drive improves...

Schools' mental-health drive improves behaviour

There are 2 comments on the story from Apr 13, 2012, titled Schools' mental-health drive improves behaviour. In it, reports that:

POSITIVE RESULT: A pilot programme at two Napier schools has helped Corbin Exeter, 11, right, who has suffered anxiety issues, to settle down and gain in confidence at school.

Join the discussion below, or

Since: May 11

New Zealand

#1 Apr 13, 2012
Pharmac figures showing prescriptions for some mood-stabilising drugs have almost doubled in the past five years.

i know this maybe a good idea to help get these children back on their feet but i do not agree that it be used in conjunction with the drugs, it should be used as a means to try and get these kids to function on their own.

isnt something abit fishy with these figures? doubling figures in NZ?

if i am against teens trying dope then i am against children taking "prescribed" mood altering drugs?

obviously there needs to be a pattern established in the homes of these children. is it overstimulation in their home environment, are perhaps their mothers unhealthy? hmm if the figures have doubled in the past lets look at what has been introduced in the homes of these children. it could well be just lazy parenting.

lets look at the medical side of things too. if every single person in this country were healthy what happens to the medical and pharmaceutical companies all those people who invested years into their quals? there will no longer be a demand for them.

they need sick people they need to add these new sicknesses in.

i would love to see the statistics for the diagnosis for all children that have been diagnosed with ADD ADHD in western vs eastern nations and look in the areas of:

technology in the home tvs video games
technology exposure such as cellphone towers, internet connection and so on
new additives in baby formulas and other foods
materialism as to how many toys they own
time comparison for how much the parents spend time with their children

this is important because it is just plain weird to have kids on DRUGS at such a young age. i bet you if i took a dose of those PRESCRIBED mood altering drugs it would have an effect on me and i am a woman; just imagine how it will be for your children with under-developed minds- i do not understand why parents are ready to resort to these drugs-

what will be the long term effects?
will they ever be able to get off it?
is this a gateway to using other drugs?

it seems unethical and while i do not support mood altering drugs- just think about that.. that seems to be one of the largest social problems in western nations- drugs alcohol they seem to alter the mood and affect your sense of judgement somewhat? so i am against giving kids drugs!

i am however not against the programmes they are introducing to help children cope and become resilient with their illnesses

Since: Aug 11

Auckland, New Zealand

#3 Apr 15, 2012
Absolutely interesting. Congratulation must go to the schools in Napier.
The end result will be positive and I hope more schools take notice and study the results.

Barrie Herlihy JP

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hawke's Bay, New Zealand Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man charged over shooting of Hell's Angels gang... (Mar '07) Sep '16 Rotorua 4,200
News 'Widespread' vomiting and diarrhoea gastro outb... Aug '16 Dierdre 1
News Regulator takes issue with penalty charge for s... (Apr '16) Apr '16 Solarman 3
Live in Napier? Do natural hazard survey & ente... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Jovana36 1
News Government to spend $330m on 41 new cycleways a... (Jun '15) Jul '15 article 2
News Forest & Bird wins Ruataniwha appeal (Dec '14) Jan '15 yep 6
News TimberNook New Zealand to Launch Children's Out... (Dec '14) Dec '14 jeffry 1
More from around the web