Met Life Exposed
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Death of a Saleswoman

AOL

#1 Jan 3, 2010
Met Life needs to right a wrong. My story needs to be told. Widowed, I finished raising my kids, served my community (elected 4 times to the Utica, NY School Board) and was sought out by Met Life's Branch Manager, Joseph Dimeo. I trained in NY City, passed all the necessary exams including the Securities Exam which most in my office failed. I was 56 1/2.
I exceeded sales expectations, used as a motivational speaker at NE sales meetings, was written up in their Compass Magazine, given awards.
Learned later I was hired at a much lower salary than the others...$125 base pay...but my commission checks every 3 or 4 months were high. Earned between $38K and $42K and was offered the Branch Manager Ass't position which I turned down. I did so well, I purchased a Ladies' Boutique, was preserving the assets left by my late husband.
Met moved our offices into a partially completed office building. My space was serviced by the HVAC which serviced the portion of the building under construction. I had no knowledge of anything wrong. Never sick in my life, always full of enery, I dropped in a month thinking I had the flu. Symptoms were severe and got worse. I was put on short term disability by my boss. Undiagnosed for 3 months, tested for brain tumor. I had depth perception problems, metallic taste on my lips, heart problems, rashes, respiratory difficulty, short term memory loss, brain swelling which I later learned was toxic encephalopthy.
I was put on short term disability. Definition is you "cannot do your job". I did not know that. My boss did. For 3 months, I continued to try to place policies sold, etc. and turned in $22,000 to Met. They accepted it in spite of the definition of short term disability.
Thru the grace of God, I was correctly diagnosed 3 months after the illness. Sick building syndrome. My doctor was the Medical Director of SUNY Health Science Ctr., Syracuse, N.Y.
I was not allowed in the building by my doctor or Met. Met was afraid of the publicity. I had to give up the school board seat and close my store at a great loss due to the illness.
My doctor advised me to file a comp claim. I did. Met fought me..new lawyers every 3 months. Never collected for 2 1/2 yrs. and had to live on my retirement funds. My payment was based on $125 base pay not the $38K to $42 I was making.
Social Security, after having me see several doctors, awarded me disability. Met advised me in Jan. 1990 that my long term would be cut off in April in spite of my doctor's reports.
Non medical people made decisions and denied me 7 times.
I have been ill since 1990....at this time I am terminally ill...have been denied the pension I know I deserve. I was fired by Met for not returning to work within the year even though I was not allowed in the building. They lied, cheated, discrimated against me, violated all my rights and I was too sick to fight back and could not afford to fight this corporation.
They rewarded my loyalty with deception. They withheld a $600 bonus check, never gave me notice of the firing, never gave me vacation pay. I received notification of the firing until 3 months after the letter was sent.
I lost all my benefits. Lost all the monies I had set aside in plans for my children (5) and grandchildren, my house. Am 911d to the hospital regulargly. In a coma and on ventilator most of last Dec. Terminally ill as a result of the exposure in the building to formaldehyde, mastics. HVAC was defective. No fresh air being brought in.
I would like Met Life to pay me the earned pension they denied me so I can pay for my funeral and not burden my children.
I would appreciate comments from others who have been treated as I have been from a Corporation who is dirty, conniving, unfair. I have corresponded with them for many, many years. Given the run a round by their HR people and more specifically, David Sobel, Met Life NY.
Uncle Jesse

Jackson, NJ

#2 Jan 3, 2010
While you worked for them it was quite alright to steal, but now it's different? You bothered everyone you know to buy stupid policies. Now you demand compensation. Girls like you are called other titles. You're also faking victim by filing for a disability.

Get a real job instead of tricking other people into your schemes. You ain't no different than Madox.
Go take your medicine

AOL

#3 Jan 3, 2010
Uncle Jesse wrote:
While you worked for them it was quite alright to steal, but now it's different? You bothered everyone you know to buy stupid policies. Now you demand compensation. Girls like you are called other titles. You're also faking victim by filing for a disability.
Get a real job instead of tricking other people into your schemes. You ain't no different than Madox.
You are pig who needs medication and a heart.
Been there

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Jan 3, 2010
Google has sites for complaints about Met Life. Check with those, to start.

Did you eventually get comp? Not clear from your post. Still getting it? Did you sue the building? Or did Met Life own the building? Did this ever go to the Appellate Division? What did you lawyer say? What year did you last work?
20 yr battle with Met

AOL

#5 Jan 3, 2010
Been there wrote:
Google has sites for complaints about Met Life. Check with those, to start.
Did you eventually get comp? Not clear from your post. Still getting it? Did you sue the building? Or did Met Life own the building? Did this ever go to the Appellate Division? What did you lawyer say? What year did you last work?
I have placed complaints about Met on sites. Thank you for your interest. I got comp after 2 1/2 yrs. after depleting funds meant for my old age. My husband was a NY State Police Criminal Investigator (OCTF). He died in 1981 at age 51 of a massive heart attack. Salaries were not high at that time. The comp was based on my base salary of $l25 not on the $38K to $42K I was earning with bonuses which showed as income on W-2s. I settled for much less than it was worth as I was losing my house and a house I had for my children.
Met Life rented from a scummy contractor. Codes and Met showed the building had a certificate of occupancy that the building was completed months before it was done. We moved in Feb. 1990. Half the building was under construction but Met got the certificate of occupancy allowing us in.
I sued the builder but they contribute heavily to politicians and the Judge threw the case out saying I did not excercise "due diligence" in that I should have been able to diagnose myself. I am not a doctor and no one could correctly diagnose me for 3 months. I was so sick and so disgusted and I could not afford an appeal. Just before they filed the motion to dismiss, they had an offer on the table for me for $100K and then brought in another hot shot lawyer. I had no intention of suing. I loved my job. I was so well known in the community and had a reputation for integrity. They threw me away like garbage.
I am in constant pain. I was told the exposure would affect two organs. My lungs are gone. I now have cancer. My Mom lived to 96, no diseases, no meds. My Dad lived to 86. Died of normal causes. I suffer daily. Only leave the house to go to the doctor. Am tethered to an oxygen machine 24/7 for the past several years. I am in a damp, cold basement apt. instead of the beautiful home I had for 32 years.
I became ill in March of 1990. We moved into the building in Feb. 1990. For years I have fought with them, requested copies of the policies in effect when I was hired. They stalled me. I could hardly think straight.
At 78, I worry about burial funds. Cannot enjoy my 13 grandchildren and 13 great grandchildren and miss the comfort and safety of my home.
I paid for part of my disability insurance. I qualified under SS definitions which are the same as those stated by Met.
Please add your voice to my plea. Call Met Life in NY City. David Sobel eats because he successfully denies legitimate claims against Met Life.
We continue to bail out these big companies and let the working person fall by the wayside, victims.
God Bless.
PS to 20 yr Battle

AOL

#6 Jan 3, 2010
20 yr battle with Met wrote:
<quoted text>
I have placed complaints about Met on sites. Thank you for your interest. I got comp after 2 1/2 yrs. after depleting funds meant for my old age. My husband was a NY State Police Criminal Investigator (OCTF). He died in 1981 at age 51 of a massive heart attack. Salaries were not high at that time. The comp was based on my base salary of $l25 not on the $38K to $42K I was earning with bonuses which showed as income on W-2s. I settled for much less than it was worth as I was losing my house and a house I had for my children.
Met Life rented from a scummy contractor. Codes and Met showed the building had a certificate of occupancy that the building was completed months before it was done. We moved in Feb. 1990. Half the building was under construction but Met got the certificate of occupancy allowing us in.
I sued the builder but they contribute heavily to politicians and the Judge threw the case out saying I did not excercise "due diligence" in that I should have been able to diagnose myself. I am not a doctor and no one could correctly diagnose me for 3 months. I was so sick and so disgusted and I could not afford an appeal. Just before they filed the motion to dismiss, they had an offer on the table for me for $100K and then brought in another hot shot lawyer. I had no intention of suing. I loved my job. I was so well known in the community and had a reputation for integrity. They threw me away like garbage.
I am in constant pain. I was told the exposure would affect two organs. My lungs are gone. I now have cancer. My Mom lived to 96, no diseases, no meds. My Dad lived to 86. Died of normal causes. I suffer daily. Only leave the house to go to the doctor. Am tethered to an oxygen machine 24/7 for the past several years. I am in a damp, cold basement apt. instead of the beautiful home I had for 32 years.
I became ill in March of 1990. We moved into the building in Feb. 1990. For years I have fought with them, requested copies of the policies in effect when I was hired. They stalled me. I could hardly think straight.
At 78, I worry about burial funds. Cannot enjoy my 13 grandchildren and 13 great grandchildren and miss the comfort and safety of my home.
I paid for part of my disability insurance. I qualified under SS definitions which are the same as those stated by Met.
Please add your voice to my plea. Call Met Life in NY City. David Sobel eats because he successfully denies legitimate claims against Met Life.
We continue to bail out these big companies and let the working person fall by the wayside, victims.
God Bless.
Would like to add some additional information. I cannot receive treatment for the cancer because my lungs are too badly damaged from the exposure at the Met building. I have been told by my doctors I would die on a ventilator. Cannot tolerate chemo or radiation. They cannot test me to determine the Stage cancer is in or if it has traveled to other organs. I have been prescribed medication (just 1 Mg.) and it causes extreme excruciating pain in muscles, joints and all over my body. I cannot tolerate pain meds either so I am in constant pain. My faith sustains me. I qualified for a pension. They sent me the papers and then reneged.
It would make my life a lot easier if the financial pressures were alleviated by Met doing the right thing.
Been there

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Jan 3, 2010
Google "work comp kit blog". Go to "about us". Call and ask if they know anyone in NY who knows about these things.
Thank You

AOL

#8 Jan 3, 2010
Been there wrote:
Google "work comp kit blog". Go to "about us". Call and ask if they know anyone in NY who knows about these things.
Thank you so much. I will check it out.
I need a lawyer who will work pro bono and help me.
Uncle Jesse

Jackson, NJ

#9 Jan 4, 2010
Whiner, you're probably lying about everything. You're faking a disability after the work environment got rough. Just like a typical broad. Looking for a free ride.
Lemme splain

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Jan 4, 2010
Uncle Jesse wrote:
Whiner, you're probably lying about everything. You're faking a disability after the work environment got rough. Just like a typical broad. Looking for a free ride.
Jesse, nobody keeps up with a fight for 20 years unless something is very wrong. Problem is, you just don't know what goes on in some very big, very powerful companies. It's not like being employed by NYC or the county where no one can tell if you're working or not because there's no visible difference between the two activities.
Met Life Employees Beware

Syracuse, NY

#11 Jan 4, 2010
A few of Met's tricks were:
l. NYC trainers told me I was vested when hired because I was over 55. They later denied this.

2. Delayed me and lied to me for a period of years giving me false information or no information particularly re. Policies re. disability, compensation, pensions, etc. Their I&R people in NY, H&R people all over and Disability consultants are all trained to deny claims.

3. I was put on Short Term Disability by my boss when the illness did not go away. Long time later, found out the definition of "short term disability" is the "inability to do one's job". Trying to go back to work and keep up, I continued to try to sell from my home and went to the office once a week for about an hour to cash in. During the first 3 months on short term, I turned in $22K, premiums on new policies which Met accepted never telling me the terms of short term disability. I never received a commission on the sales. A $600 bonus for previous sales was at the office the day I filed for compensation and it was not given to me. The excuse used was I had to be "actively at work". Guess they had it both ways. I was on Short Term but I also was turning in money to them on sales earned during this time.

4. Six months later, I was put on Long Term Disability (Oct. 1990). In Jan. 1991, I was advised my Long Term would cease on April 10, 1991, later corrected to April 11, 1991. Someone had already been brought in from out of town to take over my agency even though I fully intended to return to work as soon as I could.

5. After several intense medical exams, I was approved for SS Disability in Jan. 1991, the same month I was told I would be denied Long Term benefits because I did not qualify. The definition of terms for SS and Met is identical...."cannot perform any duties for which one is trained, etc.". Met tried to cut my substantial benefits deducting $600 for the SS benefit. They knew they couldn't do that. I was widowed, did not have enough quarters in on my own and they could NOT take from my deceased husband's benefits but they tried.

5. I was not paid compensation benefits for 2 1/2 years. Every 3 months, Met would appear at the hearings with several new attorneys professing they were assigned the case and needed to familiarize themselves with it.

6. I was ultimately fired as of April 11, 1991 when they effectively cut off Long Term Disability benefits in spite of numerous doctor's reports as to my illness and disability. Non medical Met employees made medical decisions which impacted my life, destroyed my life and ruined me financially.

7. My attorney finally negotiated a $26K settlement (covering disability payments from Jan. to April 11, 1991). I have the W-2. Met denies the payment even though it took me right to my retirement date. I received papers to initiate my pension which I completed. They denied I was due a pension even though their phone service for employees gave my eligibility date loud and clear. It was later removed from the system.

8. Si Fine, Regional Manager for Met in Syracuse, NY, was demoted (no reason given) to Branch Manager in another State. I believe it was because he sent the letter firing me (which I received 3 months after it was written) and placed them in legal jeopardy. I believe he is still with them or engaged in selling Securities.

9. My boss ran off with his secretary, leaving his wife, mother, children and grandchildren and I believe is in Baltimore, Maryland. He knows full well the story.

The illness (multiple chemical sensitivities) has been experienced in a much larger sense by those exposed on 9/11, by our Vets who served and serve in foreign lands exposed to God knows what. They, too, have been denied medical treatment and adequate compensation.

MET NEEDS TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT.
liner

Bronx, NY

#12 Jan 4, 2010
You're not going to get anything off of here. Go hire a lawyer.
Jimmy Crack Corn

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Jan 4, 2010
Dear Internet,

I am a drooling tard! ITS MY MONEY AND I WANT IT NOW, Alexis Biedel! Never fart in Ganondorf's face, he is the CEO of Met and will take the throne in Rockerville when this trial is end. Help me prove case to Gossip Girl's master, Dragmire's underpants on a spleen. Traitor!
20 Year Battle Continues

Syracuse, NY

#14 Jan 4, 2010
Lemme splain wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesse, nobody keeps up with a fight for 20 years unless something is very wrong. Problem is, you just don't know what goes on in some very big, very powerful companies. It's not like being employed by NYC or the county where no one can tell if you're working or not because there's no visible difference between the two activities.
Right on. Ordinary people cannot afford to fight giant corporations and their dirty attorneys. They cover their tracks. Make records disappear and probably pay off OSHA and everyone else who can verify the toxic exposure levels.

When you lose everything, face terminal illness, considered uninsurable by the company who hired you in excellent health, confirmed by their doctor, lose $250,000 in life insurance, all monies set aside for your kids and grandkids in programs that had no cash value for several years, you learn how to fight to keep your kids out of debt for your final expenses.
Where is David Sobel hiding? Where are the records?
Come out, come out wherever you are, David Sobel!
Your secretary blew you in years ago. Poor woman was afraid of losing her job but had enough heart to confirm my qualification for a pension...small though it may be. 20 years would be a substantial amount and allow me to live the rest of my limited time in dignity.
Please...call Met, NYC. I am sure they do not like negative publicity and it is all true. Met doesn't SAVE as their ads claim. They SLAY the people who serve them well and reward loyalty
with circumvention of the truth to deny people what they have earned.
Uncle Jesse

Jackson, NJ

#15 Jan 4, 2010
You "gotta dance with who you brung". You was part of that filthy organization for many years. It's to late to now say you're a victim who needs tax-payer subsidies.

Met Life's hiring is continues for new sales bimbos. After you bother everyone you are remotely familiar with to purchase policies, you lose your edge and become a store detective.
Uncle Jesse

Jackson, NJ

#16 Jan 4, 2010
Get a lawyer?

I'm sure she's exhausted that angle already homie. No charity work. They only want sure cases.
Sick bastard Jesse

Syracuse, NY

#17 Jan 4, 2010
Uncle Jesse wrote:
You "gotta dance with who you brung". You was part of that filthy organization for many years. It's to late to now say you're a victim who needs tax-payer subsidies.
Met Life's hiring is continues for new sales bimbos. After you bother everyone you are remotely familiar with to purchase policies, you lose your edge and become a store detective.
I worked for Met for 2 1/2 years, widowed at age 56 1/2. Never wanted tax payer subsidies but believe people deserve what they earn. I am not, never was, a BIMBO. Obviously that is your perception based on your off bringing. I understand you were conceived in a cellar...need I say more?

You are a sick bastard, Jesse. What do you do for a living? Pimp?
Check out Uncle Jesse

Syracuse, NY

#19 Jan 4, 2010
Uncle Jesse wrote:
Who the hell would hire him? Check him out at his local address on Topix. He defends the indefensible and tries to discredit the non criminals who work for a living and are cheated.

Jesse needs a make over in body, mind and spirit. His looks make me puke.
Uncle Jesse

Jackson, NJ

#21 Jan 4, 2010
Two years of employment and you want a life time pension? May as well go for the lottery.
Uncle Jesse

Jackson, NJ

#22 Jan 4, 2010
What happen in Florida, where the judge ruled Met Life agents engaged in willful acts of fraud?

I guess you wash your hands of that sweet cheeks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 48 min Just Bev 19,701
We VS We (Nov '09) 1 hr THrilLa 2,964
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr cpeter1313 340,575
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 4 hr NYStateOfMind 344,587
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 5 hr save your souls 8,792
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 6 hr jimi-yank 47,489
News See it: Queens crook sticks tongue out at guard... 7 hr tru dat 1
President Trump's first 100 days - Roadmap to D... (Nov '16) 7 hr NEMO 7,486

New York Jobs

Personal Finance

New York Mortgages