Fast Eddie

Columbia, SC

#35658 Aug 12, 2013
It was good to see Jon Niese shake off the early rust and finish strong yesterday. Too bad about Jeremy Hefner's elbow problems and his possible trip to the DL. Looks like Hef and Jenrry Mejia will be having off-season surgery to remove bone chips. Even so, things are looking good for next year's Mets rotation: Harvey, Niese, Wheeler, Gee and either Hef or Jenrry. And Syndergaard and Montero in AAA. Niiice.

Hooray for Wilmer Flores! Now where do we put him next season? Given that even the new-and-improved Ike Davis cannot hit southpaws worth a sh!t,, I'm thinking that a Flores/Ike platoon at 1B might be a viable option. That leaves Josh Satin looking for a position, but that's no more than a minor problem. Satin, Turner, Quintanila and perhaps Tejada--if he ever gets the lead out--can battle it out for the job of IF sub.

I'm feeling good about 2014.

Veloz.
Fast Eddie

Columbia, SC

#35659 Aug 12, 2013
OMG! Did anyone else note how absolutely awful Jenrry Mejia looked tonight while trying to lay down a sacrifice bunt? Do they not teach bunting to pitchers in the Dominican Republic? Does the Mets farm system not instruct their pitchers on the basic fundamentals of bunting? Jenrry looked like a man trying to spear a goldfish in a wading pool. He poked weakly at a couple of curve balls as if they were hand grenades.

Question: do the Mets let their pitchers do anything at all with a bat during the season? How freakin' hard can it be to stick a bat in the way of a pitch?

Veloz.
Fast Eddie

Columbia, SC

#35660 Aug 14, 2013
About Matt Harvey: He said he had a bad performance because he couldn't locate his slider last night. That's only half the story. The Dodgers jumped all over his breaking stuff but Harvey wasn't throwing meatballs when they hit him. They were hitting pitches out of the strike zone, usually around the ankles. Batting from the left side, SH Nick Punto slapped a low, outside pitch down the LF line for a two-run double. The ball was barely fair. Other hits by AJ Ellis and Puig somehow found holes on the left side. Had they been a few feet in one direction or another, those "hits" would have been line outs or easy grounders. Another Dodger batter swung at a pitch over the plate that was about the height of a golf ball siting on a tee; the result was an eight-bouncer over second base for a hit.

Bottom line: when a team gets hot, this is the kind of craziness that happens. They can't get out of the way of the good fortune that befalls them. Their hitters could throw the bat at the ball and still find a way to het a key hit. Stuff happens. Right now the Dodgers can do no wrong. Let's see how they fare in late September and October. Sometimes a team will play just well enough to stay in the playoff hunt until the last week of the season, then get incredibly hot and wind up winning the whole thing. The 2006 Cardinals come to mind, as do last year's Giants. There are no guarantees about where the Dodgers will wind up in October.

One more thing, Keith Hernandez said something very true last night about what Matt Harvey needs to do the next time out: the Dodgers, particularly Juan Uribe, were going up to the plate and hacking at the first pitch, confident that Harvey would throw them something reachable. They know that Harvey is predictably around the plate with all his pitches. Harvey needs to "flip" these guys every now and then by throwing a first pitch under the batter's chin, just to let him know who's boss. No pitcher should let any batter feel comfortable in the batter's box. A little controlled wildness can be a very valuable tool.

Veloz.
Jerry Grote

AOL

#35661 Aug 16, 2013
Unlike everyone else on the Matt Harvey bandwagon, all this talk about Cy Young Awards and all that is just a tad premature. I think, barring arm injuries, he has a great future. But, in reality he is a victim of much needed hype to sell seats at Citifield. I am a Tom Seaver fan and I remember the '67 and '68 seasons when Seaver had teams much worse than the team that Harvey has now on the field behind him. Seaver goes out and wins 16 games both years. Harvey wil be hard pressed to get 14 wins this year.
Harvey got the start in the All Star Game because the game was at Citifield. Kershaw should have gotten the start all things being equal.
Maybe I'm in the minority on this subject but I for one do not think a Harvey start means an automatic W for the Mets.
To be honest, Kurodo is having a season equal to or even better than Harvey, and that pains me to say somthing positive about a Yankee.
Fast Eddie

Columbia, SC

#35662 Aug 16, 2013
On-second-thought Dept: I have long been a proponent of using a tandem of closers to finish ballgames over the course of a season. I prefer a lefty-righty combination, but I'm open to alternate solutions. Gonzalez Germen is causing me to re-think the issue. He's a righty who handles left-handed batters with ease, principally because he has a devastating change-up that moves down and away from LHBs, like a screwball. If Scott Rice and Josh Edgin are found wanting as southpaw bullpen options, I think Germen should be auditioned as a righthanded LOOGY, which is an oxymoron, I know.

Juan Lagares is now second in the NL in outfield assists,, with ten. This is not a fluke nor a statistical aberration; Lugares plays a shallow CF, charges grounders with abandon and has a strong, accurate throwing arm. If he can learn to hit about .270, he will be able to stay in the Mets' lineup for years strictly for the defense he provides. Lagares still chases too many pitches out of the strike zone, but he has cut down on his whiffs as he goes about learning to put the ball in play.

Veloz.
Jerry Grote

AOL

#35663 Aug 16, 2013
Fast Eddie wrote:
On-second-thought Dept: I have long been a proponent of using a tandem of closers to finish ballgames over the course of a season. I prefer a lefty-righty combination, but I'm open to alternate solutions. Gonzalez Germen is causing me to re-think the issue. He's a righty who handles left-handed batters with ease, principally because he has a devastating change-up that moves down and away from LHBs, like a screwball. If Scott Rice and Josh Edgin are found wanting as southpaw bullpen options, I think Germen should be auditioned as a righthanded LOOGY, which is an oxymoron, I know.
Juan Lagares is now second in the NL in outfield assists,, with ten. This is not a fluke nor a statistical aberration; Lugares plays a shallow CF, charges grounders with abandon and has a strong, accurate throwing arm. If he can learn to hit about .270, he will be able to stay in the Mets' lineup for years strictly for the defense he provides. Lagares still chases too many pitches out of the strike zone, but he has cut down on his whiffs as he goes about learning to put the ball in play.
Veloz.
Until Tony LaRussa invented "the closer" position, Eddie you know most teams used a few guys out of the bullpen to finish games. Just look at the Mets of 1969 and think Ron Taylor, Cal Koonce, Tug McGraw, Danny Frisella and you get the idea, none of this guys was a 9th inning pitcher. The relieved in the rare times a pitcher couldn't finish the game.
I can't tell you the amount of times growing up, if I missed watching the game, I turned on Channel 9 to catch Kiner's Korner and knew the Mets had won when they would show Seaver, Koosman, Matlack or whomever shaking Grote's hand. Seaver would have his cap pulled back on his head, knee dirty and game ball in his glove. Finishing a game was expected, now it is treated like a total eclipse.

“Is this the best we have?”

Since: Aug 07

Emerald City

#35664 Aug 16, 2013
Jerry Grote wrote:
Unlike everyone else on the Matt Harvey bandwagon, all this talk about Cy Young Awards and all that is just a tad premature. I think, barring arm injuries, he has a great future. But, in reality he is a victim of much needed hype to sell seats at Citifield. I am a Tom Seaver fan and I remember the '67 and '68 seasons when Seaver had teams much worse than the team that Harvey has now on the field behind him. Seaver goes out and wins 16 games both years. Harvey wil be hard pressed to get 14 wins this year.
Harvey got the start in the All Star Game because the game was at Citifield. Kershaw should have gotten the start all things being equal.
Maybe I'm in the minority on this subject but I for one do not think a Harvey start means an automatic W for the Mets.
To be honest, Kurodo is having a season equal to or even better than Harvey, and that pains me to say somthing positive about a Yankee.
I agree with you Ed. Harvey is not ready for a Cy Young award. Tomk Seaver had two major advantages when he pitched 1)in 67 he completed 18 games and 68 he completed 14 games, you were allowed to do that back then and 2) He was throwing from a 15 inch high mound not a 10 inch high mound like today. Kuroda doesn't bother me because he is 38 and at that age you should know how to win more than a 24 year old kid. I can only imagine what Harvey is going to be like in 2 years. A monster!!!!!
Fast Eddie

Columbia, SC

#35665 Aug 17, 2013
Sad to note that Jeremy Hefner's elbow may require Tommy John surgery. Bad break for the kid. The good news is that 18 months later Hef's elbow will be stronger than ever. Case in point: Jenrry Mejia, who looks terrific now.

Who will be the long man out of the bullpen for the 2014 Mets? Nominations, anyone?

Veloz

Emerald City

#35666 Aug 17, 2013
Fast Eddie wrote:
Sad to note that Jeremy Hefner's elbow may require Tommy John surgery. Bad break for the kid. The good news is that 18 months later Hef's elbow will be stronger than ever. Case in point: Jenrry Mejia, who looks terrific now.
Who will be the long man out of the bullpen for the 2014 Mets? Nominations, anyone?
Veloz
Carlos Torres, Jeurys Familia those are the two names that come to mind immediately, they are at least major league proven.

Emerald City

#35667 Aug 17, 2013
Fast Eddie wrote:
About Matt Harvey: He said he had a bad performance because he couldn't locate his slider last night. That's only half the story. The Dodgers jumped all over his breaking stuff but Harvey wasn't throwing meatballs when they hit him. They were hitting pitches out of the strike zone, usually around the ankles. Batting from the left side, SH Nick Punto slapped a low, outside pitch down the LF line for a two-run double. The ball was barely fair. Other hits by AJ Ellis and Puig somehow found holes on the left side. Had they been a few feet in one direction or another, those "hits" would have been line outs or easy grounders. Another Dodger batter swung at a pitch over the plate that was about the height of a golf ball siting on a tee; the result was an eight-bouncer over second base for a hit.
Bottom line: when a team gets hot, this is the kind of craziness that happens. They can't get out of the way of the good fortune that befalls them. Their hitters could throw the bat at the ball and still find a way to het a key hit. Stuff happens. Right now the Dodgers can do no wrong. Let's see how they fare in late September and October. Sometimes a team will play just well enough to stay in the playoff hunt until the last week of the season, then get incredibly hot and wind up winning the whole thing. The 2006 Cardinals come to mind, as do last year's Giants. There are no guarantees about where the Dodgers will wind up in October.
One more thing, Keith Hernandez said something very true last night about what Matt Harvey needs to do the next time out: the Dodgers, particularly Juan Uribe, were going up to the plate and hacking at the first pitch, confident that Harvey would throw them something reachable. They know that Harvey is predictably around the plate with all his pitches. Harvey needs to "flip" these guys every now and then by throwing a first pitch under the batter's chin, just to let him know who's boss. No pitcher should let any batter feel comfortable in the batter's box. A little controlled wildness can be a very valuable tool.
Veloz.
I do enjoy Keith's analysis especially when it comes to pitchers giving batters a little chin music, ala Gibson, Marichal, Seaver, Drysdale, Ryan, Carlton, and Koosman. I do miss the way the game was played in the 60's. Don't get to comfortable batter hit this!!!
Jerry Grote

Rockville Centre, NY

#35668 Aug 18, 2013
Your team stakes you to a 2-0 lead. You know darn well that they don't score more than that for you. You are talked about reverently by the team's announcers and certain media types as some kind of new "Franchise" You have to pitch shutout baseball and not allow the other team to score.
Be honest, how many of you really thought Harvey was going to win this game 2-0? I for one knew it was just a matter of time before he gave up the tying runs. A great catch by Lagares kept him from giving up the go ahead runs.
I'm sorry guys, I'm just not on the Harvey bandwagon.
Fast Eddie

Columbia, SC

#35669 Aug 19, 2013
Jerry Grote wrote:
Your team stakes you to a 2-0 lead. You know darn well that they don't score more than that for you. You are talked about reverently by the team's announcers and certain media types as some kind of new "Franchise" You have to pitch shutout baseball and not allow the other team to score.
Be honest, how many of you really thought Harvey was going to win this game 2-0? I for one knew it was just a matter of time before he gave up the tying runs. A great catch by Lagares kept him from giving up the go ahead runs.
I'll agree, Jerry. The expectations of some fans are rather excessive. Harvey is a talented hurler but he's not yet in the Seaver category. Dillon Gee's performance today was one of the best I've seen from any Mets pitcher this year. Gee actually knows how to pitch; Harvey is still learning his craft.

But I will state something in Harvey's defense about the San Diego game: The Padres had an incredible amount of blind luck in their two-run inning. The leadoff batter got plunked by a curve ball that just got away from Harvey. If it had been a fastball, they might have had to carry him off on a stretcher. The next guy hit a chopper that managed to get over Harvey's 6' 4" frame and roll to a spot where nobody could field it. A sacrifice bunt and an weak infield single preceded the long drive that Gold Glove candidate Lagares snagged for a sac fly. That was the hardest ball the Pads hit in the entire inning. Harvey deserved better.

As for the future, I can't wait to see what a mature Harvey and Wheeler can do in 2014, along with a healthy Jenrry Mejia, plus Jon Niese and Dillon Gee. But it's still 2013 and there are growing pains that must be endured.

Veloz.
Displaced Met fan

Asheville, NC

#35670 Aug 19, 2013
Jerry Grote wrote:
Have to disagree with you Jerry, this kids the real deal a dominant pitcher that will only get better and stronger as he matures.
Displaced Met fan

Asheville, NC

#35671 Aug 19, 2013
Harvey vs Scherzer Saturday, what a pitching duel that should be.
Jerry Grote

AOL

#35672 Aug 20, 2013
Displaced Met fan wrote:
<quoted text>Have to disagree with you Jerry, this kids the real deal a dominant pitcher that will only get better and stronger as he matures.
Yes, he will be better and stronger as he matures, I totally agree with that. I just don't put him in the Cy Young talk or even the, "Harvey goes today so that's a W." The Mets are trying to sell tickets I understand that. Maybe a year from now I will change my thinking, but for now I agree with Fast Eddie, Dillon Gee pitches, Harvey throws.
Displaced Met fan

Asheville, NC

#35673 Aug 20, 2013
Nice win by the Mets tonight and a great game by Zach Wheeler. Did you know the Mets are 33-26 since calling up Wheeler who along with Harvey give the Mets the best young one two punch in baseball.
Displaced Met fan

Asheville, NC

#35674 Aug 20, 2013
More firsts for Zach, did you know tonight he became the first rookie pitcher to beat the Braves 3 times in a season since Tom Seaver.
Clearwater Pete

Clearwater, FL

#35675 Aug 20, 2013
Hey Dis: Great to see you picking up the action.I'm not up on the Mets goings on these days, but it seems that Harvey is the best addition to the Mets in the past few years.He seems to be adding some excitement. At the very least,he got people making comparisons with some of the greats in the past.That says something. Your comment on the height of the mound in days gone by vs.today was an interesting point. A 15"mound would make for a lot more 20 game winners and HOF'ers.
Fast Eddie

Columbia, SC

#35676 Aug 21, 2013
Because of the Braves' territorial blackout of all telecasts except theirs, I have to watch Dumb and Dumber instead of the SNY crew today. Even Simpson and Carey are saying that the Mets have turned the corner and will be tough in the next few years with a rotation of Harvey, Niese and Wheeler. And that's not even taking into account the "new" Dillon Gee, plus the return of the injured Jenrry Mejia and closer Bobby Parnell.

Oh, lookee there, Juan Lagares just recorded another outfield assist on a foolish Braves runner. Ho-hum, number eleven. In only 86 Games.

And Josh Satin just clubbed a homer. Not bad for just a sub, eh? And now Flores gets a hit. Ah, youth.

Question: Should the Mets use the money that formerly was Santana and Bay's to obtain Jacoby Elsbury in the FA market?

Veloz.

“Lets go Mets/49ers”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#35677 Aug 21, 2013
Fast Eddie wrote:
Because of the Braves' territorial blackout of all telecasts except theirs, I have to watch Dumb and Dumber instead of the SNY crew today. Even Simpson and Carey are saying that the Mets have turned the corner and will be tough in the next few years with a rotation of Harvey, Niese and Wheeler. And that's not even taking into account the "new" Dillon Gee, plus the return of the injured Jenrry Mejia and closer Bobby Parnell.
Oh, lookee there, Juan Lagares just recorded another outfield assist on a foolish Braves runner. Ho-hum, number eleven. In only 86 Games.
And Josh Satin just clubbed a homer. Not bad for just a sub, eh? And now Flores gets a hit. Ah, youth.
Question: Should the Mets use the money that formerly was Santana and Bay's to obtain Jacoby Elsbury in the FA market?
Veloz.
Think Sandy is leaning more towards Shin Choo. Its a damm exciting time to be a Mets fan. What a future they have. I cant wait till 2014 and beyond. NY finally has a team in MLB to be proud of

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 15 min jimi-yank 312,869
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 15 min SpaceBlues 50,404
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 35 min Mychihuahuawillbite 307,980
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 44 min sesame street 9,726
Fox is going down (Dec '09) 51 min sesame street 5,832
OBAMA is the BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Nov '10) 54 min Warren Wilhelm Jr 17,506
HILLARY will be THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER 55 min sesame street 222
last post wins! (Jun '10) 1 hr _MrsB_ 25,520

New York News Video

New York Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

New York People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance