One Dead, One Missing In Long Beach D...

One Dead, One Missing In Long Beach Drowning

There are 23 comments on the WNBC New York story from Jul 25, 2008, titled One Dead, One Missing In Long Beach Drowning. In it, WNBC New York reports that:

Authorities said Friday they were searching for an 18-year-old who was missing after going swimming off Long Beach with his friend.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WNBC New York.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
JDM

Jersey City, NJ

#1 Jul 26, 2008
what are their names? have they been identified?
Patsy

Rockville Centre, NY

#2 Jul 26, 2008
if you notice the two swimmers were swimming around 6pm, after the lifeguards went home. People just don't understand that the currents of the ocean can be so rough and that lifeguards are there TO SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!!!!! DON'T SWIM WITHOUT LIFEGUARDS!!!!!!!!!!
Zaira Hasan

Parsippany, NJ

#3 Jul 26, 2008
I kno those kids.

WE got da call last night at 11:30 PM. My parents went 2 long beach and then their house.

Its so sad cuz I KNO THESE PEOPLE!!!!!
Long Beach

Mahwah, NJ

#4 Jul 26, 2008
I watched the efforts of the Long Beach Lifeguard on Friday an it was heart renching. To see those lifeguard form a human chain was a sigh to be seen.

I can't image why anyone would go into the ocean when there are no lifeguards on duty to protect them is beyond my comprehenion. I don't understand how anyone can go into the ocean with no one there to watch over them.
shelly

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Jul 27, 2008
The beach is negligent in not enforcing any rules and regulations. It is my understanding that these people were playing football. There should be no football playing at the beach at any time. If that's what you want to do, go to the park. in addition, keep police patrols at the beach until dark during the summer.
Jacqueline P

Reading, PA

#6 Jul 27, 2008
I would like to send money to the NYC Fireman who drowned at Lake Tahoe. I haven't heard or read of a fund yet for this Brave mans children. PLEASE let us know.
sue

AOL

#7 Jul 27, 2008
shelly..the beach is not negligent..the people who choose to go into the waters when the lifeguards are gone...swim at their own risk...we need to stop blaming everyone else!
kee

East Northport, NY

#8 Jul 27, 2008
The missing guy was my classmate and friend. He was a smart and kind person. I imagine he was just having a good time with his cousin .. no one expected this to happen. His dear friends and family are still praying for him and his safety, as we all are ..
rip, my friend
Captain Kirk

Croton On Hudson, NY

#9 Jul 27, 2008
shelly wrote:
The beach is negligent in not enforcing any rules and regulations. It is my understanding that these people were playing football. There should be no football playing at the beach at any time. If that's what you want to do, go to the park. in addition, keep police patrols at the beach until dark during the summer.
Absolutely NO Negligence here. When people swim after hours they are taking a self-imposed risk.
FYI the police do patrol the beach all night long. Signs are posted after 6pm No Lifegaurds are on Duty.
asdfghjkl

Riverside, CT

#10 Jul 28, 2008
omg that is so sad ino who was there with the drowners
Mark David Chapman

Buffalo, NY

#11 Jul 28, 2008
Zaira Hasan wrote:
I kno those kids.
WE got da call last night at 11:30 PM. My parents went 2 long beach and then their house.
Its so sad cuz I KNO THESE PEOPLE!!!!!
Did you know them well enough to know they were dumbasses?
Mark David Chapman

Buffalo, NY

#12 Jul 28, 2008
Long Beach wrote:
I watched the efforts of the Long Beach Lifeguard on Friday an it was heart renching. To see those lifeguard form a human chain was a sigh to be seen.
I can't image why anyone would go into the ocean when there are no lifeguards on duty to protect them is beyond my comprehenion. I don't understand how anyone can go into the ocean with no one there to watch over them.
They formed a daisy chain? Right on the beach? OMG!!
SOMEONE WHO CARES

Huntington Station, NY

#13 Jul 29, 2008
ITS not THE SWIMMERS FAULT. THE SWIMMERS DONT KNOW WHEN THE LIFEGUARDS ARE OFF DUTY BECAUSE THEY USUSALLY HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THAT BEACH AND/OR DONT LIVE THERE OR QUITE NEAR BY THERE.
I THINK THAT THE LIFEGUARDS SHOULD STAY AT THE BEACH UNTILL THE SUN GOES DOWN. KIDS CAME IN ADTER 6, ITS STILL BRIGHT AND SUNNY AT SIX.
I THINK ITS THE LIFEGUARDS FAULT FOR NOT EXPANDING THEIR TIME & AND LEAVING EARLY WHEN THEY KNOW PEOPLE ARE OBV. GOING TO COME AFTER THEIR DUTY.
SO I BLAME THEM 100%
Kid Creole

Rensselaer, NY

#14 Jul 31, 2008
i've heard that neither of these people knew how to swim. if this is true then it is nobody's fault but their own. anyone who goes into the ocean without knowing how to swim is an imbecile. period. and to blame the lifeguards or the city of long beach is equally as stupid. while i hate to see the loss of human life, and i feel terrible for the families, these two young men obviously didn't have the basic common sense to keep themselves out of obvious danger.
SOMEONE WHO CARES

Huntington Station, NY

#15 Jul 31, 2008
its the lifeguards faults. and your stupid for saying that we shouldnt blame them.
lyloh

Bellmore, NY

#16 Aug 1, 2008
wow how are you people going to blame the life guards for this tragedy? the beach clearly says NO SWIMMING WHEN LIFE GUARDS are off duty. and it didn't matter if you knew how to swim because on that day the currents were so strong there was no way to fight it. Nature > Us. don't blame these people but give them respect because they really tried hard searching for them. it's just a shame that it had to end up this way.

rip
SOMEONE WHO CARES

Huntington Station, NY

#17 Aug 2, 2008
whatever. you all can say what you want.
i still believe its their fault. 100%
lyloh

Bellmore, NY

#18 Aug 3, 2008
their fault? alright let's see who will save you if you drown.
SOMEONE WHO CARES

Huntington Station, NY

#19 Aug 4, 2008
OUCHHH. thatt burnned.
i think im gonna go cryyy.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
seriously. i could help myself
since the stupi.d lifeguards dont to shi.t
Joe

New York, NY

#20 Oct 14, 2008
shelly wrote:
Police patrol the beach at night during the summer 24/7 with Auxiliary and Specials staying at the beach from 6pm-8pm after the beach closes keeping people out of the water. Officers can't be at every part of the beach at every second of the day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 18 min zef 311,492
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 20 min jimi-yank 40,935
Nassau/Suffolk High School Football (Nov '11) 57 min Curious Suffolk C... 13,343
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 59 min NYStateOfMind 330,734
HILLARY will be THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Dec '14) 1 hr Ozzie Malone 11,351
Where will Hillary keep the nuke codes? 2 hr friend of anthony 7
vote for the mule 2 hr friend of anthony 1
Topix Human Sexuality Forum Discontinued 4 hr Morgan R 28

New York Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New York Mortgages