The shepherd who saved the SEAL

Full story: Newsday

When Afghan shepherd Muhammad Gulab left this mountain home one morning in June 2005 to check on a strange noise his family had heard in the woods, he found a frightened and wounded American soldier pointing ...

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of42
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
sandy

Kuwait, Kuwait

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Oct 25, 2007
 
over in this area of the world a mans word is often his honor, i hope the saved seal has not forgetten the man who saved him and he seeks this man out and gives him back what this man gave to him, his life
Costa Pereira - Portugal

Lisbon, Portugal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Oct 26, 2007
 

Judged:

1

This man risked his life to help a U.S. soldier and thats the thanks he gets?
Shame on you USA!
Please show some gratitude!
This is why the American will continue to lose their friends and allies.
At the end, the only friends that the American will have are those that the money can.
Joe Thompson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Oct 28, 2007
 
Mr. Gulab (emphasis on the "Mr." part) and his family should be brought to the U.S. and be given protection, a nice house, a vehicle, some cash and a good job.

An excellent article with no discernible liberal bias of the writer. Being one of those that thinks this area of the world should be glassed over and not worth one GI's life, this article certainly modify's and/or constrains that viewpoint.
Ex-Abad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Nov 28, 2007
 
On the surface it would appear that we owe this man something. Keep in mind that this is a one sided story told mostly from Gulab’s side.

I was in Asadabad when this incident occurred, and actually knew Gulab and spoke to him often. Personally, I liked him. Nevertheless, keep in mind that just because an Afghan renders you aid under the code of Pashtunwalli, it doesn’t mean that he is your friend. Afghans are bound by their code of honor and will defend their mortal enemy the same as a friend. In Afghan eyes it does not mean friendship. Americans do not understand this. They think,“Oh, you helped me, you must be my friend.” The US treated Gulab as a friend until some unfriendly actions by him and other family members that were also involved in the rescue were discovered. But he doesn’t mention those to the reporter.

He complains about his $280 a month job as a base construction worker. At the time, that was over three times a good Afghan salary. Whole villages were begging and fighting for those jobs. He didn’t ever do any construction work either. There is a lot that Gulab leaves out of the story. Notice that he still collects his salary every two weeks for a job that he doesn’t have to do.

Sure, we could bring him to the United States where he could live the “American Dream” on minimum wage or welfare. The threats? Asadabad is a place where the Taliban could kill him anytime they want. They know where he lives. If he is alive it is because they want him to be or they don’t care. He dramatizes the threats for effect. There were other relatives that played a large part in the rescue as well that still live in the village. He moved close to the base because that is where the money was.

Like I said, I liked Gulab and would love to sit and talk with him again, but do I trust him? I would have to say in all of my dealings with him, not completely. You cannot understand Afghan thinking with American thinking. Notice that the Afghan journalist is quoted as saying that Gulab “did the right thing for his own honor,” not because it was just the right thing to do. We like things cut and dry, friend and foe, good and bad, black and white. In Afghanistan most things are gray. Just when you think someone is your friend they lie to you or stab you in the back. It is difficult to make a correct judgment unless you have walked the land and known the people.

Yes I am grateful to Gulab for rescuing Mr. Luttrell, and have told him so, but there is more to the story than is in this article.
Peter NY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Dec 17, 2007
 
A MUST read is "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. The tragic loss of 11 Navy Seals was a direct result of our Liberal members of Congress and the Media RE: Geneva convention bs and Rules of Enforcement. I'm sure Marcus, whose survival and rescue from Afganistan was truly unbelievable, has not forgotten Gulab.

Since: Jan 07

Wantagh, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Dec 18, 2007
 
Peter NY wrote:
A MUST read is "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. The tragic loss of 11 Navy Seals was a direct result of our Liberal members of Congress and the Media RE: Geneva convention bs and Rules of Enforcement. I'm sure Marcus, whose survival and rescue from Afganistan was truly unbelievable, has not forgotten Gulab.
it's actually Rules of Engagement not rules of enforcement.
RelicofRIP

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Dec 21, 2007
 
This is terrible... Why cant we see that we are screwing up this war by treating this afghan hero in this way?
My respect goes out to the man, he should have been set for life and his family well taken care of for assisting the SEAL.
After reading that, why would anyone want to help?
I thought we were supposed to be helping these people!
RelicofRIP

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Dec 21, 2007
 
nm I just read Ex-Abads post, sorry, that changes things..
Wxman

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Feb 4, 2008
 
This article depict the reason for the term "the ugly american". Most of the higher-ups do not understand that people from other lands are different. If the US continues to treat others in the described manner, there will be lots more Viet Nams. A lot of lost sons and daughters because of stiff-necked ignorance.
soon to be seal

Lowell, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Feb 25, 2008
 
true enough justice was not done in this reenactment. what you dont know is that although the seal was helped, before that he and three other seals engaged in battle with over 120 taliban men. he is a hero along with Danny Dietz, Mike Murphy, and Matt Axeelson. Read the book Lone Survivor if you want the real story.
soon to be seal

Lowell, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Feb 25, 2008
 
he didnt forget. maybe if you would all realize that he is a part of the worlds best special forces team and that he cant go around chatting on the phone all day to his buddies. He is part of covert top secret operations. HE fights for the freedom of his country and makes it possible for you liberal bastards to say what you do.
3yrcombat Viet Vet SpcOps

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Mar 11, 2008
 
"SEALs" can not be explained, You have to "Been there - Done that". I have 1965-1968 and my records are an E-3 Carrier based. I`m a "Total-perment" Disabled Veteran. I didn`t get that for sitting on a ship. "SEMPER FI"

Since: Jan 07

Wantagh, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Mar 12, 2008
 
^HOOAH!^
BJR

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Apr 18, 2008
 
It appears that the U.S. government and Lt. Marcus Lutrell have forgotten or have choosen to ignor the life saving acts in Afganistan of Mr. Garub, without trying to help him get resettled in Afganistn. Mr. Garub is now under a constant threat of death by the Taliban for not turning Lt. Lotrell over to the Taliban....So why is the U.S. government not doing the right thing and helping this man ??? When other Afgans see that we do not care about him, how many other Afgans do you think will act to save an American, when they see how badly we treated Mr. Garub....
How stupid and uncaring have we become, when we do not try to help some one that put his life at risk to save one of our own. It is time for you jerks in our government to step up and do the right thing to help this man........

Since: Jan 07

Wantagh, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Apr 28, 2008
 
BJR wrote:
It appears that the U.S. government and Lt. Marcus Lutrell have forgotten or have choosen to ignor the life saving acts in Afganistan of Mr. Garub, without trying to help him get resettled in Afganistn. Mr. Garub is now under a constant threat of death by the Taliban for not turning Lt. Lotrell over to the Taliban....So why is the U.S. government not doing the right thing and helping this man ??? When other Afgans see that we do not care about him, how many other Afgans do you think will act to save an American, when they see how badly we treated Mr. Garub....
How stupid and uncaring have we become, when we do not try to help some one that put his life at risk to save one of our own. It is time for you jerks in our government to step up and do the right thing to help this man........
believe me, he didn't forget. read the book.
Spanky

Lindenhurst, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
May 7, 2008
 
Any Human Being who is that Selfless will never be forgotten. I guess the Ancient Societies who occupy those Mountainous regions of the World aren't as uncivilized as we think. If Gulab is the kind of Person that we are fighting to protect then it changes my whole perception of having our Military in Afghanistan.
ryan

Saint Charles, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
May 26, 2008
 
this is the type of reporting that Marcus talks about in his book..he has heaped praise upon this man in his book..yet the best you can do is make it appear that this man has been abandoned by Marcus and the government. Ending the story with a quote, " I think he has fogotten me." Nice touch, take what was an inspirational story and smear it for your own gain.
ryan

Saint Charles, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
May 26, 2008
 
Everyone that takes this story for absolute truth...read the book. The liberal media is there for ratings and money, nothing else. Believe the guy who risks his life for terrible pay and is trying to achieve recognition for 19 men who did there duty in spite of any negative spin the media can put on this story.
bciowa

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Jul 3, 2008
 
I'm retired navy. I think we need to treat this Gulab better. He risked his own life to save the life of person he didn't know but that he knew the Taliban were trying to kill. This is how we repay him for his courage? To arrest him and then treat him like a traitor is not the way to build trust and good will with the people who's country we are in. We need all the help we can get and any advantage we can gain is vital. Go NAVY!
Badkarma

Englewood, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
Jul 14, 2008
 
Another thing that was left out was that; the reason the Taliban would not attack the village is because the Taliban relies on the Pashtuns to hide them, feed them, and protect them. The Taliban knew that if they attacked this one village that they might lose aid and a good hiding place from all Pashtuns. BTW, not to be critical but these were Navy Seals, not soldiers. Soldiers are Army, Marines are Marines and Seals are Seals. If you've ever been one you will understand the difference and the pride of each. Who knows if Marcus Luttrell has contacted Gulab or not, Marcus is back in Afghanistan right now. And the Book is Lone Survivor, not Sole Survivor. God Bless - Mike Murphy, Danny Dietz, Mathew Axelson, Marcus Luttrell and the other 16 men who gave the ultimate sacrifice on this day. We all hope to be as brave if put in the same situation. Hooah!
Ex-Abad wrote:
On the surface it would appear that we owe this man something. Keep in mind that this is a one sided story told mostly from Gulab’s side.
I was in Asadabad when this incident occurred, and actually knew Gulab and spoke to him often. Personally, I liked him. Nevertheless, keep in mind that just because an Afghan renders you aid under the code of Pashtunwalli, it doesn’t mean that he is your friend. Afghans are bound by their code of honor and will defend their mortal enemy the same as a friend. In Afghan eyes it does not mean friendship. Americans do not understand this. They think,“Oh, you helped me, you must be my friend.” The US treated Gulab as a friend until some unfriendly actions by him and other family members that were also involved in the rescue were discovered. But he doesn’t mention those to the reporter.
He complains about his $280 a month job as a base construction worker. At the time, that was over three times a good Afghan salary. Whole villages were begging and fighting for those jobs. He didn’t ever do any construction work either. There is a lot that Gulab leaves out of the story. Notice that he still collects his salary every two weeks for a job that he doesn’t have to do.
Sure, we could bring him to the United States where he could live the “American Dream” on minimum wage or welfare. The threats? Asadabad is a place where the Taliban could kill him anytime they want. They know where he lives. If he is alive it is because they want him to be or they don’t care. He dramatizes the threats for effect. There were other relatives that played a large part in the rescue as well that still live in the village. He moved close to the base because that is where the money was.
Like I said, I liked Gulab and would love to sit and talk with him again, but do I trust him? I would have to say in all of my dealings with him, not completely. You cannot understand Afghan thinking with American thinking. Notice that the Afghan journalist is quoted as saying that Gulab “did the right thing for his own honor,” not because it was just the right thing to do. We like things cut and dry, friend and foe, good and bad, black and white. In Afghanistan most things are gray. Just when you think someone is your friend they lie to you or stab you in the back. It is difficult to make a correct judgment unless you have walked the land and known the people.
Yes I am grateful to Gulab for rescuing Mr. Luttrell, and have told him so, but there is more to the story than is in this article.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of42
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

25 Users are viewing the New York Forum right now

Search the New York Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 24 min not a playa1965 304,936
OBAMA is the BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Nov '10) 1 hr Maude 14,179
Sexy Girl Arrest Records and Mugshots 1 hr Mugsy 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL COOL DUDE 68,161
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr No Warming 45,547
Nassau/Suffolk High School Football (Nov '11) 1 hr Pat-Med 27 10,169
A Real Taste of Filipino Home-Cooking Comes to ... 1 hr Angel of joy 8
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 5 hr NYStateOfMind 305,272
•••
•••

New York News Video

•••
New York Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

New York Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

New York People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

New York News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in New York
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••