“Is this the best we have?”

Since: Aug 07

Emerald City

#35574 Jun 26, 2013
Though the Mets did not win last night it can be said that the game was always in reach. Wheeler has a bit of growing to do and that's fine because even at this early stage in his career he keeps you in the game and gives your team a chance to win. He's competitive and that is an edge in the majors. Once Wheeler hones his skills and becomes accustomed to the Major Leagues he will develop into a fine starter to go along with Harvey. Not disappointed at all with his performance.

Emerald City

#35575 Jun 26, 2013
Fast Eddie wrote:
Zack Wheeler experienced some normal growing pains last night, but it was a positive performance nonetheless. He was tipping his pitches, hung a slider that ended up in the seats and managed to strike out only one batter. On the other hand, he pitched well with RISP; three of the Chicago runs scored on outs, not hits.
Time for Dan Warthen to earn his salary by working with Wheeler on things like arm slot, holding runners on base and not slowing his motion when throwing an off-speed pitch. Let the maturation process continue.
Veloz
As always Veloz you hit the nail on the head.
Fast Eddie

Columbia, SC

#35576 Jun 27, 2013
Time for a Little Heresy Dept.

Wow, Marlon Byrd was truly a wonderful acquisition during the offseason! His performance in the month of June has been outstanding, including six home runs and at least two spectacular throws from RF. And while he has been the second-best everyday player on the Mets' roster, we all know that this will probably be his only season with the club. I would guess that his trade value is about to max out in July, which would be an ideal time to include him in a trade package for a young OF hitting prospect who is still a year away from the bigs.

Would Sandy have the nerve to do it? Vamos a ver.

Veloz

“Another 240 million”

Since: May 09

Up in smoke

#35577 Jun 28, 2013
Nice 7-4 road trip for the kids...Matt tonight in the BIG CITI followed by Gee and Zack
Fast Eddie

Columbia, SC

#35578 Jun 28, 2013
Hmm, adding Eric Young, Josh Satin and Juan Lagares to the lineup seems to have made the Mets absolutely decent against southpaws this season. Who knew?

I really like the way Satin wields the bat. He has the ability to wait an extra click before wristing the bat quickly through the zone. He may not hit a lot of taters but he has the capacity to stroke a lot of doubles. When Ike gets back he should never start against LHPs; Satin should.

As for the outfield, how about a Young/Nieuwnhuis platoon? Both are good defenders, with speed and good arms. Young is a better hitter against lefties while Nieuwenhuis can hit only RH pitching. A match made in heaven. Meanwhile, Lagares is starting to look very comfortable in CF and at bat. Needs to learn the strike zone a little better. With his speed, he needs to work the count a little better to improve his OBP.

Veloz

Emerald City

#35579 Jun 30, 2013
Looks like the players are actually trying to be a winning team. A couple of young hungry kids sprinkled over some young veterans that want to be on a winning team finally and some older veterans that want to show that they still can play. Now this combination could make the rest of the season interesting. Unlike the last GM this Gm seems to have found players that a) Have something left in the tank b) Have something to prove to the Majors or c) The want to stay in the majors.

“Another 240 million”

Up in smoke

#35581 Jul 1, 2013
Met Mad Hatter wrote:
Looks like the players are actually trying to be a winning team. A couple of young hungry kids sprinkled over some young veterans that want to be on a winning team finally and some older veterans that want to show that they still can play. Now this combination could make the rest of the season interesting. Unlike the last GM this Gm seems to have found players that a) Have something left in the tank b) Have something to prove to the Majors or c) The want to stay in the majors.
And a farm system overflowing with talent...can't wait till 2014 and beyond

“Another 240 million”

Up in smoke

#35582 Jul 1, 2013
Juicekees now 1 1/2 games from the basement....it won't be long

“world champs, 3 in 9 years”

Since: Mar 13

Boston, Ma

#35583 Jul 1, 2013
momma chamberlin wrote:
Juicekees now 1 1/2 games from the basement....it won't be long

Both NY teams are horrible. Aren't you the frontrunner that use to come in the sox thread kissing tail? What do you know?

Emerald City

#35584 Jul 1, 2013
momma chamberlin wrote:
<quoted text>And a farm system overflowing with talent...can't wait till 2014 and beyond
Very true. The Double A team at Binghamton is stacked with pitching and some hitters. Ike Davis better start hitting because if he doesn't then Allan Dykstra will be showing up at spring training in 2014 ready to make a bid for 1b.
Jerry Grote

AOL

#35585 Jul 2, 2013
When the Mets made the Dickey trade, of course D'aunard was the key piece. They wanted John Buck in the trade as a fill in until the kid was ready for the big leagues, which they figured would be July. There were some red flags though and that was the fact the kid had some injury problems, mostly knee injuries. That is a little scarey seeing he is a catcher after all. The Mets made the trade anyway and of course the kid gets hurt slowing down any progress he could have made at Triple A.
Buck, meanwhile does a Johnny Bench imitation in April, and the Mets look like they have finally pulled the wool over some other team's eyes. Well, not so fast Met fans. John Buck has reverted to what he really is, a journeyman catcher who couldn't hit a beachball if it was lobbed underhanded to him.
Last night, his baserunning in the 9th inning should cost him a fine from the manager. His run means nothing, so what does he do? Typical play from a very weak player. Of course he strikes out with the basesloaded, he can't get a flyball when you need to score someody from 3rd with less than 2 outs, it just goes on and on with this guy.
Collins should consider playing the backup a little more. The kid better recover from his foot injury and then get him up to the majors. If they don't bring him up sooner rather than later this season, he probably will start next season in the minors again because they will say that this was a lost year and he didn't get enough seasoning in the minors.
Either way, time to put Buck out to pasture.
Fast Eddie

Columbia, SC

#35586 Jul 3, 2013
Yeah, stick a fork in John Buck; he appears to be well cooked. I'd like to see Recker start four times a week for a while. If and when D'Arnaud finally makes it to Flushing, Recker might be a good backup. But we won't know until he plays with regularity.

Veloz
Jerry Grote

AOL

#35587 Jul 3, 2013
Fast Eddie wrote:
Yeah, stick a fork in John Buck; he appears to be well cooked. I'd like to see Recker start four times a week for a while. If and when D'Arnaud finally makes it to Flushing, Recker might be a good backup. But we won't know until he plays with regularity.
Veloz
Eddie, as I'm watching the NY feed of the Met game, you are probably watching the ESPN feed, the Met announcers just said that Collins is thinking of playing Recker a little more than he has. Keith Hernandez said he thought that was a good idea.
Fast Eddie

Columbia, SC

#35588 Jul 7, 2013
Terry Collins says that he's not thinking of platooning Ike Davis and Josh Satin at 1B this season. My question: why the hell not? How can he possibly keep a bat like Satin's on the bench against lefties? Does Terry seriously think that Ike has suddenly learned to hit southpaws? C'mon, TC, wake the frack up!

Veloz

“Another 240 million”

Up in smoke

#35589 Jul 7, 2013
Since The Csptains closed door players only sit down after their last loss to the Cubs the kids are playing some good baseball...Road Warriors

“Stay cool!!!!!”

Since: May 08

New York, NY

#35590 Jul 7, 2013
momma chamberlin wrote:
Since The Csptains closed door players only sit down after their last loss to the Cubs the kids are playing some good baseball...Road Warriors

are you going to invite them to the suite at citi??

are you going to tell them you are paid by the mets?

are you going to tell them sandy calls you all the time?

You tell us this bs in the yank forum. why not share it with them...
Tango

Tempe, AZ

#35591 Jul 7, 2013
momma chamberlin wrote:
Hey fatso moron.....both Harvey and Wheeler got lit up like Christmas trees in their last outing.....stop talking stupid crap fatso.....you are a quitter big time.....you did so on here many of times in your tman profile.....you phony coward in the Carolinas.....LMFAO
Tango

United States

#35592 Jul 7, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>
are you going to invite them to the suite at citi??
are you going to tell them you are paid by the mets?
are you going to tell them sandy calls you all the time?
You tell us this bs in the yank forum. why not share it with them...
Sh it no....fatso won't even tell em he's been an outta work on welfare fat bum in the Carolinas for years either....hiding like a fat coward.......no Debbie nor Jen either......a liar, a stalker and a bitter foul mouth quitter is momma/tman in a nutshell.....
Jerry Grote

AOL

#35593 Jul 8, 2013
Fast Eddie wrote:
Terry Collins says that he's not thinking of platooning Ike Davis and Josh Satin at 1B this season. My question: why the hell not? How can he possibly keep a bat like Satin's on the bench against lefties? Does Terry seriously think that Ike has suddenly learned to hit southpaws? C'mon, TC, wake the frack up!
Veloz
Eddie, while we both know that Satin has been a minor leaguer for his career, and he was never in the Met future plans, I agree that you can't be sitting him while he is this hot. Play him against lefthanders, and maybe not just at first. He plays second and the outfield as well. While they aren't going to contend for the playoffs, every win gets them closer to .500 and also gets the losing attitude out of the clubhouse and organization.
If I'm Collins, I'm looking to do whatever it takes to win games, not soothe Ike Davis' ego.
Fast Eddie

Columbia, SC

#35594 Jul 8, 2013
I agree that Satin has looked like a completely different player this time around. He has a great eye at the plate, a short, hard stroke, and he beats left-handers like a tom-tom. Ike is looking a bit better since his desert vacation, but I'll bet he's still going to look like a fool against southpaws. A Satin-Davis platoon makes the most sense here. The guy whom Satin has replaced is Lucas Duda; and I'll wager that even after he cools down a bit, Josh will still be a better offensive player than Lucas.

Another platoon should be Nieuwenhuis and Lagares. They are the best options to patrol CF and don't hit well against pitchers who throw from the same side of the plate as the batter. Andrew (friend of the Kingfish) Brown could be used to give Marlon Byrd an occasional breather in RF, leaving LF to Eric Young, the only legitimate leadoff candidate/base-stealing threat the Mets have.

And while I'm at it, let's just stick a fork in Shawn Marcum, call him well-done, and turn the #5 spot in the rotation over to Carlos Torres, who has earned a shot at a real job.

Veloz

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 34 min jimi-yank 312,875
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 50 min Beverly Jo 9,749
last post wins! (Jun '10) 1 hr The Phanton Rider 25,533
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr Brian_G 307,991
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Earthling-1 50,424
Eat.... which one :P 4 hr ismet jata 1
Review: MID City Gym & Tanning- W. 42nd Street 4 hr Moltion 4
OBAMA is the BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Nov '10) 7 hr Paul Yanks 17,513
HILLARY will be THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER 7 hr Younohoo 226

New York News Video

New York Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

New York People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]