Death toll up, gasoline lines grow in monster storm's wake

Nov 1, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WYMG-FM Springfield

New Yorkers awoke to the rumble of subway trains for the first time in four days on Thursday and the death toll continued to rise from the former hurricane Sandy, one of the biggest and most devastating storms ever to hit the United States.

Comments
1 - 20 of 28 Comments Last updated Nov 11, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

Judged:

President obama send in army gasoline tankers, there is no fuel for cars in NYC, send in tankers now
just saying

Barbourville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

Judged:

He can't. Spent all the money already on free cell phones with free 250 min. per mo. And Big Bird needs some scrach.
NolaGuy

New Orleans, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

Judged:

I could cry watching the stories and accounts coming from your community. It so reminds me of my suburban NOLA home town of Chalmette La. Blue collar town of good people, mainly Catholic, who worked hard every day of their lives. Of over 29,000 homes only 3 escaped Katrina's water and one of those was elevated had the roof and second story blown completely off.

If you can find help with family and friends. The US government got food dropped on Mogadishu in 24 hrs but they couldn't get MRE to the La superdome for a week.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police resue team got to my home town in a couple of days. It took FEMA or any other US agency over a week! I will admit I'm a middle class guy who didn't for our current president but I am honest enough to say the help out of D. C. got much better after he got elected.

If the SBA offers you a big loan be warned if its over 250k it's like pulling teeth from an angry tiger trying to get the money. And I say that after my loan officer said I had the highest FICO score he ever saw. It means nothing to them.

This disaster brings out the best in good people and worst in bad people. Don't give any contractor money up front. Be very sceptical of out of town contractors, if they were real, good contractors they wouldn't have to go 1000 miles to find work. The day you owe them less than they have work left is the last day you see them.

Take care, NOLA loves you and has you in our thoughts and prayers. I know the days are dark but the sun will shine upon you again.
galer

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

Muscle Mike wrote:
You people in new York claim to be so smart!! Why were you not prepared? Now it's up your ass!
Are you kidding me! No one can be prepared for that storm that came thru! They were as prepared as they could be. That was the biggest storm ever to hit New York, and the other cities. What a dumba$$ comment.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

Our local news reported this morning that the electrical utility linemen that went up from this area with their line trucks and equipment were turned away and asked to leave because they are not union workers. How selfish and nasty can those toads be during a disaster when there are people there that need electricity for nomal everyday functions?
Dan Salazar

Los Alamitos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

Maybe after the Marathon, the Mayor will release those big new generators for the health and well being of Staten Island families? What a guy!
Losers

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

Quit f crying you losers. All you do there is complain and now you whine that Uncle Sam doesn't come in and hand out $100. Hello. Grow a set and buck up. A bunch of Katrina wannabes. Hopefully it's Darwinism in action and good riddance losers.
Anonymous

Cairo, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

I live in the mountains of west virginia. I heard about the storm may come our way . I got ready on Saturday . I filled all of my gas cans 4 five gallon cans. I filled my riding mower and my generator went back filled my cans again total about 30 gallons . used 4 big 5 gallon plastic water bottles . washed out the bath tub filled it with water . went to store bought all canned food no perishable food . what we don't need we can eat later . you don't need to rely on some one else . learn to depend on your self . oh BTW we used the generator for only 4 hours .we got about maybe 2 inches of snow ..in my part of the state we had no alerts or warnings
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

People don't plan to fail,they just fail to plan!The people whining on TV about no insurance don't get sympathy from me. Insuring my assets comes before beer,electronic toys,smokes and fancy cars. If they can't afford insurance on their properties, they are living above their means.
changenowtheendi snear

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2012

Judged:

You people up there in those big towns have made fun of Ky people living in these hills so long sounds like we are not the red necks after all. Like one of the people said here in this post should have got prepared. People didn't leave should have took the warnings serious. Like my name says people want be prepared when Jesus comes back in on the clouds either. Get serious about your religion. We need to stop lesbian and Gay stuff and all the hatred with one another and parents not taking their children to church. God is just seeing how far we will go with sin. God I know is getting fed up with sin in America. Destruction is coming more ways than one. As for me I am ready to me my Jesus. Hope you are.
Obammy Bum

Spruce Pine, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2012

Judged:

galer- people were warned!! They elected to be a stupid yankee, now see where you are! Just keep YOUR ass up there!!!! You people and your leaders are not organized. You wanted the marathon, go run your ass off!!!! New York is a shit hole.
Community Disorganizer

Newtown, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2012

Judged:

myview3 wrote:
I live in the mountains of west virginia. I heard about the storm may come our way . I got ready on Saturday . I filled all of my gas cans 4 five gallon cans. I filled my riding mower and my generator went back filled my cans again total about 30 gallons . used 4 big 5 gallon plastic water bottles . washed out the bath tub filled it with water . went to store bought all canned food no perishable food . what we don't need we can eat later . you don't need to rely on some one else . learn to depend on your self . oh BTW we used the generator for only 4 hours .we got about maybe 2 inches of snow ..in my part of the state we had no alerts or warnings
New Yorkers expect someone else to take care of them, the dream of every New York is to have a Doorman!
lolol

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2012

Judged:

the libs want everyone jammed living on top of each other and all using public transportation in these roach infested 100 story deathtraps when the power goes out. after an event like this the feral population the likes of obama feeds and fills with hate daily kill and steal.

i'll take my 2 acres in the toolies, enough smarts to plan for emergencies and watch these city dwellers bask in the glory of the liberal utopia when the SHTF like last week.
NYer

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2012

Judged:

In the midst of the devastation from hurricane Sandy, we watch as people take advantage of the current state of humanity. In a time where we should be helping one another, people would rather fight and steal from each other. There were places ravaged; no gas, no electric, no home and some paid the ultimate price with their lives. Yet among us there are those who chose to fulfill their wanting desires, and take advantage of the misery around them. This is their Christmas, open season on all things material. Is this who we are? Is this a "civilized" society? Next week we will be hit again by a Northeastern, we are most certainly assured more damage. How will we act then? Will there be more looting, fights at the gas pump? I have seen lines wrapped around going for some distance, people waiting on gas, for days, fighting and people getting arrested, because we can not live without our luxuries. If your car has no gas, leave it in a parking spot. In a weeks time the gas stations will be running normally. Go for a walk, get some exercise, don't ponder on the negative. Turn this into a positive and don't be so consumed by the material. Of course, there is always the situation where we must wait on line at the gas station, because of a genuine need. If that be the case, help that person and let him or her in front of you on that long line. We can make it through this, but we must help one another. Give your neighbor a hand, help those who do not have. If you have and your neighbor is lacking, help him through these hard times.

“It's Just Me”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2012

Judged:

Imagine what could be accomplished if those of you here spouting discord, trash, and sarcasm, actually got off your butts and put your obviously creative minds to good use for once. Try helping find solutions, not contributing to the already huge problems. And remember please this storm has a 1000 miles of damages it's not just one city one area. It takes time and a whole lot of patience right now.
natyb

Toulouse, France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

changenowtheendisnear wrote:
You people up there in those big towns have made fun of Ky people living in these hills so long sounds like we are not the red necks after all. Like one of the people said here in this post should have got prepared. People didn't leave should have took the warnings serious. Like my name says people want be prepared when Jesus comes back in on the clouds either. Get serious about your religion. We need to stop lesbian and Gay stuff and all the hatred with one another and parents not taking their children to church. God is just seeing how far we will go with sin. God I know is getting fed up with sin in America. Destruction is coming more ways than one. As for me I am ready to me my Jesus. Hope you are.
Are you kidding ??? Your middle aged and narrow minded sermon was just a joke, wasn't it ? People with that kind of thoughts and beliefs just lead to hatred and make some want to be superior to others, destroy each others. That lead Christians and Muslins to slaughter others in the name of religion. Don't misunderstand me, I believe in God, but my belief helps me to get on in hard times and be thankful when good times but certainly not to try to justify any disaster with the idea of God's anger on anyone. Furthermore, I do not think you have to show yourself at church to be a good believer ; I have my religion inside of me, with my thoughts.
Disgusted in the Catskill

Monticello, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Muscle Mike wrote:
You people in new York claim to be so smart!! Why were you not prepared? Now it's up your ass!
Seriously?? This has got to be one of the most inane and ignorant statements I have ever heard! My mind is reeling with a plethora of really cutting come backs. Truly due to how sick your statement made me. Having vented just a little bit, I choose to be the better and YES, clearly smarter person by ending with.."shame on you" because it is people with a mentality like you that give the southern states and the people residing in them a bad name. Hospitality my rear! Oh, and by the way, New in New York should be capitalized. Have a wonderful day!

Monticello, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

myview3 wrote:
No disrespect intended but I would really love to know how so many of you southerners can sit here and spew true garbage out of your food holes. This is not directed at just any one of you, it is all I have been reading here. Minus the few that do know the facts of what is going on up here. People were in fact prepared. The difference is only within the more populated areas. I happen to have been very lucky living in the Catskills in NYS. We, as a whole are NOT relying on others. The destruction in many areas below my county is horrible and it's incredibly cold here. Between 27 and 33 degrees right now and dropped to 19 during the night. Due to a more dense population, there is just not enough help fast enough to help everyone. The north is being attacked and put down as if "we made" this happen, like we "caused" this destruction. Reading all of this ignorance and hatred has truly made me want to hurl.

Monticello, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Obammy Bum wrote:
galer- people were warned!! They elected to be a stupid yankee, now see where you are! Just keep YOUR ass up there!!!! You people and your leaders are not organized. You wanted the marathon, go run your ass off!!!! New York is a shit hole.
Haaaa ha ha...can you fill me in on what you are drinking? The only shit hole is the hole in your face spewing some pretty "stinky" verbage. People with a mentality like yours is actually quite amusing.

Monticello, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

raynesong wrote:
Imagine what could be accomplished if those of you here spouting discord, trash, and sarcasm, actually got off your butts and put your obviously creative minds to good use for once. Try helping find solutions, not contributing to the already huge problems. And remember please this storm has a 1000 miles of damages it's not just one city one area. It takes time and a whole lot of patience right now.
Ahhh...refreshing!!! And I am thankful for your statements above. I was getting so incredibly angry reading such trash I could not help myself and reply to some. Now realizing it was moot. ha ha ha...but I feel a bit vented.:) Have a great day!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

58 Users are viewing the New York Forum right now

Search the New York Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The President's popularity 3 min Progressive 1
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 min cpeter1313 305,173
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 6 min NYStateOfMind 306,021
OBAMA is the BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Nov '10) 49 min Pollys Opinion 14,400
If the Tea Party formed a Well Regulated Militia 1 hr Washington DC 7
Bad congressman: Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D.-Md.) 1 hr Washington DC 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Brian_G 45,860
Nassau/Suffolk High School Football (Nov '11) 4 hr the real deal 10,230
•••
•••

New York News Video

•••
•••

New York Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

New York People Search