Body art controversy more than skin deep

Full story: Newsday 101
Dawn Milano went to Cliff's Tattoo in Centereach recently to have her bottom lip pierced and a piece of jewelry inserted. Full Story
Nicole

Bronx, NY

#87 Mar 30, 2007
Banning certain piercings or tattooes is just pointless. Every piercing or tattoo has a chance of getting infected if you don't take care of it. I have a few piercing myself and haven't had any problems or do I know anybody who has had serious problems. It's a form of self expression that should not have to be limited in such a way that these officials want them to be. If you're getting a tattoo or piercing, common sense tells you that there could be consequences if it's not done correctly or taken care of. You are shoving a needle through your skin, the public aren't THAT naive.However, if by chance they are, they should be informed of risks in the shop before the piercing. I think these officials just want some excuse to ban facial piercings because maybe they think they are vulgar or inappropriate. If someones piercing gets infected or rejects or gets ripped out, it's their own responsibilty. If someone doesn't do a piercing correctly then it should be handled between the customer and the store should be held responsible and proper measures for the mistake should be taken. Just like with any other disastifid customer. There should be tighter laws on who can do the piercing, the tattooing, the branding and the scarification. Scarification and branding are basically cutting open your skin and leaving an open wound and I would imagine are much more risky than other forms of body modification. But, we have the right to do with our bodies as we please. If their mission is to protect health then they should make tighter sanitation and liscense regulations, not ban self expression.
Nicole North Babylon NY

Bronx, NY

#88 Mar 30, 2007
Banning certain piercings or tattooes is just pointless. Every piercing or tattoo has a chance of getting infected if you don't take care of it. I have a few piercing myself and haven't had any problems. It's a form of self expression that should not have to be limited in such a way that these officials want them to be. If you're getting a tattoo or piercing common sense tells you that there could be consequences if it's not done correctly. You are shoving a needle through your skin. I think these officials just want some excuse to ban facial piercings because maybe they think they are vulgar or inappropriate. If someones piercing gets infected or rejects or gets ripped out, it's their own fault. If someone doesn't do a piercing correctly then it should be handled between he customer and the store should be held responsible and proper measures for the mistake should be taken. There should be tighter laws on who can do the piercing, the tattooing, the branding and the scarification. Scarification and branding is basically cutting open your skin and leaving an open wound and I would imagine are much more risky than other forms of body modification. We have the right to do with our bodies as we please. If their mission is to protect health then they should make tighter sanitation and liscense regulations, not ban self expression.
Mary

United States

#89 Mar 30, 2007
tmptjohn88 wrote:
<quoted text>
Watch Equilibrium and THX 1138, and you will see where the legislators are getting their ideas from
Where would I find these?

“Read between the lines”

Since: Mar 07

Lindenhurst, NY

#90 Mar 30, 2007
Mary wrote:
<quoted text>
Where would I find these?
blockbuster netflix local movie store might have them, or you can buy them almost anywhere, like circuit city and best buy
Teenage Kid

Yorktown Heights, NY

#91 Mar 30, 2007
Is this a joke? If we sign waivers, get permission, and/or of age, how can the government seriously take away OUR RIGHT to get piercings and tattoos? It's ridiculous. It's our freakin' responsibility if it gets infected, and it's our responsibility to take care of it - why the hell should the health department care about the infections of OUR OWN CHOICES if they don't even attempt to take care of the obesity problem first? What, can't handle one thing so might as well settle with another? I understand alcohol at 21, and smoking at 19, fine whatever I don't really care about that. But, banning it all together because of "health issues?" Then ban smoking, that causes WAY more health issues than piercings. Ban alcohol. Oh, wait, didn't the government already do that and LOOK what happened? Underground bars, tons of criminal records, and total chaos in America. Yes, yes - let's take away business from THOUSANDS of tattoo and piercing parlors on Long Island and Suffolk County just because of infections. Then - dare I say - get rid of the cigarettes that NOT ONLY infect our lungs and give us cancer, but pollute the air. Mind your own business and if you believe it's ruining our lives, it's our problem. Let us take responsibility on it - because honestly? If you ban it, people will start piercing their own tongues, lips, eyes, etc. Oh, and wait - wouldn't that just cause MORE infections if you DO IT YOURSELF? Yes, yes - that'll COMPLETELY solve the problem.

Knowledge is power - so why does the government have any power? Ridiculous.
Scott

New York, NY

#92 Mar 30, 2007
Bimbo Island wrote:
Dawn Milano, 34, a mother of three from Centereach, who over the years had her navel, nose, and tongue pierced and plans to get her lip done.
Dawn is this week’s nomination for Long Islands Bimbo Hall of Fame.
By the way Centereach is another LI towns in rapid decline.
What a wonderful example for her children....
Teenage Kid

Yorktown Heights, NY

#93 Mar 30, 2007
Scott wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding me? Are you going to be prejudice and judge her just because of her piercings? So what if she has a few piercings, get over it. It doesn't make her a bad example.

America's full of ignorance these days, isn't it?
Ash

Waipahu, HI

#94 Mar 30, 2007
Scott wrote:
<quoted text>
Yah, because having tattoos and piercing makes a bad parent, right? Nevermind all that nonsense about feeding your kids, making sure they get an education, loving them, giving them a home, teaching them the rules of society, etc. Watch out for that body art!
Bimbo Island

Newtown, CT

#95 Mar 30, 2007
Teenage Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
"Are you going to be prejudice and judge her just because of her piercings?"
Yes!
Teenage Kid

Yorktown Heights, NY

#96 Mar 30, 2007
Bimbo Island wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes!
Then you are the ideal society for the government. Congratulations, are you a politician?
ginn miller

Brooklyn, NY

#97 Mar 31, 2007
Honestly is that a joke? Everyone in the United States under law has the right to express the way they feel. Its a part of the way people are, and the idea of banning ones expression of them self is absolutely ridiculous. This isn't about health concern, if you were worried about peoples health you should be putting your time and effort into finding cures for diseases. NOT ON PEOPLES LIP PIERCINGS. Honestly whoever's trying to ban this is a joke and i hope they fail miserably. Find something better to do with your time instead of picking on kids with lip rings because you don't like it.
Josephine

Stamford, CT

#98 Apr 1, 2007
i think it is stupid to ban these piercings, its not the governments decison about what we can and cant do to our bodies, its our choice what we would like to do!!
law against stupid laws

Starke, FL

#99 Apr 3, 2007
this is stupid, go focus on something important.
theres a big right to choose and enough restrictions for the chooser to be informed about any risks.
old ways for the old new ways for the new.
ashley

Malden, MA

#100 Jun 10, 2007
george wrote:
ANYONE THAT ENGAGES IN PIERCING OR TATTOOING IS ONLY PROVING THE EMPTINESS OF THEIR OWN SOUL. THESE MUTILATIONS DO NOTHING FOR THEIR APPEARANCE OTHER THAN MAKING THEM LOOK UGLY, MEAN SPIRITED AND DISGUSTING. THEY ONLY DEMONSTRATE THE DECLINE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION.
i hope your aware that you sound like a complete idiot. if people want to express themselves by modifying their body with piercings and tattoos, then mind your own business you shallow-minded fool.
angelica

North York, Canada

#101 Oct 11, 2007
george wrote:
ANYONE THAT ENGAGES IN PIERCING OR TATTOOING IS ONLY PROVING THE EMPTINESS OF THEIR OWN SOUL. THESE MUTILATIONS DO NOTHING FOR THEIR APPEARANCE OTHER THAN MAKING THEM LOOK UGLY, MEAN SPIRITED AND DISGUSTING. THEY ONLY DEMONSTRATE THE DECLINE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION.
I'M reading this and seriusly i haven't hear soo much bs in a long time, if ppl whant to get pierced or tattoo, is their body and they can do whatever they want with it.
banning this is like telling ppl who to sleep with, and trust me the decline of "wester civilization" happend way before the body art trend.
angelica

North York, Canada

#102 Oct 11, 2007
Forrest Gump wrote:
Bah! I would not date anyone who hates their body enough to destroy it. If they think so little about them selves how ill are they. At first looks are very important in a relationship. As your relationship grows there are other things that bind you together. Body art, bah!
i would date you, cuz i think in a relationship FEELINGS are the most important thing, oh! and INTELLIGENCE! which apparently u dont have.
"yes, i'm calling you and IGNORANT"
Muffy

Pearland, TX

#103 Feb 5, 2012
Go ahead and get that pretty tattoo, or that pierced lip and you'll be living in poverty the rest of your life. No one wants someone looking like a freak working for them.
e patch resident

Patchogue, NY

#104 Feb 6, 2012
If people want to put shitttt in their face...... Fine. If people want to put tattoos in places that can't be covered up...... Fine, but we live in a society where people still judge you on appearance. That's just the way it is. So if you want to be judged by others before they have a chance to know the real you, then put shitttt in your face and ink up your neck!
Mothertrucker

United States

#105 Feb 20, 2012
This entire conversation is completely stupid. America.... Land of the free... Freedom of speech. You don't like it GET THE F OUT!!! you don't have to like what other ppl wear or show as self expression!!! Get a life n move on!!!!!!

“Small gov't.Low taxes, Freedom”

Since: Mar 07

Ronkonkoma

#106 Aug 10, 2012
Muffy wrote:
Go ahead and get that pretty tattoo, or that pierced lip and you'll be living in poverty the rest of your life. No one wants someone looking like a freak working for them.

That's simply NOT the case anymore. This is the 21st century.

Now, to be sure, a Job on Wall street or in big business will not be on the block for someone with tatoos and/or piercings, but just from the nature of the personality of those professions, it wouldn't happen anyway.

I am a licensed professional and I have piercings and tattoos.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OBAMA is the BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Nov '10) 20 min Bloody Bill Anderson 17,490
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 20 min Not Gonna Happen 307,737
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 34 min positronium 50,184
We are Losing the Culture War for our Future 36 min Culture Auditor 1
Why Do Countrie's Need President's 1 hr The Phanton Hell ... 5
Eric Garner Murdered by Cop 1 hr mjjcpa 532
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 2 hr The Phanton Hell ... 9,678
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 3 hr jimi-yank 312,712

Blizzard Watch for New York County was issued at January 25 at 9:53AM EST

New York News Video

New York Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

New York People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE