Custody after death of Napier 5-yr-old

Custody after death of Napier 5-yr-old

There are 11 comments on the Hawkes Bay Today story from Dec 21, 2010, titled Custody after death of Napier 5-yr-old. In it, Hawkes Bay Today reports that:

ASSAULT CHARGE: Police lead the 24-year-old man, who has name suppression, out of the Napier police station.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hawkes Bay Today.

Shell

Auckland, New Zealand

#1 Dec 21, 2010
And on it goes..wonder how many more children will suffer when "P" and booze and christ knows what else.. you only have to look at the bastards to realise that
A: Sew her vagina up
B: Cut the cock off the other one
String the bastards up! i am sick of paying for the fuc.ers in prison (suppose at least they didn't waste any of my money on any education)
qdup

Waikanae, New Zealand

#2 Jan 6, 2011
BULLET TO HEAD BANG BANG BANG X2 i wouldnt have a problem doing this

Since: Dec 09

Dunedin, New Zealand

#3 Jan 6, 2011
BABY Bashing...This must be a new Trend in NZ...

“Educating Utus”

Since: Aug 10

Auckland, New Zealand

#6 Jan 7, 2011
The liberal pillow biters want his identity kept secret, Kerry Charles Ratana 24 of Wanganui oops!
Tracey

Lower Hutt, New Zealand

#8 Jan 8, 2011
Shell wrote:
And on it goes..wonder how many more children will suffer when "P" and booze and christ knows what else.. you only have to look at the bastards to realise that
B: Cut the cock off the other one
String the bastards up! i am sick of paying for the fuc.ers in prison (suppose at least they didn't waste any of my money on any education)
I couldnt agree with you more! I hope the poor wee girls mother Chantally Baker is charged aswell... the killer (stepfather) had a violent history which she was aware of and from what Iv herd the mother is no better in the anger department.
I hope justice is served on both of them
Tina and Josh

Napier, New Zealand

#9 Jan 9, 2011
Our country needs harsher penalties for usless parents!
Tammy

Napier, New Zealand

#11 Jan 9, 2011
My husband and I are trying to have a baby. and it upsets me to hear these bloody breeding machine MOTHERS donot do enough, if anything to protect the little ones they have and yet they are allowed to keep breeding like there is no tomorrow.
Just give them a bottle of beer then there legs go v shaped.
Like Shell from Nelson said
B: Cut the cock off the other one.....(so true bro)that is the short version for these fcukn a@@hole parents!
Putting them in prison is going to do jack shyte!
Paora

Christchurch, New Zealand

#12 Jan 10, 2011
Google kerrys name and you will see he has been recently given a chance. Bad move, he will get what he deserves, the real dad of the 5yr old has just been released from jail. aroha to the baby, lock up kerry for a long time, I know him well, its the only way he will learn.
lock her up as well

Rowville, Australia

#15 Oct 25, 2011
this poor lil girls life was over way before the step dad came along. lock the mother up as well.

Mum admits assault on daughter | Manawatu-Wanganui News | Local News in Manawatu-Wanganui Home News Mum admits assault on daughter
By Court Reporter | Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:00

Wanganui District Court

File The mother of Sahara Jayde Baker-Koro has admitted assaulting her daughter just days before the 5-year-old was killed.

Chantally Raelene Baker, 28, appeared in the Whanganui District Court yesterday and admitted a charge of assaulting a child, her daughter Sahara.

The charge related to a period from February 1, 2008 to December 20, 2010.

Former Wanganui man Kerry Charles Ratana appeared in the Napier District Court in July and admitted Sahara's manslaughter days before Christmas last year in Napier. He has Denied a charge of sexual violation by rape and is set to be tried on that charge next month.

Baker told Judge Lindsay Moore that she wanted to represent herself: "I don't want a lawyer. I want to do this myself and get it over with today. I am pleading guilty."

Judge Moore said a lawyer could be assigned to her quickly.

But Baker was adamant, saying she needed to get back to Napier as soon as possible because she was a witness at Ratana's trial in three weeks ... "the man who killed my baby".

"I need to get this over and done with please," she said.

The police summary the court heard was that Baker had slapped Sahara on her hands, legs, back, head and bottom. Baker had kicked the girl as well, the court was told.

Baker had argued with her daughter on a daily basis and called her names the court was told
NO DNA FOUND

Australia

#16 Nov 6, 2011
Swabs taken from a five-year-old girl allegedly raped by a Napier man did not reveal any DNA material from the accused, a jury was told today in the High Court at Napier.
Former Wanganui man, Kerry Charles Ratana, 25, a food processor, is facing a charge of sexually violating Sahara Jayde Baker-Koro, 5, on or about December 20 last year.
He has already admitted manslaughter causing the girl's death and is awaiting sentence for that conviction. He today entered a not guilty plea to the charge of sexual violation.
Justice Simon France told jurors that they should not let their feelings about Ratana's role in the child's death influence their deliberations on the sexual violation charge.
Crown Prosecutor Clayton Walker said Ratana had been left at home with his partner's three children, aged seven, five and three, on December 20 while their mother, Chantally Raelene Baker, went to work.
Two of the children, including the deceased girl, were not fathered by Ratana and were effectively his stepdaughters, he said.
When Ms Baker came home from work about 10.30pm, Ratana was on a settee watching television in the lounge with one of the children asleep on a mattress on the floor. Sahara and one of the other girls were in their shared bedroom.
Sahara was already dead at that time but Ratana did not say anything to his partner, Mr Walker said.
Ms Baker cooked herself a meal and decided to sleep on the mattress in the lounge. Ratana went to their bedroom and later in the night took a cellphone call from his father.
Ms Baker would testify she heard Ratana crying on the phone outside the house and telling his father he'd done something bad, Mr Walker said.
Ms Baker asked Ratana what was wrong but he did not answer. She went into the girls' bedroom and found Sahara's body, which was cold.
Ms Baker claimed she screamed at Ratana, asking him what he'd done and that he replied: "I raped her I'm sorry", Mr Walker said.
A group in the public gallery of the court then left abruptly.
In a subsequence interview with the police, Ratana admitted he'd put Sahara on the floor in her room and pressed down forcefully on her chest "to shut her up". He denied telling his partner that he had raped the child.
Defence counsel John Rowan QC told jurors that material from swabs taken from the child's genital area showed traces of a foreign DNA in areas close to bruising in that area, but those traces could not have come from Ratana.
The swab examinations found no male DNA in the girl's genital area, he said.
Ad Feedback The trial was expected to take four days.
sharon

Adelaide, Australia

#17 Nov 22, 2011
what the hell is goin on in the world with child youth and family?does the mother of this child still have custody of her other two children?well she shouldnt she should be in jail aswell,for her stupidity and selfishness to protect her children.cyfs was involved with her when this child was a baby why has it not been used against her because cyfs did not do there job properly.the justice system is fd and has let her mother get away with murder i wonder how many more kids have to die by there parents or step parents hands before they get brought to be accountable for their actions.she had been assaulted just days before her death by her mother then killed by her stepfather?or is he covering for her who knows.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hawke's Bay, New Zealand Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where to get Top Quality Hash / Wee d / Meds in... Thu Franko 1
News Man charged over shooting of Hell's Angels gang... (Mar '07) Thu OLDSKOOL_ORIGINAL 4,204
Where to get Quality Weed / Meds in Hawke's Bay Thu Nimrod 2
Where to get Top Quality Meds / Hash / Wee d in... Dec 1 Malcom 1
420? in Hawke's Bay Nov 21 Huggins 2
News 'Widespread' vomiting and diarrhoea gastro outb... Aug '16 Dierdre 1
News Regulator takes issue with penalty charge for s... (Apr '16) Apr '16 Solarman 3
More from around the web